Player Watch #40: Callum Coleman-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit more grace please. CCJ did nothing wrong other than going to another club for opportunity, nothing that 1,000 players haven't done previously. And we did well in the trade. Happy all round. He might have been a good player for us but he is hardly Noah Balta.

You're right. There's no need for anything more than the traditional pitchforks and flaming torches here!

1633963627309.png

Hmm NM went after him based on one thing. He has potential. Potential for them to attain a top line ruckman in time.

We wanted to keep him based on nothing but potential and thought that potential would take him to being a very good key forward moving fwd and was worth a pick around 20.

Its all in what perception you have on it all.

Some say future 2nd is a good result others will point out with the trading of picks it works out at about pick 35.

At the end of it all my perception about him is he looks only an okay ruckman and an okay forward great at neither not a player id be looking to build a team around or worry about chasing after.

Obviously NM think differently. I think they have him pegged right though. If he is to become very good in a role it is more likely as a ruckman imo.

Dunno if the reports I've heard are true but supposedly he went to NM not just for more game time, but for more ruck time.

If true then seems to me likely that playing ruck is what he wants to do and so where he'll play his best footy.

Dunno if the reports I've heard are true but supposedly he went to NM not just for more game time, but for more ruck time.

If true then seems to me likely that playing ruck is what he wants to do and so where he'll play his best footy.
Yep he and NM think his best role is as a ruckman i agree with this. I can think of two things that will hold him back as a forward and i have mentioned them a bit well before he wanted to leave. Imo he lacks pace and Agility to play as a key forward permanently.

Atm he lacks size and strength both are needed for him to become a top line ruckman but they are things that can be fixed with simple long term development.

Imo we may have lost a future ruckman but as far as that goes we have two good uns aged 26 Nankervis and 25 Soldo.
We also have a bloke out of basketball who is 213cm tall and 111kg he may take a bit of time but fmd what a monster and what if he actually works out and makes the grade.!!!!!!! We also have an undersized 206cm fellow in Sampson Ryan who shows good signs at vfl level anyway.

Losing a ruckman atm is no big issue for us imo.

I'm one who says don't let the door hit you on the way out...and you don't want anyone on the list who's not 100% committed.
But looking at how that Xerri deal didn't play out, and what North seem to be like, still seems amazing we got as good a deal as we did.
Feels like CCJ might have said, if you can't get a trade done, I won't be leaving in the PSD.
And if that's the case...then I shan't boo him...but I suppose who'll never really know.

Last edited:
Yep he and NM think his best role is as a ruckman i agree with this. I can think of two things that will hold him back as a forward and i have mentioned them a bit well before he wanted to leave. Imo he lacks pace and Agility to play as a key forward permanently.

Atm he lacks size and strength both are needed for him to become a top line ruckman but they are things that can be fixed with simple long term development.

Imo we may have lost a future ruckman but as far as that goes we have two good uns aged 26 Nankervis and 25 Soldo.
We also have a bloke out of basketball who is 213cm tall and 111kg he may take a bit of time but fmd what a monster and what if he actually works out and makes the grade.!!!!!!! We also have an undersized 206cm fellow in Sampson Ryan who shows good signs at vfl level anyway.

Losing a ruckman atm is no big issue for us imo.

Not sure he was ever going to be a great first ruckman. I think he’d be most missed as a fwd.

We got more for CCJ than The Tyronasaurus Vickery who was originally a pick 8 . Just hope this pick 20 turns out to be better than the pick 26 for TV which netted us Shai Bolton.;):cool: I thought CCJ was starting to show some potential this year and i was worried about losing four years in development for a possible late second round pick or even a third round pick, but i'm satisfied with the net outcome.

Not sure he was ever going to be a great first ruckman. I think he’d be most missed as a fwd.
He has hardly scratched the surface in the role while with us. Just my opinion but i think we had his primary role pegged wrong.

.I really don't care how good he becomes in either role but just my opinion there is a bit of sauce Jacobs about him.Imo he was going to struggle to become a consistent key forward because of deficiencies that have been spoken about. He may prove me wrong it won't be the first time but i just don't think he has the athletic qualities needed to play key forward on a permanent basis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back