Player Watch #40: Eddie Ford

Remove this Banner Ad

Nick Larkey, Tristan Xerri, Charlie Comben, Ben McKay and Eddie Ford will be among the players enjoying the tutelage of Rocca, with the club boasting an exciting mix of developing key-position talls.

...so apparently the club sees Eddie as a KPF 😍

Any thoughts on why he slid so far?

Seems to tick a lot of boxes - Great size, Skills, Marking, Goal kicker & Genuine X-factor. Only knocks on his games seem to really be that he has a tendency to “go missing” & the whole “flanker that wants to be a mid” story.

Seems like a bit of a larrickan, could it be that he was perceived as a not taking it serious? I’m nitpicking, but I genuinely do not get how this guy slipped so far, he has the tools to be an absolute freak.

Seems to tick a lot of boxes - Great size, Skills, Marking, Goal kicker & Genuine X-factor. Only knocks on his games seem to really be that he has a tendency to “go missing” & the whole “flanker that wants to be a mid” story.

Seems like a bit of a larrickan, could it be that he was perceived as a not taking it serious? I’m nitpicking, but I genuinely do not get how this guy slipped so far, he has the tools to be an absolute freak.

Larkey pick 73 Psi. That's a slip as well.

Similar to Curtis Taylor. Questions over endurance and consistency. I’m confident he’ll be a good one, very driven.

Played for a lower ranked team, played in the 2nds a lot at yarraville seddon, didnt get a chance to show off his skills this year due to covid.
Was rated higher when the story of him getting fyfe footage came out and how he wanted to model his game after him but then obviously slid on draft night.
I remember him even being top 30 at one point.

He has very natural forward craft, match that with his speed and vertical leap he’ll be hard to stop in the air. He done well as a small/pseudo CHF in his underage year playing in a bottom side.

Speaking to a few guys involved at the western jets, Ford was adamant at the start of the year that he wanted to be a midfielder.

The same guys said he only slipped because clubs were uncertain as to where his position would be. They also said that Ford had made huge improvements with his tank that he was going to spend plenty of time in the midfield last year had the season gone ahead.

“He has a unique character, incredibly hard trainer and one of the most coachable kids that has come through our system”

If he can get to 193-194, then look out.

Could possibly be a Gunston type, if he can grow a bit more.

From all reports he was going to play midfield this year, so I am really intrigued as to how this kid develops and where he plays. His highlights are a small sample, but very impressive nonetheless.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has very natural forward craft, match that with his speed and vertical leap he’ll be hard to stop in the air. He done well as a small/pseudo CHF in his underage year playing in a bottom side.

Speaking to a few guys involved at the western jets, Ford was adamant at the start of the year that he wanted to be a midfielder.

The same guys said he only slipped because clubs were uncertain as to where his position would be. They also said that Ford had made huge improvements with his tank that he was going to spend plenty of time in the midfield last year had the season gone ahead.

“He has a unique character, incredibly hard trainer and one of the most coachable kids that has come through our system”

Thanks RF - Again, just so strange he slipped to where he did, he’s the surest thing of our 2020 crop bar Phillips & Powell for mine.

Thanks RF - Again, just so strange he slipped to where he did, he’s the surest thing of our 2020 crop bar Phillips & Powell for mine.

looks to have a huge ceiling. You’re right it’s weird. Reminds me of Zurharr and Hayden pick-ups. Very sexy. Very un-north-like to go for the guys with the great hilights package/exciting attributes.

I guess we’ll get a better read in the intra club / vfl games.

Could possibly be a Gunston type, if he can grow a bit more.

From all reports he was going to play midfield this year, so I am really intrigued as to how this kid develops and where he plays. His highlights are a small sample, but very impressive nonetheless.

I'm not seeing it personally mate.

Kinda reminds me of an Aaron Hamill type. Hard, versatile, good mark for size.

I loved the look of him pre-draft - surprised he went so late, glad he did.

Looking forward to seeing him develop.

Early on, the risk will be playing a few games and going missing though.

Kinda reminds me of an Aaron Hamill type. Hard, versatile, good mark for size.

I loved the look of him pre-draft - surprised he went so late, glad he did.

Looking forward to seeing him develop.

Early on, the risk will be playing a few games and going missing though.

Feel like it’s also part and parcel with that position (HFF), being arguably the most difficult to play.

Taylor, Zur, TT all have gone missing in that position. Interesting to see how they develop him long term, especially if he grows a couple more cm’s.

Feel like it’s also part and parcel with that position (HFF), being arguably the most difficult to play.

Taylor, Zur, TT all have gone missing in that position. Interesting to see how they develop him long term, especially if he grows a couple more cm’s.

I agree.

Many on here forget though. The inevitable calls of ‘I don’t see it with him’ and ‘should be dropped’ will come out.

As they did for Mahoney and many other developing forwards - such as the ones you name. Or midfielders. Or defenders. When they don’t get 20 touches or 3 goals a game or get a few goals kicked on them when the midfield offer no defensive cover.

Non private school?
I think there might be something in that.

He went to Overnewton College. Its a private school, but it is in Taylor's Lakes so it probably doesn't count. To far to the North west too be a "real" private school.

If he can get to 193-194, then look out.

I've previously said he reminds me of Fev, i think it's his presence and kicking style. If he gets to 193-194 then he becomes a really interesting proposition.

I've previously said he reminds me of Fev, i think it's his presence and kicking style. If he gets to 193-194 then he becomes a really interesting proposition.

He's a bit more mobile for mine, although that's going by nothing more than some highlights..

He plays like a 1990's HFF (not Winston).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back