Player Watch #40: Eddie Ford - Round 24 Rising Star Nominee - Congratulations Eddie

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
140330987_2881896612089616_2249257280015877902_n.jpg

There is just something about him!

During one of the interviews during the year he mentioned that he wanted to model his game on Nat Fyfe, can see a lot of similarities there in regards to his overhead marking ability and body shape.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR

During one of the interviews during the year he mentioned that he wanted to model his game on Nat Fyfe, can see a lot of similarities there in regards to his overhead marking ability and body shape.

From memory he actually asked Freo for game footage of Fyfe to study.

On page 1 of this thread:

AFL draft prospect Eddie Ford lauded as a ‘big-game player’
Eddie Ford has already sourced footage of some of the AFL’s biggest names and starred on the MCG — and he’s only 18.

Luke D’Anello
December 8, 2020 - 12:30PM
Leader
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader.../512bb2c008ae10e26256823239d0eb32#share-tools
Eddie Ford will bring plenty of X-factor if he is picked up by an AFL club. Picture: Getty Images

Eddie Ford will bring plenty of X-factor if he is picked up by an AFL club. Picture: Getty Images

Eddie Ford has showcased his ability on the MCG on the last Saturday in September.

The Western Jets draft prospect shone in the under-17 All Stars game before the 2019 AFL decider between Richmond and GWS Giants.

Locking horns with the best players across the nation in his age group, Ford racked up 20 possessions and booted two goals to be among the leading performers on the ground.

While it was a curtain-raiser to the main event at the time, a cancelled season amid the coronavirus crisis has given the fixture extra significance.

That is only good news for Ford ahead of Wednesday’s AFL National Draft, with the 18-year-old touted as a second-round pick.

“Eddie’s a big-game player,” Jets talent manager Luke Williams declared.

“He sets himself for big games, and it was no surprise he performed quite well in the first half of that game and he’s done some special things when he’s represented Vic Metro as well.

“I’d expect them (recruiters) to put a lot of weight on that game.

“It’s probably the last time the most talented players in the country of his age group have played together, so they’ll definitely be referring back to that.”

Western Jet Eddie Ford is an impressive prospect. Picture: James Ross

Western Jet Eddie Ford is an impressive prospect. Picture: James Ross

Ford was preparing for a shift into the midfield in the NAB League this year before the pandemic intervened.

He produced an impressive season for the Jets in 2019, voted the club’s best under-age player after averaging 14 disposals and almost four marks from 16 games.

Ford developed his craft across the half-forward flank as a bottom-ager, displaying his aerial prowess and strong decision-making.

But the midfield is not foreign to Ford, who spent plenty of time there in his junior days at Yarraville-Seddon.

He also performed with aplomb in a forward/wing role for the Eagles’ senior team in the Western Region Football League in 2018, finishing top-10 in the best-and-fairest after starting the season as a 15-year-old.

“The term X-factor is pretty prominent with Eddie and he possesses a lot of special AFL traits that clubs are looking for,” Williams said.

“From that point of view, he’s obviously been the player of most interest at the Jets for clubs.”

Standing 188cm, Ford recorded the equal best running vertical jump (94cm) at last month’s state combine.

“He tested the best at the Vic combine for his vertical leap, so that height combined with his leap makes him a real tough match up for defenders,” Williams said.

“He’s very good above his head, has some great goal sense and is quite creative with his hands as well.”

Speaking to Leader Local Footy earlier this year, Ford said he had used the shutdown period to address his weaknesses.

“I was looking forward to (2020). I had a pretty good pre-season, a couple of niggles here and there, but overall it was pretty good and my 2km (time trial) was a good standard and better than last year,” he said.

“The coronavirus hasn’t affected me a whole lot. I’ve been able to not neglect this time and not using it as a break, but keep using it as a platform to work hard, develop my strengths.

“I’m getting a lot more time in the gym, which is handy, so can strengthen the body up a little bit.”

Ford also sourced footage of the likes of Fremantle skipper and dual Brownlow medallist Nat Fyfe and West Coast star Elliot Yeo.

Champion Data likens Ford to Port Adelaide young gun Connor Rozee.

“Identifying a player of such high quality and looking into the finer details of that player is quite mature of Eddie,” Williams said.

“Obviously Nat and some of the elite players in the AFL, we know the special things they can do, but they also do the basics really well.

“He learnt a lot from dissecting some of the AFL players as to how to best round his game. Eddie still got a few things to work on, despite his talents, and going about it the way he did by dissecting vision when he wasn’t allowed to play was a good approach.”

RooIntheZoo you seem to be linked to Eddie - can you give us any more information on how he's enjoying his time at North so far? Any indication as to where he views himself playing, where the coaches might see him playing?

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah he's my new fav player, he chose number forty cause the boys call him Fordy.

He aint the brightest spark ladies and gentlemen and that I have on very good authority. Now that doesn't mean he'll struggle to play. Glen Freeborn was a certified idiot and was instrumental in us winning in 96.

I like him. And so do the players

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Yeah he's my new fav player, he chose number forty cause the boys call him Fordy.

He aint the brightest spark ladies and gentlemen and that I have on very good authority. Now that doesn't mean he'll struggle to play. Glen Freeborn was a certified idiot and was instrumental in us winning in 96.

Do u have proof of idiocy?

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au

Either was Carey early doors.
His media interviews were car crashes and sounded pretty dumb

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Did reasonably well in VCE and got into his preferred uni course I believe, so not exactly a numbskull.

Phillyroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
Yeah that's not the be all and end all of life. fu** me man, I left school in year ten with a negotiated pass. I now have many a Uni degree f***ers reporting to me . Oh I do remind them fyi.
Hmmmm, interesting posting by you on this thread tonight.
First you are into someone about his intelligence, then talking yourself up... you been on the beers today or something??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back