Player Watch #40: Eddie Ford

Remove this Banner Ad

were there any knocks on him attitudinally? could have just been the lack of exposure re COVID? but I agree, hard to fathom at 56, given he can play

Unpopular opinion, but only thing I can think of is Western Jets bias. Eddie seems a bit more relaxed then our other draftees who were all in leadership roles at private schools (bar Phoenix), which may have added to the unfair bias.

Our benefit in the end.

He is a character. Good western suburbs boy. He will drag people through the gates in a few years

He is also the type of player and person that will change the perception of us as boring and stodgy and having a lot of "good clean cut boys". He's a little rough around the edges, he celebrates goals by doing finger guns at his opponents, he proudly sports a perm, he's a bit quirky and weird and different. I hope he plays for us for a very long time

At the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter where we drafted him. It’s to our benefit that the 18 clubs (including us obviously) didn’t rate him a top 50 pick.

No inside knowledge on this at all, but I would imagine that that would motivate a kid like Ed who worked on his game, and on his body as much as anyone in the last 3 years. In saying that, the upside is as big as any of our recent draftees with Ed,he will rock up next year bigger (much bigger), stronger and having had a taste of it.... could be a real factor for us next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter where we drafted him. It’s to our benefit that the 18 clubs (including us obviously) didn’t rate him a top 50 pick.

No inside knowledge on this at all, but I would imagine that that would motivate a kid like Ed who worked on his game, and on his body as much as anyone in the last 3 years. In saying that, the upside is as big as any of our recent draftees with Ed,he will rock up next year bigger (much bigger), stronger and having had a taste of it.... could be a real factor for us next year.

I believe the fact that he played at the Western Jets harmed his drafting position because their program is perceived to be not as good as others plus his "lad" attitude is contraire to your Phillips, Rowell etc types. Maybe these combined impacted where he was selected. One thing I reckon they would mostly agree on is that he can football.

It seems he's thriving in a professional organisation. May it continue because he could be a star.

Last edited:
So 2022 and beyond what is our best fwd half combination.

F)Zurhaar. Larkey. Mahoney

HF)Horne. Comben. Ford

Wingmen) Thomas & Stevo

I/C) Curtis/Spicer

Curtis interchangeable with Ford
Spicer with Mahoney...

???

looks a talented group, and quickly has gone from a team weakness to a team strength.

Mahony for all his defensive/pressure acts might find it hard to get a game next year.
Think Horne can cover that - also need to fit Powell/Phillips into the side as well.
Nobes seems to like a defensive winger like Lmac to balance our offensive players

I believe the fact that he played at the Western Jets harmed his drafting position because their program is perceived to be not as good as others plus his "lad" attitude is contrair to your Phillips, Rowell etc types. Maybe these combined impacted where he was selected. One thing I reckon they would mostly agree on is that he can football.

It seems he's thriving in a professional organisation. May it continue because he could be a star.
100%

I posted as much after the draft.

I believe the fact that he played at the Western Jets harmed his drafting position because their program is perceived to be not as good

100%. I posted as much after the draft.

I've read this knock on the Jets before and I hope recruiters and spotters can see deeper than that

A chicken snitty tastes the same at Highpoint as it does Chaddy Food Court (yep, channelling Arch referring to the facilities at Arden St)

I've read this knock on the Jets before and I hope recruiters and spotters can see deeper than that

A chicken snitty tastes the same at Highpoint as it does Chaddy Food Court (yep, channelling Arch referring to the facilities at Arden St)
Not if it’s not prepared the same way it doesn’t....

Not if it’s not prepared the same way it doesn’t....

Those charged with identifying talent have ample opportunity to make an assessment on a player such as Ford (pre-covid of course) irrespective of the 'program'.

I've done some work with a NAB Club (not Jets) and the priority is development and potentially draftees over wins. They measure their success on draft day. I am not saying some programs are not better than others but I think ultimately the cream rises to the top and if Ford was overlooked purely because he played for the Jets then more the fool said recruiting guy and kudos to North Melbourne recruiting guy.

Those charged with identifying talent have ample opportunity to make an assessment on a player such as Ford (pre-covid of course) irrespective of the 'program'.

I've done some work with a NAB Club (not Jets) and the priority is development and potentially draftees over wins. They measure their success on draft day. I am not saying some programs are not better than others but I think ultimately the cream rises to the top and if Ford was overlooked purely because he played for the Jets then more the fool said recruiting guy and kudos to North Melbourne recruiting guy.
Look I don’t disagree with you... but I think the jets program is stand out shitfull.
Look through the last 3 drafts at how many kids got selected from there. The coaching, and as a result development has been substandard.
Eddie played and starred in the Grand Final prelude in the “all stars” game. He was an academy player, and yet despite being touted as a top 20 pick by some prior to last years non season slipped past clubs that passed on picks at the end of the draft.
I’m not sure our recruiting team identified him as a slider, or just got to that pick, and went with...”we have gone Mid, Mid, Mid, small fwd.... go on, pick him, because he just happened to be there”.

either way, as I said earlier, it doesn’t matter where he was picked, he is ours; he is good... and he will get better.

Gone from a focus to falcon in the past fortnight, ceiling of a mustang

Remove this Banner Ad

Back