Player Watch #40: Eddie Ford - Round 24 Rising Star Nominee - Congratulations Eddie

northbergs

All Australian
Dec 24, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was going through some VFL stats earlier and was reminded of his round one BOG performance against Williamstown.

19 disposals, 10 marks, 5 goals, and one behind. In a 102 to 78 win. You can watch the highlights here.

He then gets brought into the senior side and struggles to do much in his two games which we lost by a combined 176 points. His games were poor, but he spent a lot of time on the bench and his numbers aren't that far off our other forwards who were struggling to get involved in those games.

He then gets a foot injury at training and comes back into the VFL 5-6 weeks later, where he flounders and has VFL form that's not only worse than his game against Williamstown, but is worse than his 2021 numbers. In his last four VFL games last year and his first this year, he kicked 11 goals and had 16+ disposals every game. After his return, he had 16 disposals once (averaged 11.5) and kicked 10 goals in 8 games.

If you're looking for a player who could surprise everyone under Clarko's new regime, then I think Ford could be the one. He clearly has the talent and his development curve up to that game against Williamstown had him on track to be a really good player.

There are definitely some spots for grabs up forward in our best-22 and I wouldn't be shocked at all if Ford puts his hand up for one of them. I think you need as many dangerous forwards as you can and if by the end of next year our forward line is Larkey, Zurhaar, Curtis, Ford, Sheezel, and Comben, then I think we'd be in really good hands.

Reckon his ceiling is higher than Curtis Taylor’s (and I’ve been a fan of his). Just needs a clean run with injury, a string of senior games and the opportunity to play in a more attacking line-up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Bit of a forgotten one out of all our younger guys. Still has oodles of talent

I’m hoping that we’ll see him attend a Nfew centre bounces at VFL level this year, as a junior he was pretty solid as a clearance player and he attacked the contest with a bit of flair.

Really hoping he puts pressure on Ziebell/Zurhaar for those 3rd tall forward line role.

Packing on the weight???
A7A3E66D-2C65-42EA-A754-8D8241E3A8D2.jpeg
BD51A37B-5D0D-4A61-AEA0-3369B2D2E81A.jpeg

Hopefully it’s not just the gym lighting 😌

Kangaroos techno

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think that's just your typical workout pump.

Looks to be a lot leaner on the track. Worringly we tried the same thing with ziebell and cunnington early on in an effort to improve their aerobic capacity. But it ended up making them less impactful in the contest.

Mazda has been ragdolled a couple of times already in pre-season. May be between a rock and a hard place given our plethora of mid-sized forwards now. Going to interesting to see if he can reinvent himself. Has time on his side.

northbergs

All Australian
Dec 24, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There’s something about Ford - reckon if the dices roll the right way he could end up a superstar. Hope Clarko can work out what his best position is and have him demand that spot.

I agree, there’s something about him. Unfortunately, he had a bad run with injuries so let’s see if he can get a good run at it and break back in. I reckon if Curtis Taylor is in the best 22 and Eddie’s obviously currently not, then his is the spot to take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
Yep. Had some really good moments but didn’t get a stack of it, pretty sure he kicked one and missed another opportunity. Looks significantly fitter than last year.
Like Powelly & Zurhaar I feel he’s pretty happy with Nobes being turfed.
Will be an interesting watch this year.
Here’s hoping he kicks a few bags early in the reserves & demands some more AFL time.

Phillyroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
Yep. Had some really good moments but didn’t get a stack of it, pretty sure he kicked one and missed another opportunity. Looks significantly fitter than last year.
I’ve only watched the first half, but he was really really good from what I saw. Got plenty of it, and had a hand in 5 goals, and kicked one himself. Had he been more selfish could have had a few more shots.
That spilled mark at the top of the goal square hurt him… but thought he was one of the better players in the blue team to the break, and the commentators agreed.

Back