Retired #40: Luke Lavender - retires due to persistent injury - 18/2

Remove this Banner Ad

While I understand your post being a technical selection one with no bad intent, just a heads up that to a lot of Aboriginal people, saying someone is a quarter or half Aboriginal etc can be offensive. To a lot if they identify as Aboriginal then they are Aboriginal, not percentages of.

Why would anyone identify with such a small portion ( < 1/64) of their ancestry? I think that when a person is raised in a particular culture they will probably identify as being of that culture, regardless of whether they share much ancestry with other members of that culture. But if someone was not raised in a strongly aboriginal culture, and they were 1/64 aboriginal (like myself), then identifying as aboriginal would only make sense if they also identify with all the other portions of their ancestry. If they identify with all portions, then that doesn't fit with the common understanding of identity.

This is probably the wrong forum to discuss such issues, but these issues should be open to respectful discussion, and not shut down because it might offend someone. In my experience, aboriginals and part aboriginals are not offended by genuinely discussing concepts of race and identification, and non-aboriginals can be overly cautious in avoiding offence.

Why would anyone identify with such a small portion ( < 1/64) of their ancestry? I think that when a person is raised in a particular culture they will probably identify as being of that culture, regardless of whether they share much ancestry with other members of that culture. But if someone was not raised in a strongly aboriginal culture, and they were 1/64 aboriginal (like myself), then identifying as aboriginal would only make sense if they also identify with all the other portions of their ancestry. If they identify with all portions, then that doesn't fit with the common understanding of identity.

This is probably the wrong forum to discuss such issues, but these issues should be open to respectful discussion, and not shut down because it might offend someone. In my experience, aboriginals and part aboriginals are not offended by genuinely discussing concepts of race and identification, and non-aboriginals can be overly cautious in avoiding offence.
Who knows? They might be proud of that aspect of their ancestry. I know I probably would be if I had indigenous heritage. It's a pretty amazing culture and for it to have survived for 60,000 or so years is cool.

To be honest, in general, I find the 'what percentage of aboriginal are you?' quite offensive. If somebody identifies as an aboriginal australian, they're accepted by and are engaged with their mob as much as they can be, then they're as indigenous as anyone else.

They take up to 1/64th Aboriginal. (My former club cricket captain participated as 1/64th :p)
Naturally, I'm fairly disappointed in you here eth-dog.

1/64th seems a long bow to draw if there is no other blood from that same race anywhere along the line.

That means you are talking about your 'great great great great Grandparent'

If you go back that far it is more likely he should be claiming himself as Italian, Greek or German.

1/64th seems a long bow to draw if there is no other blood from that same race anywhere along the line.

If you go back that far it is more likely he should be claiming himself as Italian, Greek or German.
It’s not how it works though is it? It’s about identity and clan membership. I know for sure my family claims heritage of probably a 1/32nd or so, mostly because that is where the surname comes from. I’m 1/2 something else but no one ever talks about Mum’s side. Even Mum claims Dad’s heritage by marriage hahaha.

And looking to model his game off Daniher... that athletic type I guess he means.

Aim for the moon, and even if you miss you'll land among the stars.
Isn't the moon much closer than the stars

I think you are missing the point that it is not about 'blood' per se but rather identity.

It’s not how it works though is it? It’s about identity and clan membership. I know for sure my family claims heritage of probably a 1/32nd or so, mostly because that is where the surname comes from. I’m 1/2 something else but no one ever talks about Mum’s side. Even Mum claims Dad’s heritage by marriage hahaha.
mutter mutter just doin it for the welfare and the sympathy
/andrew bolt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently had shoulder surgery before coming to the club, and is still on a modified program (although it's modified anyway coz he's an ickle firsty).

New recruit, Luke Lavender, had surgery to his shoulder prior to coming to the Club and is progressing well.

“Obviously as a first year he has a modified program anyway. We are getting a lot of those athletic development work into Luke in the meantime,” Crow said.

“It has been five months since his surgery, so it’s looking very good and he is doing very much a first year players program.”
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2018-01-19/injury-update-19-january

WIll be interesting to see how he develops.

Last basketballer we had was Jenkins right and we gave up on him too early. (I realise we had ryder/Bellchambers back then on the way up)

WIll be interesting to see how he develops.

Last basketballer we had was Jenkins right and we gave up on him too early. (I realise we had ryder/Bellchambers back then on the way up)

Bit harsh to say we gave up on him. Crows promised him a seniors spot before we were prepared to so we agreed to a trade. It did take him a further 2 years to become a quality player (and a position change) and he was already starting as a mid aged player.

He was a cricketer who I think might have played under 16 rep footy. I think this is how we knew about him.

He's not a complete novice when it comes to footy.

He trained with West Adelaide at U16 level (picked out of a grandstand due to his height) but never played a game as it clashed with cricket committments. He's not a complete novice re footy, but pretty close.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back