Retired #40: Luke Lavender - retires due to persistent injury - 18/2

Remove this Banner Ad

Good luck trying to bag Luke out guys if he plays a poor game, old mate Scott will be having words with ya haha

Also lets not demand information on Luke from him, he will post something if he feels inclined to do so he is in no way obliged to tell us anything so please lets all show some respect.

Re the poor game, I'll be leading the charge!! :tearsofjoy:

Some words from his old man on Blitz

"He is an athlete, and looks good at most sports he turns his hand to. I’d hope his development will be rapid. They are very keen to develop him as a ruck/key forward.

Tested and met with at least 7 clubs, and there was a bit of interest from 4 of those. Even with my bias, Essendon far and away treated both Luke and us the best. They could not do enough for us!

It’s been a long process (pretty much 12 months) and involved him having a shoulder reconstruction about 2 months ago to tidy up some cricket-based issues. He’s raring to go, and will make the move across to Melbourne in coming weeks.

He knows of Aaron Francis, but nothing more than that I don’t think.

For those who like numbers: at Essendon’s mini combine last year he did a 2.95 sec 20 metre sprint, has a 79cm standing vertical leap, 87 cm running vertical left, 74 cm running vertical right.

He is perhaps actually closer to 203-4 cm tall now, as has grown since being measured at 202 cm by Essendon last year."

Need an Elliott Carver delicious gif.

It's exactly what we need to add to the list and gives us the flexibility to take smalls in the drafts.

The way I look at the tall athletes/sportsmen is that they're probably more of a chance of making it than all but the highest profile 200cm under 18 players. The development guys get to start from scratch so there are no bad habits, etc.

You just have to look at the quality of the footy that Draper played this year.

Edit: he kicks the ball naturally, too, which is cool.

Last edited:
I'm officially ded

Interesting prospect. Wonder how much ruck time he'll see and how much forward time he'll get.

Draper is more physically mature and has an extra year of development so he'd have to get more ruck time because it suits him and us.

There is definitely room for another genuine key forward in the VFL side so I'd pencil this kid in at full forward.

Re the poor game, I'll be leading the charge!! :tearsofjoy:
Hey mate, how much does he weigh? Somewhere in the 80's or 90's?
Draper is more physically mature and has an extra year of development so he'd have to get more ruck time because it suits him and us.

There is definitely room for another genuine key forward in the VFL side so I'd pencil this kid in at full forward.
Athletic prospect like that? I'd love to see him further up the field instead of deep.

Looks as though Lavender played in the Imparja cup which is the national indigenous cricket carnival. Does that make him indigenous or do they take cricketers from around the traps to make up the numbers?

Looks like Kurt Aylett. I'm onboard

Hey mate, how much does he weigh? Somewhere in the 80's or 90's?

Athletic prospect like that? I'd love to see him further up the field instead of deep.

He got to 95kgs before undergoing a shoulder reco about 2 months ago. He has dropped back to 92kgs while being unable to do any training. Back into strength and conditioning training now, and his weight is increasing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks as though Lavender played in the Imparja cup which is the national indigenous cricket carnival. Does that make him indigenous or do they take cricketers from around the traps to make up the numbers?

Looks like Kurt Aylett. I'm onboard
They take up to 1/64th Aboriginal. (My former club cricket captain participated as 1/64th :p)
He got to 95kgs before undergoing a shoulder reco about 2 months ago. He has dropped back to 92kgs while being unable to do any training. Back into strength and conditioning training now, and his weight is increasing.
Sounds like he's around the weight range we'd like, hopefully he's pushing the 100kg mark by the end of his 3 year timeline

They take up to 1/64th Aboriginal. (My former club cricket captain participated as 1/64th :p)

Sounds like he's around the weight range we'd like, hopefully he's pushing the 100kg mark by the end of his 3 year timeline
While I understand your post being a technical selection one with no bad intent, just a heads up that to a lot of Aboriginal people, saying someone is a quarter or half Aboriginal etc can be offensive. To a lot if they identify as Aboriginal then they are Aboriginal, not percentages of.

While I understand your post being a technical selection one with no bad intent, just a heads up that to a lot of Aboriginal people, saying someone is a quarter or half Aboriginal etc can be offensive. To a lot if they identify as Aboriginal then they are Aboriginal, not percentages of.
Fair call. As you say, I meant no offence

I assume Eth meant it genealogically, as opposed to personal identification. Fair point though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back