Past Michael Jamison

Remove this Banner Ad

'Jamo' Answers Your Questions

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4311/newsid/94031/default.aspx

Chelsea Fletcher - 6:55 PM Monday, 10 May 2010
What food do you like to eat before a game and do you have a special routine prior to games?

MICHAEL JAMISON: Thanks for the question Chelsea, an easy one to start with. Luckily at the club we have a full time nutritionist, Johann, who guides us on what to eat pre and post games. Typically, before a game ill eat pasta or risotto to get the energy up. Most importantly, I will hydrate extensively for two days prior to the game, drinking at least 3-4 litres of water and powerade. I don’t have a solid routine before a game, I just try and stay as relaxed as possible.

Jess - 9:46 PM Monday, 10 May 2010
Hi Jamo,
You are my favourite player! I have heard that you are studying a commerce degree - is this correct? What are you career aspirations after footy?
Also, how is my other fave, Brad Fisher going with his recovery? Is there a specific round that he is aiming at getting back?
Best of luck for the rest of the season!
Jess

MICHAEL JAMISON: G’day Jess. Yes, I am currently studying. My course is commerce and sports management. I am still unsure of what I want to do after football but fully understand the importance of preparing for life after football and living a balanced life. Brad Fisher is my favourite player as well and a good friend. He is going really well in his recovery and leaving no stone unturned in his quest to get back as early as possible. The way he is working to return to football is a real credit to him. I am unsure of specifics, but we will see Brad playing within the month.

Scott - 10:55 PM Monday, 10 May 2010
Hi Michael,
First of all, congratulations on the win and a great game on big Kosi - thought you did a fantastic job.
My question is, what do you think it's gunna take for the boys to have the same sort of defensive pressure frame of mind they've used against Geelong and St Kilda for every round? Because as a team, you can evidently take on any side now - if you apply that pressure.
Good luck for the rest of the season.

MICHAEL JAMISON: I think you hit the nail on the head, Scott, in saying that it is a frame of mind. We have no excuses in not applying the same pressure as we did last night, as we have been able to do it so well against some of the best sides in the completion. I think the key is realizing that we have now set ourselves a benchmark performance in terms of pressure and we need to aim to at least meet those standards on a weekly basis and not accept anything of a lesser standard.

Josh Guthrie - 11:10 PM Monday, 10 May 2010
Jamo mate brilliant game. How good were we, I was just wondering why you guys, when we have all the momentum start chipping it around before the end of the quarter when you could easily get a scoring shot by going forward but instead turn it over?
But still great to break the hoodoo

MICHAEL JAMISON: Good question John, the idea behind us “chipping it around” is to maintain possession and limit the oppositions time with the ball. You must realize that it is impossible to go at the game for the entire match and in slowing the ball down we aim to restrict the oppositions scoring. Obviously, when we turn it over it isn’t ideal but we don’t need to score all the time as long as we can stop the other side scoring as well.

chris zacharias - 11:21 PM Monday, 10 May 2010
gday jam-dog! haha
great win tonight and really well played by your self, just wondering, when walker is right will he slot straight back in the team? and do you guys have a 'crunch' game every year that you do something different for? in terms of, i went down to a richmond coaching thing as part of my footy clubs yearly trip and they all sign a ball in a nominated crunch game and frame it and put it around the club, do you guys do anything like that?
cheers

MICHAEL JAMISON: Onya Chris- Dog, Walks is already running, Chris, and as someone who has spent a fair amount of time in rehab, he knows what it takes to return to the field as early as possible. It is hard to speculate on whether he will return to the senior side as it depends how he is travelling in terms of match fitness and on how we are travelling as a side. However, there is no doubting that he was in superb form before he was injured. We don’t treat any games differently, Chris, and try to have the same preparation for every game.

Evan - 11:25 PM Monday, 10 May 2010
Jamo carltons defence has steped up a level this year with injuries to bower and and walker the blues seem to still maintain a confident backline with yourself russel armfield and a young telent in white. What changes have the players made to make this such a potent backline?
Jammo all australian Thumbs up mate

MICHAEL JAMISON: Thanks for the question Evan. I don’t think we have made any real evident changes, Evan, I think it is more the fact that the defenders are playing more and more games together and getting used to the way each other play, and subsequently we have formed a solid unit. Jordan Russell has really found his niche down there and is playing career best football, whether it be shutting down a potent forward or providing us with real run and drive from defence. Dennis and Simon are also great to play with and are playing like players who have played a lot more games than they actually have.

Pauly - 11:44 PM Monday, 10 May 2010
Jammo firstly congrats on a great win tonight! Well done to you for becoming one of the best young defenders in the game at the moment. Jordan Russell has really stepped up and has become one of the most improved players in the league was there anything that he changed or worked on or do you just put it down to getting games into him and backing himself more.
Keep up the great work Jammo!
Go blues!

MICHAEL JAMISON: G’day Pauly, I believe it turned around for Jordan last year when he was playing in the Northern Bullants, and he just had a really good hard look at his game and where he was at, and once he got his spot back in the team he really worked on defending first then attacking from there. When he started to play some good consistent footy his confidence grew and grew, and he hasn’t looked back.

Tim Wilkes - 11:51 PM Monday, 10 May 2010
Dennis Armfield is one of our quiet achievers but I think his ability to break the lines with his pace is so valueable. How do you rate Dennis as one of your backline boys you are marshalling so well?

MICHAEL JAMISON: That is the first time someone has called Dennis quiet, Tim, as we usually can’t shut him up. He has always had the ability to break the lines but he has worked hard on his disposal and is kicking it quite well forward and getting real reward for his effort.

Mitch franco - 11:56 PM Monday, 10 May 2010
Good win tonight mate defence held up real well without bower :) .. 61 points cant get any better than that !! ... how do you think the boys will do against port ??? do you and other players go watch videos of your opponent or just go out there and do your thing ... or a bit of both ? anyways cheers :)

MICHAEL JAMISON: Hi Mitch, If we maintain the effort and pressure we displayed last night then we will give ourselves every chance in Adelaide this week. Yes, we will always watch vision of the opposition tape and individual players and work closely with our opposition coach, Brett Munro, in order to gain any knowledge we can about the opposition.

matt - 11:58 PM Monday, 10 May 2010
Good win jammo, towelled kosi. It looks like the backline is really working well together. One thing that i have noticed is that the team is really struggling with their kickouts. they tend to kick it to the guy standing in the pocket, and if that option isnt on, its long along the boundary. is the club trying to work on a way to get the ball out of there because we concede a fair bit from in?

MICHAEL JAMISON: Thanks Matt, These days the opposition zones are so tight and well drilled, its quite difficult to get the ball out. We work on our kickins a lot during training and try to improve on it week in week out, but different teams zone up differently therefore the spots we kick to each week differ. We are actually well ranked in the kick out department.

Toby Jedwab - 12:27 AM Tuesday, 11 May 2010
Hi Jamo
When will you kick your first goal?? It will literally make my year when it happens.

MICHAEL JAMISON: You and me both, Toby. I’ve often hounded forward coach, Matthew Lappin to give me a go up there but he seems to just laugh, so I don’t think that is a good sign. I think id prefer the ball to be in others hands up forward but we’ll see.

Ian Sinclair - 12:35 AM Tuesday, 11 May 2010
How is it that the boys (in three weeks) can thrash both of last year’s grand finalists, yet be beaten by the mortal enemy?

MICHAEL JAMISON: That is a question of consistency, Ian, and one I believe comes down to mental aptitude. When we apply ourselves as we did last night we can rival any team in the competition. However, doing this week in and week out is what separates the good teams from the great. Being young is not an excuse and consistency is something we strive for as we know that it is a measure of a competitive finals side.

ALL YOUR QUESTIONS
Click here to view all of the great questions that you sent in to Michael Jamison after the St Kilda game

NEXT WEEK
Another player and more questions and answers after the Port Adelaide game

really like this Q&A thing the club is doing, well done CFC

Link
Murphy said. "A player like Michael Jamison is getting his first pre-season in three or four years. He has put on 3-4kg to be up around the 100kg mark."
Link

TrainingPic_105.jpg

Smart footballer, I love it...focuses on a weaknesses and quickly goes about fixing it, hopefully the extra weight doesn't cause an injury on what is hopefully his first full pre season!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4311/newsid/105817/default.aspx

SOMETIMES a small yet symbolic act can have a profound effect on a group and that's exactly what Shaun Hampson says occurred on the Blues' arduous bike ride from Visy Park to Sorrento on Monday.

With the finish line of the 110km physically-exhausting, mentally-draining journey almost in sight, Hampson's seat pole snapped clean off.

The ruckman shrugged off his teammates, who urged him to finish the trek in the support vehicle, and prepared to ride the final seven kilometres standing up on the pedals.

Then the strangest thing happened.

"Michael Jamison said 'well if you're doing it, I'm doing it with you' then he took his seat off and we did the last seven k's out of the seat the whole way," Hampson explained.

"I really appreciated it because it would have been a lot harder on my own.

"It was considerably harder than sitting down the whole time. It was murder on the quads because you just can't rest. It really takes it out of you.

"Jammo's one of the best leaders we've got at the club for such a young guy. He commands a lot of respect from the boys with the way he goes about things. That was only a small example, but it certainly inspired me and the boys."

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4311/newsid/105817/default.aspx

I've never been a huge Jammo fan, but what I've seen lately has really impressed me. He would be our Hodge type "spiritual leader" and that's just what the club needs.

Last year I was shooting the Bullants match and saw Austin on the bench nearly in tears clutching his hammy, and I asked Jammo if he knew what had happened. As soon as he found out he literally ran across the ground to Aussie's side and made sure he was fine. A real class act.

That's a great article BTW.
:thumbsu:

From Talking Carlton

bondiblue said:
Agreed. He looked fantastic at training on the 6th of Jan.

I was really impressed with Jamison circa 2011....every box was ticked.
I know I was critical of Jamo last year, but from what I saw, in this his first full preseason, his fitness base is going to put him worlds ahead of anything we have seen in the past. Fingers crossed. Go Jamo.

Yep, I'm more than happy to pencil in Jamo as our FB in round 1. I hope he has a break out year.

Link

Carlton coach Brett Ratten said he "can't wait'' to slot key defender Michael Jamison back into his backline after suspension during the pre-season competition.

"Michael is such an important player for us. He has had a great pre-season and we wanted to get him back in the team as quickly as possible. So it never crossed our mind to challenge it,'' Ratten said.

"He's in our leadership group and what he does for our back six is really organise.

"This is first full pre-season in four or five years and he hasn't missed a beat. He has put on 4-5kg, so this is the next stage that he will elevate his position in the competition and we can't wait to get him back in.''

Link

I'm sure all my fellow Blues fans are stoked to see Jamison back in the team. We have been lucky to have faced virtually zero from opposing forward lines so far this year, with the exception of Jumpin' Jack, so Jamison's absence hasn't been exploited by our opposition. If we didn't have him for this week against the Pies, I think our backline would have struggled imensely and his absence would have been much more apparent.

We will need our key position defenders for this match, which means Jamison and Bower to go with (or replace) guys like Thornton and White, who have held down the fort so far this year. However, as much as I love Bower, I'm kind of secretly hoping he doesn't play this week, so that we can get another game (this time against a decent opponent) into young Watson. The sooner he gets through the learning curve and develops into an everyday CHB to compliment Jamison at FB, the sooner we can start to use Bower to his strengths, being as a third tall who can kill contests and provide some great run from the backline. The biggest problem we will have soon is who to leave out of the backline due to the depth we have, and in my opinion, that's a problem I'd love to have.

Back and blue

In the season's opening weeks, the layers that have emerged in Jamison's game have been startling. Lloyd has seen him playing in front of the big forwards, cutting off leads, dashing away upfield, kicking the ball more often and very well. The latter has been significant in the Blues' last line launching attacks of greater potency; Lloyd notes that the run and leg speed of the Blues' defence in recent years has been let down by poor disposal.

Brown agrees that the spike in virtually every key area of Jamison's graph - rebound 50s up, possessions won beyond defensive 50 up, disposals way up - married to a maintenance of his stock in trade of outbodying and spoiling big forwards, has resulted in him becoming effectively twice the player.

Back and blue

Blues Jamison to face Nick Riewoldt

CARLTON'S Michael Jamison faces a crucial test of his improvement as a player when he takes on Nick Riewoldt tomorrow night.

The 24-year-old North Ballarat product was ready for the big assignment on the St Kilda skipper after showing enormous improvement in his fifth season, according to Carlton assistant coach Alan Richardson.

"Jamison has been super impressive," Richardson said as the Blues prepared for their round-seven clash at Etihad Stadium.

"He's one of many who are starting to mature as players and having a bigger impact on the game.

Blues Jamison to face Nick Riewoldt

Test passed with flying colours 1v1.

Not meant to run all game with a CHF but thought he did really well.

[YOUTUBE]iX_7DvdVroc[/YOUTUBE]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back