Past Nick Smith - farewell, retired 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

MickyG

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-...-key-cog-as-underrated-backman-signs-new-deal

One of my favourite players.

Last Friday it was Parker, this Friday it is Smith. This club loves to make my Fridays start well.

Sydney+Swans+Media+Session+spvL1xKqI-bl.jpg

Good news. Will lead our backline after Ted goes (if he doesn't already). He would have left a massive hole if he left.

Seems like a lot of our key players are locked in now. Who are the important ones left out of contract?

Good news. Will lead our backline after Ted goes (if he doesn't already). He would have left a massive hole if he left.

Seems like a lot of our key players are locked in now. Who are the important ones left out of contract?

Buddy's getting near the end of his.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So is Jack the only other notable person out of contract this year or is there Grundy also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So is Jack the only other notable person out of contract this year or is there Grundy also?
The other best 22 names are:

Kurt Tippett
Kieren Jack
Tom Mitchell
Jeremy Laidler
Jake Lloyd (allegedly)
Harry Cunningham (borderline)

I'm very unconvinced Heeney is out of contract, we have often signed up draftees for 3 years. Grundy is signed until 2018.

The other best 22 names are:

Kurt Tippett
Kieren Jack
Tom Mitchell
Jeremy Laidler
Jake Lloyd (allegedly)
Harry Cunningham (borderline)

I'm very unconvinced Heeney is out of contract, we have often signed up draftees for 3 years. Grundy is signed until 2018.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him playing some NEAFL this year, all things being equal.

Thought laidler was one of our best defenders at times during the year , might not have much pace but puts his body in the line week in week out and has no worries going back with the flight
And can actually kick too (probably why he'll get dropped)

Laids will be fine so long as he keeps up his solid consistent efforts. The man is like a rock, just comes in and does what he's been asked to week in week out.

The major drawback would be his apparent lack of speed/pace which was only really highlighted after the Hawks focused on this and the little Hawkpoo got a few easy "running-into-the-an-open-goal-after-a-kick-over-the-top-of-&-behind-the-defence". It was bad matchup for him but would have happened to Grundy, Teddy, Reid & probably would have had some effect on Macca, Shaw, Rampe & Smith too given how we were set up (pushing well up the ground leaving the back 40m unmanned). So for this I don't necessarily blame him...

Laids will be fine so long as he keeps up his solid consistent efforts. The man is like a rock, just comes in and does what he's been asked to week in week out.

The major drawback would be his apparent lack of speed/pace which was only really highlighted after the Hawks focused on this and the little Hawkpoo got a few easy "running-into-the-an-open-goal-after-a-kick-over-the-top-of-&-behind-the-defence". It was bad matchup for him but would have happened to Grundy, Teddy, Reid & probably would have had some effect on Macca, Shaw, Rampe & Smith too given how we were set up (pushing well up the ground leaving the back 40m unmanned). So for this I don't necessarily blame him...

That Puopolo screw up was more our coaching box (and theirs) working like crap (and brilliantly) to manufacture that match up.

It was like elite tagger against Murphy for the Dogs all over again.

Another player mooted to be leaving over the last few years re-signs. So happy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back