Past Nick Smith - farewell, retired 2019

He'll settle once some experience is back.

You remind me of Homer in the simpsons when that pig starts rolling down the street

Maybe its just the time slots havent suited him this year :p

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
All the best to Smithy. It would be between he and Hughie McLaughlin for our atg back pocket.

I note Reg got his first Brownlow vote last year. Time for Smithy to cop one.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Fitting that he'll have Ballantyne to contend with this week too. One of the better forward pockets of the last decade against perhaps the best defensive small forward of the last decade - there are plenty of back pockets who have been more valuable as they rebound with great effectiveness, but there's no back pocket who has been as consistently strong defensively as Smith over the last 10-15 years imo.

One of my favourite Swans over the course of his career because of how consistently averse to mistakes and mentally-strong he has been. He doesn't look like the quickest guy out there and isn't but he's run down quicker men through sheer hard work countless times. And backed back into packs to help his teammates and gone unnoticed throughout games because he's had a job to do to blanket a star forward. He's the kind of player every coach would want to have on his side.

Fitting that he'll have Ballantyne to contend with this week too. One of the better forward pockets of the last decade against perhaps the best defensive small forward of the last decade - there are plenty of back pockets who have been more valuable as they rebound with great effectiveness, but there's no back pocket who has been as consistently strong defensively as Smith over the last 10-15 years imo.

One of my favourite Swans over the course of his career because of how consistently averse to mistakes and mentally-strong he has been. He doesn't look like the quickest guy out there and isn't but he's run down quicker men through sheer hard work countless times. And backed back into packs to help his teammates and gone unnoticed throughout games because he's had a job to do to blanket a star forward. He's the kind of player every coach would want to have on his side.

S120 delivers pure and unadulterated GOLD.

His best career game in my opinion was the Qualifying Final vs Fremantle in 2014. Kept 50 goal Hayden Ballantyne to 7 disposals and 5 clangers while getting 25 himself at 96% efficiency.

His best career game in my opinion was the Qualifying Final vs Fremantle in 2014. Kept 50 goal Hayden Ballantyne to 7 disposals and 5 clangers while getting 25 himself at 96% efficiency.

To be fair Ballantyne can be an absolute s**t player a lot of the time. Like genuinely bad. But that was a fantastic game from Smith given how everyone else struggled to contain Ballantyne at that time.

Has also stood up this year and been a real leader in defence while Grundy and Rampe have had serious lapses. He’s a little champ.

Smith about to speak to media ahead of game number 200 on Saturday night:
Smith: It’s a pretty good achievement I guess. When you stop and look back it’s a lot of footy!
Smith: There’s a lot of good people at this Club that taught me a lot about how to work hard.
Smith on playing so many games with Reg on the backline: It’s been a great journey to share with each other. We have a big bond with each other.
Smith: The Dockers have been impressive, we will have our work cut out for sure this week.
Smith on some of his toughest opponents over the years: Stevie J was pretty tough to play on and obviously Rioli... I shouldn’t have started naming names, there are some great players out there!
Smith: It’s a good time to briefly look back but I’ve got my eyes on getting out there and winning this week with the boys.

Enjoy your 200th :)

Random question but does Smith age? I swear he has looked the same for about a decade lol

209785.jpg

537233.jpg

Anyone else think its ominous that he is still uncontracted for next year this late into the season? Not as old as Grundy/McVeigh where you can expect a bit more time for renewals.

Wouldnt be surprised if he retires or 'retires'.

Anyone else think its ominous that he is still uncontracted for next year this late into the season? Not as old as Grundy/McVeigh where you can expect a bit more time for renewals.

Maybe he is a low priority as he won’t leave

Gets whatever bucks are left or he hasn’t decided himself yet

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

I read he’d triggered a renewal for next year. So, not uncontracted at all.

I read he’d triggered a renewal for next year. So, not uncontracted at all.
https://outline.com/sKstPu
APRIL 20, 2018
ROOKIE success story Nick Smith will play on at Sydney next year as fullback Heath Grundy waits until mid-year to consider his future.
The pair of rookie defenders have been mainstays of Sydney's era of success, with both premiership stars falling out of contract later this year.
Smith will tick off a clause in his contract to secure another year after signing his most recent deal in 2016, having played every game since Round 12, 2015.

He turns 30 in June, having played 195 games since being taken at pick 15 in the 2007 rookie draft.

Nick Smith will trigger a new deal to stay a Swan in 2019. Picture: Phil Hillyard

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
https://outline.com/sKstPu
APRIL 20, 2018
ROOKIE success story Nick Smith will play on at Sydney next year as fullback Heath Grundy waits until mid-year to consider his future.
The pair of rookie defenders have been mainstays of Sydney's era of success, with both premiership stars falling out of contract later this year.
Smith will tick off a clause in his contract to secure another year after signing his most recent deal in 2016, having played every game since Round 12, 2015.

He turns 30 in June, having played 195 games since being taken at pick 15 in the 2007 rookie draft.

Nick Smith will trigger a new deal to stay a Swan in 2019. Picture: Phil Hillyard
Huzzah! Thanks for that SP.

Believe me, I’d know if Smooch was still unsigned:p

Back