Past Nick Smith - farewell, retired 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Tesla Tenet

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
One of my favourite Swans as Smooch played way above his weight and I rate him much higher then others in the club.
Totally commitment in every contest, every game, every year.

Likely howled down but one of the last of the great 'bloods'. Played more like LRT, ROK, Jude B.

Good luck with life, I thought he was doing a Bachelor of Economics at UNSW so he should find a good niche for him.

A true great career from the rookie list.

Thanks Smooch

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

ScottBo

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
One of my best memories of him was the game he played in the midfield and we beat Hawthorn in Tasmania.

It's a shame they don't follow the lead of the Oscars and give out honorary Brownlow votes to the tragically overlooked and under-appreciated. He'd be top of the list.

Retired much the same way he played.... just went about his business with a minimum of fuss.....perhaps never been a more reliable player....not out of place alongside many of our greats.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

One of my best memories of him was the game he played in the midfield and we beat Hawthorn in Tasmania.

It's a shame they don't follow the lead of the Oscars and give out honorary Brownlow votes to the tragically overlooked and under-appreciated. He'd be top of the list.

That was a good win

Wasn’t he sub that day ? Then yeah went mid late

ScottBo

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
That was a good win

Wasn’t he sub that day ? Then yeah went mid late
He was the sub and came on in the third quarter and had 14 disposals at 85%. From memory he was on his way back from injury or illness. Hawks had a great record there and we were real outsiders. It was the game Goodes broke the club games record and kicked three goals. I felt it was the game that gave them the confidence to beat them later in the year in the GF.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Having listened to the press conference, he wasn't categorically confident that his body wouldn't hold up if he came back next year but the uncertainty was great enough for him to agree with the club that his time was over.

Great to see them talk about it honestly in front of the cameras. Smith comes across like someone for whom true honesty is important and he's leaving the club in an honourable way. Good for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Premiership player. All Australian. Bloods through and through.

Without doubt one of my favourite players ever.

Nick ‘the Blanket’ Smith, because who ever he was assigned to got well and truly covered and smothered. At his best was the best small defender in the league and criminally underrated.

All the best on the new chapters of your life Smooch!
:largeredcircle::mwcirlce:

He was the sub and came on in the third quarter and had 14 disposals at 85%. From memory he was on his way back from injury or illness. Hawks had a great record there and we were real outsiders. It was the game Goodes broke the club games record and kicked three goals. I felt it was the game that gave them the confidence to beat them later in the year in the GF.

Yeah I got to hold the banner up was a great win

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies

Never gave an inch.

Seriously I'll never forget that 2nd chase. I remember being at this game high up in the O'Reilly and for some reason as that play was going on I tracked Smith running and his pace and just audacity to keep at it despite seemingly being so far behind was out of this world. He starts a good 10-15m off the ball while Wells, Thomas and Nahas (three pretty quick guys at the time) flow forward. Incredible effort.

The #1 example of guts over talent. I thought he was a massive spud when he first started playing AFL, but turned into one of the most reliable players in the comp. You could probably count the number of times he was beaten on one hand. He will be missed.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Surely deserved one Brownlow vote
How can a player make AA and win a premiership and not garner a single Brownlow vote?

A shining example of everything that’s wrong with the voting process.

Back