Player Watch #40 Pat McKenna

Remove this Banner Ad

The exact same thing was said about Newton though.

True but McKennas draft year would have ment it was Jason Taylor who had been tracking him
Newtons a bit older, plus newton's kicking was fine.. I think he's a better kick than the majority of our players he just doesn't have the nous

True but McKennas draft year would have ment it was Jason Taylor who had been tracking him
Newtons a bit older, plus newton's kicking was fine.. I think he's a better kick than the majority of our players he just doesn't have the nous

New profile pic for you.

jason-taylor-628.JPG

Almost.

But nah, he was a great player in his day.

Massive tool as well. Used to come into the night club I worked at and expect to be treated like royalty. Huge pisshead... hard to believe, I know.

Pat was playing seniors for Gisborne in the VFL as a teenager and doing very well, he is more footballer than athlete.
Gisborne aren't in the VFL they're in the Bendigo league. Some really good footy played by the top sides there though. Think I read somewhere McKenna kicked 9 for Gisborne as an underage player one say. That's impressive

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is more a guy who concentrated on cricket until he was 18. I read he is similar to a Cat B rookie in term of where he's coming from. Apparently was set to play TAC the following year had he not been drafted.
Interestingly SOS said he was a bit of a project player when drafted and they only have him 2 years. Surprised SOS didn't try get him to Carlton.

He is more a guy who concentrated on cricket until he was 18. I read he is similar to a Cat B rookie in term of where he's coming from. Apparently was set to play TAC the following year had he not been drafted.
Interestingly SOS said he was a bit of a project player when drafted and they only have him 2 years. Surprised SOS didn't try get him to Carlton.
He did try. Problem is Pat just saw us as a better option.

True. Looks like a cool-headed defender with good disposal which is pretty invaluable.

Given we'll have Hibberd and Melksham injected into half back in 2017, allows McKenna to develop his game and more importantly, size, at Casey too.
Cool headed with good disposal in the NEAFL. I'd look decent with that kind of time and space.

Cool headed with good disposal in the NEAFL. I'd look decent with that kind of time and space.

Good disposal is good disposal. You saw the video, he can weight his kicks and deliver the ball to pinpoint targets. Sure, he'll need time. But no need to criticise skills he has clearly shown. He can only play the opposition that's in front of him.

Good disposal is good disposal. You saw the video, he can weight his kicks and deliver the ball to pinpoint targets. Sure, he'll need time. But no need to criticise skills he has clearly shown. He can only play the opposition that's in front of him.
I ain't criticising ;)

I'll be the judge of that! Post a highlight reel of you overcoming NEAFL pressure please.

Yeah, AFL is a different ball game but there is still enough there to see what kind of player he is. As I said hopefully he can develop well over the next few years in the 2's.

A year in, I have no idea of his strengths and attributes. Did he play many Casey games or injured?

To those in the know, is he a long term prospect for us?

A year in, I have no idea of his strengths and attributes. Did he play many Casey games or injured?

To those in the know, is he a long term prospect for us?
Was injured almost the entire season.

I think our current drafting/trading strategy will be taking punts on (fairly) high ceiling players who haven't developed optimally or been scouted heavily for multiple reasons, seeing as we've filled all of our list needs, and seeing if we can develop them into squad options. The depth of our list is really showing as we have a really strong group of 25-30 players who can all have a run in the team if required, and that means the other 10 spots on the list can purely be used for identifying diamonds in the rough. These low cost, high upside players will have the chance to develop without much external pressure but will be turned over if they don't show the required attributes. Examples of these recruits include Mckenna(cricket), Hunt(only played footy for Brighton grammar), Balic(rumours of attitude/mental issues regardless there's some baggage), Maynard, Smith(AFL converts)

If McKenna can't really show something this year I think he will be cut along with JKH, Balic and Wagner. Because all of our draft picks will ideally be in the 15-18 range for the next 6-7 years we need to find top up our list with some legitimate talent from the later rounds and the rookie draft. Most of our list subtractions over the next 6 will be failed stabs at identifying hidden talent, with the occasional retirement from Bernie, Lewis, Jones mixed in

I’d forgotten about this dude. Has he cut his hair? I didn’t notice him at training, but I wasn’t looking for him (having forgotten him and all).

Looks like AA material to me - with haircut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back