Autopsy 40 point win over Dockers - Round 19, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Good win but can’t help but feel that this it for Ronke. Had the same opportunity as Bell to turn those forward pressure acts to goals but didn’t feel it. No goals next to his game and could’ve taken the opportunity when we were on top. At least Bell was notable in some passages.
Ronke can be expected to be off the pace after such a long lay off. He didn't play a lot of game time but he chased, he got into good positions, he ran hard both ways, but the jump in speed of the seniors game left him always a step or two behind. Looking at Bell now, it's amazing what a bit of confidence can do for a young player. I'd be nice if we could afford to give Ronke another run but I suspect he might have had his shot, given the number of guys waiting to come back in. It's a shame, as the whole world knows Ronke can do good things when he's in the zone, but his 5 years are up this year and I suspect he hasn't shown us enough to secure an extension. For his sake I hope he can find a team that's looking for a small forward.

I've got plenty to moan about - heck, I live in the country that invented moaning (England) - but I too was thinking "Why are these porked out old hacks trying to get Bud done ? Why can't they just STFU ?". Sadly, (I moan) I have no choice but to listen to FFF (Fox F-ing Footy). King and Brereton were droning on and on, both judging Bud and setting his penalty. They even tried to drag Lynch into their campaign. "Hey Lynchy, would you have got at least 6 weeks for that back in <insert year/decade>".

When Brereton says something like "Buddy would have gotten xxx weeks out in my day". What he's really trying to say is "Hey, remember back when I was somebody, back in the 80's. I was somebody you know, somebody....Hey, did I tell you I was once somebody....hey, who cut my mike ?"

As for the attacks on Gulden for what ? Being short by AFl standards ? The guy is short, anyone can see he's short, and given how hard Gulden goes, head down hard at the ball, he's bound to cop head high contact. That's why we have rules to protect the head.

One hand you've got a bunch of porked out has beens like King and Dermie going on about protecting the head, then the next thing they're bitching about Gulden getting a free for high contact (ie, getting hit on the head).

Brereton "The head is sacrosanct, so sancrosanct, so very sancrosanct"
King "But not the head of a small guys, right ?"
Brereton " Oh no, the heads of small guys are NOT sacrosanct"
King "What about when you played back in err...in 1883 Derm, did small guys have heads back then"
Brereton "Did I tell you how I was a hero back then. We pulled the heads off small guys, peeled them and ate them at half time"
King "Did you want to add how you were once a hero Dermie ?"
Brereton "Was I ? Oh Yeah, I was somebody....somebody..." His mike is cut again.

Dermie nods off, a string of drool hanging from the corner of his mouth.

The woman who looks and sounds like a bloke fills the silence.

"For more about the 6 weeks we reckon Buddy deserves, we join Ralphy at the news desk"
"G'day Ralphy"
"No you're Ralphy. What did ya think of Buddy's big angry hit"
"Was he angry ?", "Soz, I mean, oh wow, was he ever angry ! "
"I think we already said he was, so that defo means he was angry"
"Was that where he hits the other guy with his elbow as the guy is hanging on to him despite the out of bounds whistle had been blown, where Buddy swings his arm blindly and hits him accidentally but deliberately in the guy's face, which is miraculously unharmed ?"
"Yeah that one, the one we've already judged him for and decided he should get 6 weeks"
"I must say, I haven't seen it yet, but 6 weeks seems fair"
"Take a guess at how long he'll get"
"Judging from the footage I haven't seen ?
"Sure"
"OK, judging from all the judging I've heard, hmmm, I don't like to prejudge but I''d have to say 6 weeks is exactly the right number"
"Spot on. And what do you think Horse was saying to him on the bench"
"Probably just talking about the game"
"Are you sure ?"
"Oh yeah, err...something about a 6 week penalty ?"
"Go on"
"Something like, you're gonna get 6 weeks as a minimum as you were playing angry and you wanted to hurt someone's head, (but just not a smaller player's head 'cause they don't count)"
"You said it, and what a coincidence that's exactly what we all thought too"
"Not that any tribunal appearance should be prejudged"
"No never, but it's defo 6 weeks out"
"6 weeks ? Sounds about right"
"Gotta go, Dermie's waking up. Poor baby, He likes tittie after a nap"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back