40 Prospects to Watch in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I think thats on the cards for sure but its more then likely Geelong win their first premiership in 17 years. Dandenong's list is very strong next year and have a good mix of established stars (Clark, Clavarino, Davies-Uniacke etc.) and some dark horses who I rate very highly despite them not being exposed at TAC cup level (Young, Freeman, Frawley, Hogan etc.). They have the list, they just need to execute.

Some sort of identifiable game plan might help.

I think thats on the cards for sure but its more then likely Geelong win their first premiership in 17 years. Dandenong's list is very strong next year and have a good mix of established stars (Clark, Clavarino, Davies-Uniacke etc.) and some dark horses who I rate very highly despite them not being exposed at TAC cup level (Young, Freeman, Frawley, Hogan etc.). They have the list, they just need to execute.

Young Frawley dod a knee in the last H&A game for his local club this year.

Never seen a kid so down trodden than the bad news of an ACL. Ripper kod from an even better family

I'm actually very excited about this crop. I found it quite interesting/perplexing in relation to the comments about the 2016 crop at draft time being talked of so highly when at the beginning of the year it was through for by most recruiters as being an average draft crop. Anyways, this crop has a spread of everything (not a lot of KPD talent though) and quite excited to not only be able to acquire two highly rated Lions Academy boys but also the possibility of acquiring some further midfield talent. I really do like the look of a couple of inside mids in Worpol and Davies-Uniacke, Hunter Clarke is another who you would think becomes an inside-mid and also the outside class of Lochie O'Brien and you can also add Darcy Fogarty into that mix. Question for the general public but how would you rate the list above and are there others that as midfielders should be added. I do like Matho and McCluggage and will need to continue to build around these two but a number one type of inside/hard at it dominant midfielder so if possible take that into account? Looking forward to hearing other people's thoughts and thanks in advance.

Young Frawley dod a knee in the last H&A game for his local club this year.

Never seen a kid so down trodden than the bad news of an ACL. Ripper kod from an even better family
That's real disappointing. Liked him in the u16s and I hope he comes back as a 19 year old.

I'm actually very excited about this crop. I found it quite interesting/perplexing in relation to the comments about the 2016 crop at draft time being talked of so highly when at the beginning of the year it was through for by most recruiters as being an average draft crop. Anyways, this crop has a spread of everything (not a lot of KPD talent though) and quite excited to not only be able to acquire two highly rated Lions Academy boys but also the possibility of acquiring some further midfield talent. I really do like the look of a couple of inside mids in Worpol and Davies-Uniacke, Hunter Clarke is another who you would think becomes an inside-mid and also the outside class of Lochie O'Brien and you can also add Darcy Fogarty into that mix. Question for the general public but how would you rate the list above and are there others that as midfielders should be added. I do like Matho and McCluggage and will need to continue to build around these two but a number one type of inside/hard at it dominant midfielder so if possible take that into account? Looking forward to hearing other people's thoughts and thanks in advance.
I actually rate this midfield crop better then last year's as there are better performed midfielders at the same age. KPD are lacking next year as well as rebounding defenders but the midfield, ruck and KPF depth is the best I have seen in a while. I think next year every club will have at least one star. Matho, Keays and.McCluggage is a good spine but could do with soem extra speed. LOB could be a player the Lions take next year's to add some extra pace in their future midfield.

I actually rate this midfield crop better then last year's as there are better performed midfielders at the same age. KPD are lacking next year as well as rebounding defenders but the midfield, ruck and KPF depth is the best I have seen in a while. I think next year every club will have at least one star. Matho, Keays and.McCluggage is a good spine but could do with soem extra speed. LOB could be a player the Lions take next year's to add some extra pace in their future midfield.
Agree with your comments in regard to the rating of the midfield crop. We do need someone of Lochie's run and carry just feel that we need that dominant inside mid just a bit more and as you said there are the beginnings of a good engine room and I don't think we're too far off from finishing it and just need those extra few pieces. Thanks for your thoughts.

With the Lions having 2 first rounders (most likely top 10 picks) + Ballenden we are well placed gain to grab two more elite midfielders. Fogarty + O'Brien would be my ideal selections at this point. As time goes on no doubt this will change plenty of times. Looks to be an absolute monster of a draft.

With the Lions having 2 first rounders (most likely top 10 picks) + Ballenden we are well placed gain to grab two more elite midfielders. Fogarty + O'Brien would be my ideal selections at this point. As time goes on no doubt this will change plenty of times. Looks to be an absolute monster of a draft.
Say Ballenden becomes a top five pick, and the Port pick becomes pick 8. Would you trade up to get another elite prospect (in addition to one of LOB/Fogarty and Ballenden), or would you keep it as is and use the Port pick to bid on Ballenden?

Charlie Spargo
Murray Bushrangers/GWS Academy/NSW-ACT
Inside Midfielder/Small Forward
Height: 175 cm Weight: 75 kg D.O.B: 25/11/99

The pint sized pocket rocket from the Murray Bushrangers makes up for what he lacks in height he makes up for in skill and poise. After one of the best u16 championships in recent memory, Spargo learnt some new tricks playing as a small forward with stints in the midfield this year. Charlie Spargo has done all he could this year to put himself in the best position for the 2017 draft. This year Spargo has played for both NSW-ACT and the newly formed Allies side despite being a bottom ager. At both level he impressed with his willingness to work and have an impact on games with his best game coming in a TAC cup grand final which he gathered . Charlie Spargo has superstar written all over him and will be a steal for the GWS academy come draft night 2017.

Lachlan Fogarty
Western Jets/Vic Metro
Balanced Midfielder
Height: 179 cm Weight: 73 kg D.O.B; 1/4/99

The former u16 Vic Metro MVP has been well hidden this year in school football. Lachlan Fogarty from the Western Jets is a nippy small midfielder who works hard both ways and finds the ball to great effect. A star at u16 level, Fogarty this year has played only a handful of games at rep level with his year spent mostly at St. Kevins college. But on the rare occasion he did get to play at rep level, he sure did impress. Fogarty in the midfield is a player who puts lots of pressure on the opposition and can also dart away from the opposition before they even know what hit them. Lachlan Fogarty is close to the most dominant midfielder in the draft and will most likely lead the Western midfield in 2017.

Jordan Houlahan
Sturt/South Australia
Medium Forward
Height: 185 cm Weight: 73 kg D.O.B: 19/1/99

This Sturt high-flyer is one of the best sharpshooters in the 2017 draft. Jordan Houlahan from Sturt has been a quiet achiever this year and one who could shoot up the rankings with a big year in 2017. This year we have seen Jordan develop into one of the most consistent forwards in the SANFL u18’s. This year Houlahan kicked 29 goals from his 15 games and even played in Brenton Phillips’ team for a game as a bottom ager. Jordan Houlahan as a forward provides an elite overhead mark and is uber athletic when playing up forward. Jordan Houlahan is a human highlight reel up forward and one who may move up the ground with a greater endurance base in 2017.

Hayden McLean
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro
Key Forward
Height: 196 cm Weight: 91 kg D.O.B: 20/1/99

A member of the Sandringham Dragons premiership team, McLean could end up being one of best talls in the 2017 draft. Hayden McLean from the Sandringham Dragons is a key forward who thrives on crashing packs and taking amazing contested marks.Hayden’s first year in the TAC cup system has been one of immense improvement after not even making Sandringham u16’s in 2015 to being a key player in the TAC cup grand final against the Murray Bushrangers. Hayden kicked 27 goals from 19 games this year and has shown a willingness to throw his 196 cm, 91 kg frame around when the opportunity presents. Hayden McLean is a scary prospect up forward as his strength allows him to not only take marks and kick goals, but often determine the result of games.

Harry Simington
Gold Coast Academy/Queensland
Medium Forward/Defender
Height: 188 cm Weight: 87 kg D.O.B: 28/3/99

Another prospect to watch from Queensland is this rangy utility from the Gold Coast. Harry Simington who plays local football for Labrador is a high flying medium utility with strong hands and great versatility. This year Simington has been quite well hidden as he has only played one game for his state but has performed extremely well for the Gold Coast NEAFL team. This form was so good in fact that he earnt a spot in the u17 All Stars game where he played against the best of the best. Simington has impressed scouts with his ability to play at both ends of the ground and has shown some strong hands in the air. Harry Simington is a special plauyer who at either end of the ground, can play a role for a team and play it well.

Brayden Crossley
Gold Coast Academy/Queensland
Ruckman/Key Forward
Height: 198 cm Weight: 100 kg D.O.B: 16/8/99

The Suns academy have found a real gem with this monster. Brayden Crossley, the son of Southport legend Troy, has bounced back after a frustrating 2015 season which he just missed AFL Academy selection despite being one of their best players during the carnival. This year Brayden has developed into one of the best ruckman for the 2017 draft and is being groomed by the Suns academy as a potential key forward. Brayden as a ruckman provides some real strength and physicality which is yet to be matched by any other tall in this years draft as well as providing some marking strength up forward. Brayden Crossley is a monster of a lad who has the physicality and strength to play AFL as soon as he is drafted.

Jack Clayton
Brisbane Academy/Queensland
Medium Defender
Height: 184 cm Weight: 74 kg D.O.B: 25/2/99

One of the true leaders of the 2017 draft crop. Jack Clayton, son of Scott, is a skillful half back with excellent foot skills and a character which has been praised by the likes of Kevin Sheahan. This year Jack has played in defense the whole year and has shown for both his state and against men in the NEAFL that he is well and truly ready for AFL as a half back with his kicking and game sense setting apart from others in the draft. A former state cricketer, Jack has also shown that he is a gentleman off the field and could end up captaining his state and potentially the AFL Academy. Jack Clayton is a class act on and off the field is a class act and a player who can on his day damage the opposition on the rebound.

Conner Ballenden
Brisbane Academy/Queensland
Key Forward
Height: 198 cm Weight: 95 kg D.O.B: 21/3/99

Another candidate for the top pick, Ballenden is sure to have lions fans salivating. After an amazing u16 championships where he won the state's MVP award and kicked six goals in three games, Ballenden went to a whole new level this year. Ballenden this year has had a great year ad an underage key forward as he played at state level as well as playing for the Allies this year. Ballenden is your true power forward and has shown an ability to take games by the throat at times. Ballenden is one of the best one on one tall forwards in next year's draft as he can beat his opponent, kick a bag and has the potential to become a 50+ goal player for the lions in the future.

Dominic Grant
NT Thunder/Northern Territory
Inside Midfielder
Height: 189 cm Weight: 77 kg D.O.B: 29/1/99

One of the contested beasts of the 2017 draft is this tall midfielder from the top end. Dominic Grant from the Northern Territory is a contested beast who thrives on the tough stuff as well as providing some class up forward. Dom has had an up and down year this year as a midfielder with patches of extremely strong form and some really poor games. Although clubs won't forget about his bad games, his best games this year has been extremely strong as he has developed into one of the the best clearance midfielders for the 2017 draft. In the guts he provides a real strong presence as his big frame allows him to win clearances and some agility to weave out of traffic when required. His kicking at the moment is quite scratchy but has shown enough to give me the confidence that clubs will take a punt on this raw indigenous midfielder. Dominic Grant is a player who can step up when the game gets tough and could eventually be a player a team could rely on to win his own football consistently.

Fantastic effort again GD ... very informative. Looking into your crystal football ... any gut feel who might go No. 1 or at least top 3 pick ?

Appreciate any one else to have go too as I am pretty sure the Bluebaggers will be around that mark come end of 2017.

Last edited:
Say Ballenden becomes a top five pick, and the Port pick becomes pick 8. Would you trade up to get another elite prospect (in addition to one of LOB/Fogarty and Ballenden), or would you keep it as is and use the Port pick to bid on Ballenden?
Word on the street is that we don't have to use future draft picks for academy selections if we don't want to. There is some confusion on the matter but posters on the Lions board have been informed from a few sources that this is indeed the case. Our list management team sought clarification from the AFL IIRC as well before the trade.

Fantastic effort again GD ... very informative. Looking into your crystal football ... any gut feel who might go No. 1 or at least top 3 pick ?

Appreciate any one else to have go too as I am pretty sure the Bluebaggers will be around that mark come end of 2017.
I think it might be a battle between Darcy Fogarty and Jarrod Brander for the number one pick. Lochie O'Brien will be around the mark as well as Jaidyn Stephenson for the top 3 picks. At the moment i would say that it goes Brander, Fogarty and the LOB for my top 3. In saying that there are at least ten other players who could definitely fit in that bracket at this stage. So much talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it might be a battle between Darcy Fogarty and Jarrod Brander for the number one pick. Lochie O'Brien will be around the mark as well as Jaidyn Stephenson for the top 3 picks. At the moment i would say that it goes Brander, Fogarty and the LOB for my top 3. In saying that there are at least ten other players who could definitely fit in that bracket at this stage. So much talent.

Cheers for that !!!

Have you had any thought towards some sort of power ranking yet, pehaps the top 10 or 20?

That would be correct but I think he goes second round so the blues probably wont even get a chance to take him.
Thats interesting as i thought the same bidding process applies to the new generation academies, as the other academies and father/son?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back