Cancelled
SFA Good Friday Appeal Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 17, 2015
Wimmera
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boro
Hard gig to get picked up from NEAFL if players such as VFL stars Gibbons et can't get a look in. The VFL way ahead of NEAFL at this stage
He will be an academy kid who could be bid on. He's tracking well at this stage.

grundog49

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Jack Powell is as good as they come in the midfield. His NEAFL form is alright but its his Div 2 champs and TAC cup form which have me excited. Not afraid to win his own football, kick goals and has some very clean hands in the midfield.

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Jack Powell is as good as they come in the midfield. His NEAFL form is alright but its his Div 2 champs and TAC cup form which have me excited. Not afraid to win his own football, kick goals and has some very clean hands in the midfield.
Ripping young kid too. Really benefitted from Sando at the academy. Looking forward to his year ahead.

Charlie_5

Draftee
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Hello Bigfooty, I'm back with the my prospects list for next year. This year I have added an extra ten profiles after the popularity I found with my prospects list last year. My view of this years draft is that it is very tall heavy but does have some strong midfielders who I think could push into the first round. Where i think this draft is weak in is in the position of the general defender. The profiles are in no order and are just IMO some of the best in there respective positions, have high potential and have performed enough to give me confidence they can make it at the top level.

Cam Rayner
Western Jets/Vic Metro
Medium Forward/Inside Midfielder
Height: 185 Weight: 84 kg D.O.B: 21/10/99

One of the most exciting players in the 2017 afl draft is this lad. Cam Rayner from the Western Jets is an explosive midfielder who has played forward most of the year despite his obvious midfield talents. An All Australian in the u15’s, Cam this year has shown of his forward exploits as a hard leading medium forward as well as kicking bags of goals from the half forward line for the Western Jets. This included a purple patch where he kicked bags of seven and five consecutively which really made a statement to recruiters as well as secured a spot in the Academy Level 2 squad. Cam Rayner next year is expected to transition into the midfield and become an explosive midfielder who kicks goals. Cam is a real force in the midfield as he can take the ball, burst from stoppages and kick goals for his game, a real game changer.

Joel Garner
Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro
Medium Utility
Height: 184 cm Weight: 78 kg D.O.B: 21/5/99

One of the classiest players in next years draft is this indigenous midfielder. Joel Garner from the Eastern Ranges is one of those players who makes things look easy when they have the ball. Whether it is a side step or a kick lace out on his non preferred, Joel does it with ease. This year Joel has had some really good games and some average games as a utility for the ranges. But it's his good games which have recruiters excited. Garner is a true utility who can play multiple roles for a team as a player but looks likely to settle as an outside midfielder who can go forward at times for his team. Garner is just a player who can on his day be that match winner as he creates goal scoring opportunities at will and could be a match winner for a team down the track.

Patrick Naish
Northern Knights/Vic Metro
Outside Midfielder
Height: 180 cm Weight: 67 kg D.O.B: 15/1/99

The son of a former Port Adelaide and Richmond player, Patrick is one Tiger fans will be watching closely in 2017. The son of Chris Naish, Patrick Naish is starting to write his own tale as he strives to make it at the big time. A student at Ivanhoe Grammar, Naish is an outside midfielder who although isn’t quick by foot, is quick by mind. Naish is one of the smartest players in next year's draft as he has an innate ability to find the ball on the outside. This is equally matched with his foot skills which are quite strong seeming as he often kicks running at full speed. Naish has been tried at half back during the year but looks most comfortable when he has the freedom to create from the wing. The Richmond father son prospect is one who looks likely to be a key player for them in the future as he adds some class and football smarts to their young list in 2017.

Ethan Penrith
Northern Knights/Vic Metro
Small Utility
Height: 179 cm Weight: 74 kg D.O.B: 24/10/99

One who has come from a fair way behind to being a strong prospect for 2017 is Ethan Penrith. After being snubbed from u16 Vic Metro selection in 2015, Ethan has taken it upon himself to make them regret their decision and has done so in a big fashion. This year Ethan has excelled as a rebounding small defender with a elite agility and the ability to run with the ball unlike many in the draft. This ability to cut games open allowed him not only get selected to play in the Vic Metro futures squad but a chance to perform on grand final day in the u17 All Stars game. In both games he showed off his trade mark run as well as some evasiveness which was jaw dropping to say the least. Penrith is one who i would love to see play on a wing or up forward as his evasiveness and run allowing him to potentially become a solid wingman or small forward at AFL level. Penrith is a player who can impact games with little possession and one whose x-factor is sure to attract recruiters.

Jack Higgins
Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro
Inside Midfielder/Small Forward
Height: 176 cm Weight: 73 kg D.O.B: 19/3/99

The ball magnet of the draft, Jack Higgins has been a dominant force for a while now. After a super u16 championships which he was named the best player for the carnival, Higgins has replicated that form at u18 level as a bottom ager. This year for both Oakleigh and Metro, Higgins has showed everyone that he not only has the ball on a string but on a bungee cord the way it gets back to him. Higgins even on the biggest stage in the u17 All Stars match also performed with a 24 disposals effort as well as five scoring shots. Higgins can also play plausibly as a small forward as his overhead marking and goal kicking ability allow him to be even more damaging as a prospect. The main concern I have with Higgins is his footskills and his height which although alright is going to below the safe 180 mark for a player like Higgins. Higgins is a ball winner, goal kicker and a consistent performer for his team.

Sam Hayes
Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro
Ruckman/Key Forward
Height: 200 cm Weight: 90 kg D.O.B: 9/6/99

Another top prospect for the 2018 AFL draft is this ruck forward from the Eastern Ranges. A former u16 Vic Metro player, Sam Hayes with a growth spurt became one of the best TAC cup ruckman and impressed as a bottom ager for Vic Metro as a key forward. Sam at both TAC cup and national championships level was great tap ruckman but also showed some ability to play forward at times like he did in the last two games for Vic Metro. Sam as a ruckman provides a force in the air and can make an impact on games similar to that of Kurt Tippett as a player. There are questions surrounding his ability to cover the ground and his foot skills need work but has the raw tools to be a very solid ruckman at AFL level.

Noah Balta
Calder Cannons/Vic Metro
Key Position Utility
Height: 193 cm Weight: 88 kg D.O.B: 23/10/99

One of the lesser known talls in next years draft, Noah Balta is not one to be underestimated. After spending most of his junior career as a midfielder, a five centimeter growth spurt has seen him become a key position player at 193 cm. This year Noah Balta has shown that he is athletic and has plenty of skills which have allowed him to become one of the best bottom age swingman this year. This was on full display in a state academy futures game for which he was the best on ground player playing the first half as a intercepting defender then got swung forward in the second half. One to watch for the Calder Cannons as he is their best prospect for 2018.

Jaidyn Stephenson
Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro
Medium Forward/Balanced Midfielder
Height: 188 cm Weight: 76 kg D.O.B: 15/1/99

Another member of the Ranges 2015 premiership side, Stephenson is one of the best players in the draft crop. After kicking 10 goals in 5 TAC cup games in 2015 as a 15 year old, Jaidyn shown once again why he’s so highly rated. This year from both Vic Metro and Eastern, Stephenson has showed that he is close to the best forward in next years draft. For the Eastern Ranges alone he has kicked 23 goals in 11 games and also showed on occasion he can move up the ground. Jaidyn may look to move up the ground as he did in the u16s but will probably remain up forward where he looks extremely dangerous. Jaidyn has a turn of pace, is great overhead and has shown a capacity to kicks bags of goals.

Tom De Koning
Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country
Key Forward/Ruck
Height: 198 cm Weight: 79 kg D.O.B: 16/7/99

Although not a player well known at this point, De Koning is definitely one to watch for the Stingrays. After a massive 5 cm growth spurt in a year, Tom has gone from a undersized key forward to a fully fledged ruck forward this year. For Dandenong this year, De Koning has had an up and down year as a player but has done enough to go from an omission in the u16 Vic Country team to an AIS player on the back of a massive game and enough potential to excite clubs. This game i speak of is one where he kicked nine goals against the Northern Knights, a game which gave clubs a glimpse of a player who could wreak havoc on teams in the future. De Koning is also very slight at the moment as he is only 79 kg and often flashes in and out of games this year. With De Koning, recruiters will be thinking of the player they may get in the three years and not the player you will get in 2018.

Oscar Clavarino
Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country
Key Defender
Height: 194 cm Weight: 80 kg D.O.B: 22/5/99

The marquee key defender for the draft, Clavarino is a rock in defense. A player who has been on the radar of recruiters for a while, Clavarino has stepped up to the speed of TAC cup football and held down a key post all year. This year for Dandenong and Vic Country, Clavarino has showed that he can both stop and also provide a rebounding target on the way out. Oscar loves to intercept the football at every opportunity but definitely knows when it's best to fist the ball out of play. Oscar is just the all round key defender with a great mix of stopping, rebounding and intercepting which makes him one of the most influential players on the ground no matter the situation.
Missing AFL academy player Dow

Charlie_5

Draftee
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I know of Dow but I feel he hasn't shown me enough in the midfield to force himself into my prospects list. Wins his own football but hasn't shown an ability to to much else.

Averaged over 20 possessions in TAC last year. 2 Geelong Grammar best and fairest's.

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hurt factor isn't there with his possessions. Needs to average 30 imo
Averaged over 20 possessions in TAC last year. 2 Geelong Grammar best and fairest's.

Yep he had 22.0 a week last season. Feel he is a 30-50 player at this stage depending on his season. Can't see Dow in the top 10 as O'Brien, Worpel, Stephenson, Higgins etc are a long way in front. If Dow plays at Falcons he has a much better chance of going higher.

Aussie18

Debutant
Feb 29, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Jack Powell really impressed in the neafl grand final. 1st-2nd rounder
Yep Powell played 7 neafl games already between Giants and Demons probably more senior footy than TAC players will be interesting to see how he backs up this year. His disposal forward of centre in the championships for Rams was very impressive hit up many forwards. Hard to see Giants match a bid on him if they take Brander and Spargo early after losing 1k in points due LW saga.

Last edited:

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
Yep Powell played 7 neafl games already between Giants and Demons probably more senior footy than TAC players will be interesting to see how he backs up this year. His disposal forward of centre in the championships for Rams was very impressive hit up many forwards. Hard to see Giants match a bid on him if they take Brander and Spargo early after losing 1k in points due LW saga.
Likely to lose brander anyway due to an address dispute

Charlie_5

Draftee
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I
Well its not as bad as your portraying as the Pios had 4 drafted from their team. Sadly the Pios will be gutted as Paddy Dow has moved to Geelong and Brander and LOB look to go there as well. Bendigo will still be strong as they have Darby Henderson, Kane Farrell and Angus Schumacher in the midfield as well as Tom Campbell manning the key position posts for the pioneers. Will be competitive.

Incorrect

borderbarry

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2006
Wodonga
AFL Club
St Kilda
Grundog, your list was compiled last December. If you were to do it now would you have Dow, Balta Krueger, Paris as low as they are on you list?

And when are you going to update your list?

Thanks for your efforts to date.

grundog49

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Grundog, your list was compiled last December. If you were to do it now would you have Dow, Balta Krueger, Paris as low as they are on you list?

And when are you going to update your list?

Thanks for your efforts to date.
Dow I think could be a real suprise player for Vic Country. It's rare you find player who are so proefficient at the clearances as well as skillful. Mid first round for me but isn't what I would call a top 10 talent. Balta has had an up and down year so far but I still rate him as one of the strongest talls in the draft. Could bolt up my rankings after champs. Krueger I'm hearing is not the best player off the field and hasn't performed as well as I think he should've at this stage. If he has an outstanding champs I'll re-evalute him. And I didn't talk about a player named Paris.
Top 10 for mine is Dow
He has improved a fair bit since last year but I don't think he's at the level where I would use a top 10 pick on him. If he could add some goalkicking ability, show some explosiveness out of stoppages or get his disposal to an elite level I would consider him a top 10 pick for sure.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Dow I think could be a real suprise player for Vic Country. It's rare you find player who are so proefficient at the clearances as well as skillful. Mid first round for me but isn't what I would call a top 10 talent. Balta has had an up and down year so far but I still rate him as one of the strongest talls in the draft. Could bolt up my rankings after champs. Krueger I'm hearing is not the best player off the field and hasn't performed as well as I think he should've at this stage. If he has an outstanding champs I'll re-evalute him. And I didn't talk about a player named Paris.

He has improved a fair bit since last year but I don't think he's at the level where I would use a top 10 pick on him. If he could add some goalkicking ability, show some explosiveness out of stoppages or get his disposal to an elite level I would consider him a top 10 pick for sure.
Has kicked 9 goals from his 3 school footy games so far ;)

Back