B Rookie 40. Ted Clohesy (2022 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

Theres probably question marks on his speed (although for an inside mid that doesnt worry me some of the best inside mids arent quick) and he could tidy up by foot a bit but he has a lot of attributes i love. Strong in the contest, rarely goes to ground, good vision to release by hand, defensive intent is great and his tackles stick. Seems like the sort of kid who will work his backside off to try and make it. Im surprised he didnt go in the ND too given the lack of depth in this draft.
With tackle numbers like that you cannot be slow, you have to have at least average standard footy pace to be able to catch players as often as he does… so I don’t buy the slow tag when you average 7 tackles a game as a midfielder. He is an absolute steal and I have an incredibly good feeling about him turning into a player and even a sneaky debut chance 2023 or even a regular in 24.

Geelong has preselected Ted Clohesy as a NGA selection.

Ted was not selected by another club in the NAB AFL draft and thus is cleared to be a Geelong Rookie NGA selection for 2022.

He will be added to the Cat B Rookie list as I understand it - happy to be corrected.

GO Catters
Is his last name like Closey or 2 syllables clo - heesy ?

Last edited:

still don't get how he didn't get drafted in national..... did he tell all other teams he doesn't want to play for them?? i get why Oscar made it through and i feel there was an element of goodwill from us to draft him, but Clohesy's output stacks up with top 30 draft selections in the national.

actually will call in a draft guru to answer that... PMBangers can you elaborate why clohesy was not considered much higher in the ranking boards for clubs? he averaged 24 touches a game 7 tackles and performed well also at the carnival i believe averaging 19 touches a game.. what was the knock that had clubs not wanting to draft him in the national??? his output is up there surely with other top 30 national draftees?

actually will call in a draft guru to answer that... PMBangers can you elaborate why clohesy was not considered much higher in the ranking boards for clubs? he averaged 24 touches a game 7 tackles and performed well also at the carnival i believe averaging 19 touches a game.. what was the knock that had clubs not wanting to draft him in the national??? his output is up there surely with other top 30 national draftees?
Doesn't use it well, isn't overly athletic and already well developed physically

Doesn't use it well, isn't overly athletic and already well developed physically

Yeah that's probably fair. Would I be right in saying that's the same reason guys like D'Aloia or Szybowski - who were rated as Top 10 and Top 30 draftees respectively at different stages last year and this year - didn't even get drafted in the rookie draft?

Yeah that's probably fair. Would I be right in saying that's the same reason guys like D'Aloia or Szybowski - who were rated as Top 10 and Top 30 draftees respectively at different stages last year and this year - didn't even get drafted in the rookie draft?
A little bit, D'Aloia also just didn't have much of an outside game/ spread from stoppages either and Szybkowski may have been additional stuff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A little bit, D'Aloia also just didn't have much of an outside game/ spread from stoppages either and Szybkowski may have been additional stuff

It does appear more and more that we're seeing the death of the 'slow inside mid' as each year goes by - and the game turns more to endurance and speed. Definite trends emerging.

He's an ok user of the ball so I disagree.

I'm not sure you've seen many Falcons games.

Ted IMO is doing really well so far and should definitely get an offer to extend his time. Kicked multiple goals in games, tackles hard and reads the play very well

Go Catters

How is Ted developing? Is he a chance for a game this year? We need some more mids to come through!

I think he’ll make it but not yet..
needs another preseason to get stronger.. but I like what he brings and he can kick goals.

Go Catters

What are his strengths and weaknesses???
Good footy brain.

Gets to the right spots. Hard at it in close and will out his head over it anytime.
Works defensively as well.

Good goal sense and has kicked multiples on occassion.

Needs a few preseasons to get bigger and build fitness but for a NGA pick... im really happy to have him slow cook and take another 3 years to get those elements in play.

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back