Past #40: Thomas Murphy - delisted after 8 NM games/1 NM goal - thanks Murph

He's more important being a possible second kick than the first.

The second kick from the kick in has more ability to create plays. No point wasting your best kick being an almost guaranteed mark in the pocket.

It's why JMac does the kick ins most of the time. He's a decent kick in, but not the best kick in our defense.
I have seen him kicking in for the VFL side, and he quite regularly puts it outside the 50, if he was kicking in for us, why worry about a chip to the pocket, give him a viable target up the field and back him in to put it to advantage.

I have seen him kicking in for the VFL side, and he quite regularly puts it outside the 50, if he was kicking in for us, why worry about a chip to the pocket, give him a viable target up the field and back him in to put it to advantage.
Yep, I reckon the only time he has fluffed it was when he played on and then went to the pocket with a handball ...... someone fumbled and a turnover goal at the Borough. They don't call him "long kickin' tommy" for nothing

Would blow up this year doing it, but he looks quick enough to me.
Have watched him most weeks, still not sure he is quick enough. Defo would blow up this year, I agree.

Loved his rebound effort in the fourth, taking a few bounces after a few earlier efforts. You could tell he was absolutely rooted when he was rebounding, but he knew he had to persist and give us some vital rebound.

Actually tests really well for speed, was listed as one of his strengths pre-draft. Don't think he has the tank to showcase that at AFL level yet though.
Yeah maybe, when I think wingers though I think of the Keith Grieg and Matera and maybe a Mainwaring, Josh Kelly even, Phil Kelly for that matter. Can we compare him to John Law yet? Am entirely on board with this bloke, I just don't see him as a winger

For those at the game, what is Murphy's game craft like at this stage? It is not always easy to see how a player sets up and reads the play on TV alone.
It's a good question. I do not get to the AFL, but instead to the VFL. Watching those boys, the direction given from McKay, Durdin and Morgan is fantastic, and leaves little doubt as to where one should be. It would be reasonable to imagine that Tarrant, Thompson, MacMillan and Wright would be entirely comfortable in suggesting who go where.

Signs are there.
Plays out the rest of the year if we want to tank and I can see us tiring so I’m all for it.
If we are serious about September then he loses his place to someone with more endurance.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He put in a gut run when everyone else gave up in the dying minutes of the game to drive the ball forward to set up another shot.

I like this guy.

Other than that he was handed crap delivery from his teammates all day, that is when they gave it to him at all. Team has no confidence in his skills yet, but they should. He was rare with any errors.

Back