Player Watch #40: Will 'Mingma' Snelling - Named as an emergency - 4/7

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hurlygurdy

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Totally different scenario to a young player IMO. Mingma has come from the AFL system already (Port Adelaide) and had senior exposure. He was specifically brought in to replace Smith, exactly what the mid season draft was for. Recruiters/selectors must believe he is ready on SANFL form, they would have done their research.

Expect he will get a call up soon. Long term, maybe worth a spot on list if Smith's issues are not resolved.

Yep, I am with you, drink the beer!
Okay i'm well out of the loop with what the mid year draft is all about, but i can't imagine they are dead set looking to replace Smith like for like. Smith is a great player but he is hardly the type of player that we desperately needed (small mid). We do actually have a great balance in the team right now if everyone performs as we know (technically) they can.

The Donners

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Not that it’s overly important, it’s simply a fact, Essendon have 3 of the top 10 players of the 2015 3km time trial at the AFL combine - Jok, Redman and Snelling.

Zach Package

Kyle Langfourd
Sep 21, 2012
Parish, Francis
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Piggy Smith, SFG, Heat, Raiders
So his baseline is 20+ touches, 7-8 tackles and a goal.

Probably won’t get a gig this year given we’re now starting to get a little bit healthier but is 12 weeks of strong VFL form enough to get him another contract?

eth-dog

Premium Gold
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
So his baseline is 20+ touches, 7-8 tackles and a goal.

Probably won’t get a gig this year given we’re now starting to get a little bit healthier but is 12 weeks of strong VFL form enough to get him another contract?
I'd argue yes. Also I would say that he may get a few games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

srobbo

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Jan 31, 2012
patterson lakes
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Prob not this week on a 5 day turnaround, but if we turn in the same crap as last week he’ll be a walk up start next week.

Howard Moon

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
noticed a few times he tried to do too much and got caught with it at VFL level.. amp up the pressure x20 for an afl game, doesn't bode well ?

Phat Toni

Club Legend
May 5, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Spurs & Storm
Turn around is to short but would love to see him come in replacement of AMT.

Duckworth

Peptide Awareness
Oct 8, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
This isn't directed solely at you.

How is a bottom 8 side tight for spots on its list?
(I will answer anyway) for a start, I see our underperformance as not being a list management problem entirely (I point at least a couple of fingers at some coaching of team structures). Bottom 8 is only 1-2 games away from top 8 - so the list of players needs to be managed carefully. As it stands, we have too many uncontracted players who are best 22, young, and with scope to improve.

eth-dog

Premium Gold
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
This isn't directed solely at you.

How is a bottom 8 side tight for spots on its list?
I honestly don't think we are. Right now I can think of 7 players on the list that I doubt will be next year and another 2-3 that would be borderline.

fairbump_playon

All Australian
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
He and Guelfi should lead the team out, bring back the Top Gun theme.
What a perfect vision. Especially because Tom Cruise is exactly Mingma’s height. But maybe we need to save it for our next hit out against the cats ...or as our banner should call it “a ride into the danger zone”.

Top Bottom