Zach Package

Kyle Langfourd
Sep 21, 2012
Parish, Francis
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Piggy Smith, SFG, Heat, Raiders
Yeah I think he’s a good find. It’s not about him as an individual.

To me the height/size stuff is about the balance of the team - I believe our small midfield (plus Kyle) negatively impacts our marking power in general play (ie those contests between the arcs that aren’t the classic long down the line situation) and ability to physically match and (god forbid) even intimidate other teams.
Which is a completely fair point. The mix is clearly not quite right in a couple of ways.

I think he’s been a really shrewd pick up, I don’t see anything stopping him from becoming a Sam Gray/Josh Thomas type 20 touch and goal a game type half forward beyond a consistent crack at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yoda_

Brownlow Medallist
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Richmond play 6, 7, even 8 of them at times, it doesn’t worry them because it’s not relevant to that role.

He’s not a walk up start and I suspect he’s always going to operate around the fringes but the fact that everyone’s focusing on his height and not the fact that he’s shown an ability to run through the middle while impacting as a forward shows that our priorities are completely out of whack.
We don't have a game plan that allows him to operate to his strengths. Our one trick ability doesn't allow for very much to be honest. As fairbump_playon said, I didn't mean to make it about Will, it was not meant to be about him as a player, he could be ok. I dont see where he fits into our system. Does he displace Fantasia? Walla? Perhaps we shift away from so many marking forwards and slot him into that mix. Right now, he doesn't.

Fwiw, I like what he brings to the table. Just not sure where he fits into the overall scheme of things

ant555

The Oracle
May 4, 2004
lurking in the shadows of the matrix
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Penrith Panthers
We don't have a game plan that allows him to operate to his strengths. Our one trick ability doesn't allow for very much to be honest. As fairbump_playon said, I didn't mean to make it about Will, it was not meant to be about him as a player, he could be ok. I dont see where he fits into our system. Does he displace Fantasia? Walla? Perhaps we shift away from so many marking forwards and slot him into that mix. Right now, he doesn't.

Fwiw, I like what he brings to the table. Just not sure where he fits into the overall scheme of things
He can play midfield and was very good at it in the VFL. His fit in the side is better midfield depth and someone who plays like Devon Smith. He is not just a small forward.In his last 4 SANFL games he averaged 36 disposals 13 tackles and 8 clearances. He is not the really big bodied midfielder we still need but he is a natural midfielder who can play forward. He was averaging around 27 per game in the VFL before he came into the AFL side.

As for our one trick ability i suggest you should start watching the games closer. It is not that we have one trick. The problem is we keep ******* up plan A , plan B and plan C with piss poor kicking into an average forward line. People do not take into account how much kicking to the opposition kills the game plan. Have a look at all the poor sides. The are poor because they can not keep possession of the footy.
How many times have you been watching us play and yelled when we have been streaming forward only to miss the forward and kick it to the opposition ?

Top Bottom