Delisted #11: Will "Meatball" Snelling - Delisted 25/10

Remove this Banner Ad

As long as he's not keeping Guelfi out of the side it's ok amirite
Which is weird considering they play completely different positions

He's had better nights but still he hit the scoreboard. Did i hear the commentators say he's 11 goals straight at AFL level?

I agree
he is a mediocre undersized afl footballer
nothing more nothing less
tell me his special afl trait
ps the answer is there isn’t one
His positives are his work rate and hardness. Unfortunately the bloke who's 174cm going hard at it doesn't have the same impact as a 190cm bloke going hard at it. I'd like to keep him on the list but realistically we're far too small with Snelling, Parish, Walla, Irving, Fantasia, Merrett, McGrath, Parish etc all around the ball.

He's had better nights but still he hit the scoreboard. Did i hear the commentators say he's 11 goals straight at AFL level?
12 straight now, but yes.
His positives are his work rate and hardness. Unfortunately the bloke who's 174cm going hard at it doesn't have the same impact as a 190cm bloke going hard at it. I'd like to keep him on the list but realistically we're far too small with Snelling, Parish, Walla, Irving, Fantasia, Merrett, McGrath, Parish etc all around the ball.
He's also a good kick of the ball. But realistically he's a winger, so not really around the ball in that sense

Too weak, small and gives away dumb free kicks too often. Won't even mention his poor disposal. He always gives his best and I don't see him lacking, but just doesn't have AFL qualities currently.

I agree
he is a mediocre undersized afl footballer
nothing more nothing less
tell me his special afl trait
ps the answer is there isn’t one

He's fine in isolation because he can play a number of roles but he is a shocking selection for the balance of the team as it stands.

He gets the ball because he has the freedom to play as the outnumber around the ball.

That's why his numbers are high not because of his effort or special understanding.

We could try giving that freedom to Hibberd, Langford or Begley and we might actually get some benefit from the role.

This is a perfect example of the way a career becomes self fulfilling. Play him as a forward and he will struggle as much as anyone else to get the ball 10 times.

The question is why Snelling? Of all the players on the list we could get this 20 possessions from we've chosen another guy who has doesnt hurt the opposition and/or doesn't help us hurt the opposition.

Last edited:
Him playing anywhere other than small forward is a direct reflection of our midfield - poor. He just shouldn't be an option on a wing at AFL level.

That said he could play plenty of games as a small forward at Essendon because he's consistent, does all the hard stuff and kicks straight.

He is a small good honest footballer
we have a stack of em
and they will not get you to finals consistently let alone anything else

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had 3 kicks and 5 handballs at half time. His first touch after HT was that bullet to Draper and I said "see that, he can do that, he is a great kick of the ball".

Did not kick the ball for literally the rest of the game. We have so many poor kicks of the ball yet one of our best doesn't seem to want to kick it. Why? Surely the coaches are seeing some of his kicks and are saying he should be kicking the pill more often?
For the love of god kick the ball! He kicked it once. I swear to god, does he not know how good a kick he is? He's in the top 10 kicks at the club! I'd really only have Langford, Daniher, Merrett, Fantasia, Ridley, Redman (iffy based on recent form) and Walla as better field kicks. Stewart on the right is pretty good but his left is pretty bad. Francis used to be but has regressed. McKenna too inconsistent. Same with Saad

Is it just me? Because I swear to god when he actually does kick the thing he does things like that kick to Draper that got him his first goal.
One bad error in an otherwise good game. Still easily best 22. Needs to kick it more though
Just gonna quote all of these. Zero kicks tonight. I just don't get it.

Just gonna quote all of these. Zero kicks tonight. I just don't get it.

Always within 2 meters of the contest and putting the pressure on. That is what they are asking him to do.

He's fine in isolation because he can play a number of roles but he is a shocking selection for the balance of the team as it stands.

He gets the ball because he has the freedom to play as the outnumber around the ball.

That's why his numbers are high not because of his effort or special understanding.

We could try giving that freedom to Hibberd, Langford or Begley and we might actually get some benefit from the role.

This is a perfect example of the way a career becomes self fulfilling. Play him as a forward and he will struggle as much as anyone else to get the ball 10 times.

The question is why Snelling? Of all the players on the list we could get this 20 possessions from we've chosen another guy who has doesnt hurt the opposition and/or doesn't help us hurt the opposition.

I am going to call bull s**t on Begley. Most over rated dumb footballer on our list.
Langford also got a lot of time to play on the ball but he was just not up to it. His role is what he is doing now. Forward / Wing.
Snelling does not have the luxury of just running around as the extra. He is the bloke on the inside doing the pressuring stuff as the extra so that others like Merritt can be on the outside. When he has played as a forward more often than not he has hit the scoreboard.
Hibberd may well be able to do the same thing.
Snelliong is just another good ordinary player but until you upgrade with better players who will still play the team role then he gets a game.

Honestly I don't like what I've been seeing from Snelling lately. The role he has been playing could be better played by Clarke or Hibberd in my books.
He's way too pedestrian as a midfielder and doesn't bring enough elite attributes to the table.

I'd have him as a small forward or out of the side.

He's not why people pay to go to games, and we have too many of his quality and at the same time too few of his 'type'.

One of his habdballs was impressive yesterday. Maybe he has something there that they can see and encourage at training that is yet to appear much in games?

Last edited:
I am going to call bull sh*t on Begley. Most over rated dumb footballer on our list.
Langford also got a lot of time to play on the ball but he was just not up to it. His role is what he is doing now. Forward / Wing.
Snelling does not have the luxury of just running around as the extra. He is the bloke on the inside doing the pressuring stuff as the extra so that others like Merritt can be on the outside. When he has played as a forward more often than not he has hit the scoreboard.
Hibberd may well be able to do the same thing.
Snelliong is just another good ordinary player but until you upgrade with better players who will still play the team role then he gets a game.

How smart do you have to be to apply pressure?

How smart do you have to be to apply pressure?

Not smart at all but why do players not want to do it ? serious question. We have very few on our list that want to do it. People keep saying "anyone can do it" but they do not do it. They do not want to be the one in and under in the trenches making the tackles , trying to smother the ball .
This is not just an AFL thing. Have seen it at all levels from senior country footy to junior footy.

Not smart at all but why do players not want to do it ? serious question. We have very few on our list that want to do it. People keep saying "anyone can do it" but they do not do it. They do not want to be the one in and under in the trenches making the tackles , trying to smother the ball .
This is not just an AFL thing. Have seen it at all levels from senior country footy to junior footy.
Even many limited AFL players have been stars at lower levels so It's not necessarily in their midset to play a role from the outset.

Coachability / ability to follow instructions needs to be something that is targeted in players when recruiting (it's actually not that difficult to identify this trait in a simple conversation with someone if you know what you are doing).

Take a Snelling or Townsend who have always been limited physically and you are far more likely to have someone conditioned to scrapping and doing grunt work than a Zaharakis - A reasonably skilled 6 footer who ran under 3 seconds over 20 - though i believe he was fairly ordinary as a junior as well so maybe not a good example for that - but a good Essendon 'star' example.

Then you get the odd competitive beast like Danger who makes everyone look ridiculous.

It's do the hard stuff or go home and make cappuccinos for Snelling, while the show pony stable at Essendon snag a 20XX B&F and want to play like they are GAJ for their remaining careers.

The Cats are a pretty good example. They had their better versions of the coachable type cracking in hard last night (Rohan and Dalhaus to name two). The Dalhaus tap on was gold, and Rohan is everything Townsend isn't - with the same desperation. .

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back