Delisted #11: Will "Meatball" Snelling - Delisted 25/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I think he’s a good find. It’s not about him as an individual.

To me the height/size stuff is about the balance of the team - I believe our small midfield (plus Kyle) negatively impacts our marking power in general play (ie those contests between the arcs that aren’t the classic long down the line situation) and ability to physically match and (god forbid) even intimidate other teams.

Which is a completely fair point. The mix is clearly not quite right in a couple of ways.

I think he’s been a really shrewd pick up, I don’t see anything stopping him from becoming a Sam Gray/Josh Thomas type 20 touch and goal a game type half forward beyond a consistent crack at it.

Richmond play 6, 7, even 8 of them at times, it doesn’t worry them because it’s not relevant to that role.

He’s not a walk up start and I suspect he’s always going to operate around the fringes but the fact that everyone’s focusing on his height and not the fact that he’s shown an ability to run through the middle while impacting as a forward shows that our priorities are completely out of whack.

We don't have a game plan that allows him to operate to his strengths. Our one trick ability doesn't allow for very much to be honest. As fairbump_playon said, I didn't mean to make it about Will, it was not meant to be about him as a player, he could be ok. I dont see where he fits into our system. Does he displace Fantasia? Walla? Perhaps we shift away from so many marking forwards and slot him into that mix. Right now, he doesn't.

Fwiw, I like what he brings to the table. Just not sure where he fits into the overall scheme of things

We don't have a game plan that allows him to operate to his strengths. Our one trick ability doesn't allow for very much to be honest. As fairbump_playon said, I didn't mean to make it about Will, it was not meant to be about him as a player, he could be ok. I dont see where he fits into our system. Does he displace Fantasia? Walla? Perhaps we shift away from so many marking forwards and slot him into that mix. Right now, he doesn't.

Fwiw, I like what he brings to the table. Just not sure where he fits into the overall scheme of things

He can play midfield and was very good at it in the VFL. His fit in the side is better midfield depth and someone who plays like Devon Smith. He is not just a small forward.In his last 4 SANFL games he averaged 36 disposals 13 tackles and 8 clearances. He is not the really big bodied midfielder we still need but he is a natural midfielder who can play forward. He was averaging around 27 per game in the VFL before he came into the AFL side.

As for our one trick ability i suggest you should start watching the games closer. It is not that we have one trick. The problem is we keep ******* up plan A , plan B and plan C with piss poor kicking into an average forward line. People do not take into account how much kicking to the opposition kills the game plan. Have a look at all the poor sides. The are poor because they can not keep possession of the footy.
How many times have you been watching us play and yelled when we have been streaming forward only to miss the forward and kick it to the opposition ?

1. I am happy to have more than 1 Devon Smith in the team.

2. If we had had him in the team a couple of years ago, Mark Baguley would be a distant memory.
Baguely wasn’t a great footballer, a pretty average small defender and an ok pressure forward in 2018. One thing that can’t be denied is that he got the best out of himself and gave effort in every game. If we had 22 blokes with that mentality (but greater ability, pretty much every player on our list) we’d be challenging for top 4.

Perhaps Snelling can be a pressure forward as we have a shortage in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With all this recent talks about reducing list sizes, surely Snelling will be gone sadly. Not a fan of the idea one bit.

Why? I know EFC is renowned for it's pecking order but just because we picked him up as a rookie, it shouldn't determine his value.

With all this recent talks about reducing list sizes, surely Snelling will be gone sadly. Not a fan of the idea one bit.
He's played what, 5 of the last 8 AFL games? Averaged a touch over a goal a game with high teens disposals and a tackle inside 50 a game whilst playing as a flanker. Yeah, I'm gonna say he'd be in our top 30.

He’ll be getting a gig over the likes of Mutch begley Laverde Stewart at this stage. He’s cheaper, dependable, plays his heart out and is obviously thankful for his second chance.
I'm not sure Stewart's in the conversation. Our key forward stocks are currently:

Joe Daniher (RFA, will he go to Sydney? Will he ever get over his OP?)
Shaun McKernan (UFA, still lacks consistency, has had at least one major injury the past 2 years)
James Stewart (OOC, has been fit apart from one injury last year, has shown he's capable at AFL level)
Noah Gown (OOC, no AFL games, and whilst a promising player, has had two major injuries in his foot which may restrict his mobility)
Harrison Jones (Beanpole who averaged under 1 goal/game at TAC level)
Jayden Laverde (More of a medium but consistently injured, inconsistent, averages less than 1 goal/game at AFL level whilst playing majority forward with over 40 games at AFL level)
Jake Stringer (Plays closer to a small despite his size, and clearly the best of the current options)

The reality is he's nearly in the prime of his career and may well be one of two viable key forward next year depending on what happens with Daniher.

I'm not sure Stewart's in the conversation. Our key forward stocks are currently:

Joe Daniher (RFA, will he go to Sydney? Will he ever get over his OP?)
Shaun McKernan (UFA, still lacks consistency, has had at least one major injury the past 2 years)
James Stewart (OOC, has been fit apart from one injury last year, has shown he's capable at AFL level)
Noah Gown (OOC, no AFL games, and whilst a promising player, has had two major injuries in his foot which may restrict his mobility)
Harrison Jones (Beanpole who averaged under 1 goal/game at TAC level)
Jayden Laverde (More of a medium but consistently injured, inconsistent, averages less than 1 goal/game at AFL level whilst playing majority forward with over 40 games at AFL level)
Jake Stringer (Plays closer to a small despite his size, and clearly the best of the current options)

The reality is he's nearly in the prime of his career and may well be one of two viable key forward next year depending on what happens with Daniher.
If lists are shortened can’t afford to carry injury prone players that hardly get on the park. Unless he proves something this year doubt he’ll be there for 2021. We’ll be looking at another key forward in the draft this year as well maybe thilthorpe or Baldwin who are almost ready made body wise.

If lists are shortened can’t afford to carry injury prone players that hardly get on the park. Unless he proves something this year doubt he’ll be there for 2021. We’ll be looking at another key forward in the draft this year as well maybe thilthorpe or Baldwin who are almost ready made body wise.
So you suggest delisting the 25 year old who's literally had one major injury in his career, which the signs have indicated he's gotten over, and keep the 29 who's had a 2 major injuries in as many years? One injury doesn't make someone "injury prone".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back