Delisted #11: Will "Meatball" Snelling - Delisted 25/10

Remove this Banner Ad

he's just a crummy version of devon smith. he's why we have to make up a role for devon in defence. just a waste of a spot having both of them...

He’s a strange one.

Seems to be able to know where to be and reads the play well enough, but his disposal with those stupid over the shoulder handballs that cause turn overs are a momentum killer.

Will probably poll top ten in the BnF.
Says a lot.

He was one of 5 players to play all 17 games this year (Saad, Ridley, AMT and Parish). He only averaged more kicks per game than Clarke, Mosquito and Phillips. Which is strange because he's mostly agood kick.

2 years. He has several AFL qualities, played every game, just needs to start kicking the ball more as his kicking is pretty great and his handballing skills are inconsistent at best

Showed noticeable improvement this year. I also think he's one of the few who understand the game plan and plays a good role.

Has scope for more improvement and is still young. Definitely give him at least another year, if not two.

He's a good player.
I consider Tippa a good player, Stringer is a good player too. I wouldn't put him in that category. Snelling is just...ok. Like, depth, at best. He has his qualities and always cracks in, no denying that. But at the end of the day he's still a SANFL midget with t-rex arms and frankly we have too many of him already.

Personally, if he's on the list going forward, I don't think his role should be more than to be Dev Smith's understudy.

I consider Tippa a good player, Stringer is a good player too. I wouldn't put him in that category. Snelling is just...ok. Like, depth, at best. He has his qualities and always cracks in, no denying that. But at the end of the day he's still a SANFL midget with t-rex arms and frankly we have too many of him already.

Personally, if he's on the list going forward, I don't think his role should be more than to be Dev Smith's understudy.
His role should be as a wing. Pure and simple.

His role should be as a wing. Pure and simple.
I think our wings should be tall marking targets, personally. So many times we try and go down the line and we've got a couple of pinny's (like Ham, Snelling, Zaka etc) next to two legitimate men, and we lose the contest.

If we're playing him, I'd like to see him more around the forward line. He's good at applying pressure and has proven to be like Langford in the sense that he can kick some absolute lasers i50. Plus he knows where the goals are.

I think our wings should be tall marking targets, personally. So many times we try and go down the line and we've got a couple of pinny's (like Ham, Snelling, Zaka etc) next to two legitimate men, and we lose the contest.

If we're playing him, I'd like to see him more around the forward line. He's good at applying pressure and has proven to be like Langford in the sense that he can kick some absolute lasers i50. Plus he knows where the goals are.
I would have a 5/3 in/out split in the middle and I'd have a 4/4 split ideally for tall/small. I think as long as we have two taller wingers, he can be used as the fat side wing so he can be the one to deliver inside 50

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he's decent but I hate the role we play him in. Should mostly be a small forward who occasionally rotates through the middle. People bang on about how small our midfield is and how weak it is. Well he's probably the smallest and weakest of the group. Isn't particularly dangerous either and doesn't necessarily get that much of it either. Sometimes his tackle numbers look good but a lot of them are tackles that get broken or don't impede the player nearly enough.

Running into the forward line he's got good footy instincts and knows how to kick a goal or hit a team mate. Like I said I think he's got some AFL qualities but he has weaknesses and you have to find the right role for him.

I think he's decent but I hate the role we play him in. Should mostly be a small forward who occasionally rotates through the middle. People bang on about how small our midfield is and how weak it is. Well he's probably the smallest and weakest of the group. Isn't particularly dangerous either and doesn't necessarily get that much of it either. Sometimes his tackle numbers look good but a lot of them are tackles that get broken or don't impede the player nearly enough.

Running into the forward line he's got good footy instincts and knows how to kick a goal or hit a team mate. Like I said I think he's got some AFL qualities but he has weaknesses and you have to find the right role for him.
Broken tackles aren't counted as a tackle.

He's not great but he's best 22 at Essendon. Hell ihe's probably top 15 right now. We are....that good

2 years for the little bull.

Can play doesn't make any sense in our team.

Regardless of what running feets he was capable of, he's now closer to slow than anything else.

Balance matters. If we stay fit next year Snelling shouldn't play a game. Just a nonsensical selection given who else has been in reserve all year.

Something has to give if we want to get good. Moving the bar beyond mediocrity and addressing the balance of the side is essential.

And to that poster who mentioned Smith, he'd be the first player I fire out of my ceremonial delistings cannon closely followed by Townsend.

Regardless of what running feets he was capable of, he's now closer to slow than anything else.

Balance matters. If we stay fit next year Snelling shouldn't play a game. Just a nonsensical selection given who else has been in reserve all year.

Something has to give if we want to get good. Moving the bar beyond mediocrity and addressing the balance of the side is essential.

And to that poster who mentioned Smith, he'd be the first player I fire out of my ceremonial delistings cannon closely followed by Townsend.

Will fit's into Essendon and Dodoro's model of just putting a collective of 22 good players onto the park. Im with you, I don't see 'ít' with Will, a few tough calls need to be made and some people won't like them. Will is one whom tries hard, is ok, but ultimately is expendable for the side to move forward. Nonsical some are suggesting offering him two years.

Will fit's into Essendon and Dodoro's model of just putting a collective of 22 good players onto the park. Im with you, I don't see 'ít' with Will, a few tough calls need to be made and some people won't like them. Will is one whom tries hard, is ok, but ultimately is expendable for the side to move forward. Nonsical some are suggesting offering him two years.
He played every game, he's shown plenty of AFL attributes. He's far more likely to get 2 years than he is to be cut at the end of the year.

I wouldn't be offering him two years. IF he's offered two years, it's an indictment on where our list is at.
If he gets 2 years it shows that they think he's a best 22 player moving forward, which is reflected by the fact he played every game.

Yes, he has flaws (small, doesn't kick the ball enough) but the latter is something you can coach out of him. He's a very hard worker both ways and giving him 2 years is a pragmatic move and a just reward for a good year.

If he gets 2 years it shows that they think he's a best 22 player moving forward, which is reflected by the fact he played every game.

Yes, he has flaws (small, doesn't kick the ball enough) but the latter is something you can coach out of him. He's a very hard worker both ways and giving him 2 years is a pragmatic move and a just reward for a good year.

He's a nice little player, don't get me wrong, another case of Essendon putting 22 players together as a collective without care of systems or structures.

As a slow(ish) player without incisive kicking, he appears to have no distinct trait that stands out.

Without a standout posiiton, I don't see 'ít' moving forward. That is your opinion, I have mine. I'll happily agree to disagree on this one

I'd love nothing more than to agree for several reasons - but what small players on our list is better suited to play the Richmond/Rutten/Cara high intensity high pressure, 2 way running, handball happy gamestyle than this guy?

I don't like it more than most but of he doesn't stay then where are we actually heading?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back