Delisted #41: Ben McNiece

Remove this Banner Ad

watching the vfl i never rated this bloke as a superstar, yet he was so consistent and always in the top five, very sold. shows you don't need to have any party tricks to be good and just get the job done, to a good standard, leads by example. big fan of what this man can become.

If it's in the rules, it's in the rules. Not out fault there's a loophole.
In fairness (and I'm not too fussed with defending this, but anyway), it's barely even a loophole. The stated aim of the permanent academies is "to increase the number of players from multicultural and under-represented Indigenous areas", or words to that effect (quoting Emma Quayle). For this one-off free hit, there's nothing to preclude taking someone with VFL experience, and he fits the bill - unless you want to delve into policing how multicultural someone is, beyond their parentage. I guess you could have some requirement for the amount of time lived by the parent in Asia/Africa, but it doesn't rule out this kind of thing happening anyway. And for this one-off batch of signings to kick-start this multicultural drive, AFL House wouldn't want to restrict things any further - you want people picked up.

still, lol loophole

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm lost a little, did McNiece not nominate for the national draft, pre-season draft or rookie draft and then we signed him? Obviously the alternative is 17 other clubs overlooked him?

The AFL should have expected nothing less given it's a ham fisted, tokenistic effort to make it look like they're doing something, when in fact they're doing nothing at all, to the point where no one even knows how it works or what's going on. McNeice wasn't even nominated by us? fine. The deadline was 5pm 2 days ago? also fine.

I know it's only year one but I don't expect it to deliver any tagible change and outreach, rather a bunch of guys that have been on the fringes of elite systems for years and years and just happen to have a funny surname, because if they're eligible and any good they'll go up for bidding in the main draft and we'll have to pay market price for them anyway.

The McNiece family has been the backbone of Northcote Park since the 1970s, with his father Dennis (general manager) and uncle Peter (president) still serving on the committee.

Much alternative, so pathway

I know it's only year one but I don't expect it to deliver any tagible change and outreach, rather a bunch of guys that have been on the fringes of elite systems for years and years and just happen to have a funny surname, because if they're eligible and any good they'll go up for bidding in the main draft and we'll have to pay market price for them anyway.

Much alternative, so pathway

To be fair, it does change completely come 2018 (and to a lesser degree 2017):

From 2018, clubs will need to nominate and bid for their players on draft night using the bidding system that applies to father-son prospects and those from the four northern academies.

However, they must have applied to the AFL for any players to be declared eligible no later than the start of the year in which they turn 16.

While special exceptions may be made, players are unlikely to be deemed eligible unless they have been participating in their club's academy for at least three years.

Clubs can pay prospects no more than $25,000 worth of benefits unless the AFL signs off on it, and players who play 10 TAC Cup or state league matches are unlikely to be eligible.
That said...three years in an academy, and <10 TAC Cup games. If they have the quality to be even considered as a pick up, will this end up actively keeping these kids out of TAC games? :/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back