Delisted #41: Ben McNiece

naraku

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
A.C. Milan
Too similar? They're poles apart other than the fact that they're both back half roleplayers

Dea is good on mediums, is slow but can't really play on genuine talls or smalls.
McNiece is a genuine small, is quick, but can really only play on smalls.

Well , I got no idea why but I thought they're about the same height... not sure how I mixed it so badly !

Anyway, Ben was pretty bad tonight. I'm still not sure of his position in our side if at all.

Surley Goddard is finished keeping the spot warm for Franga
Francis doesn't do enough pointing and yelling at people to suit Goddard's role. I think the industry calls that stuff 'leadership' :eyes:

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure why we are playing him.....don’t often require three genuine small defenders, on the rare occasion we do all of Baguley, McGrath or Tippa have the ability to shift back. Imagine Guelfi could also do a job.

Ridley would have been a better option tonight.

Not sure why we are playing him.....don’t often require three genuine small defenders, on the rare occasion we do all of Baguley, McGrath or Tippa have the ability to shift back. Imagine Guelfi could also do a job.

Ridley would have been a better option tonight.
You make a good point. We seem to run with two lock-down type players, which is some combination of McNiece, Dea and Ambrose depending on match-ups and availability.

Does Fremantle have enough tall/medium forwards to switch back to a four medium-talls defence? Ambrose, Francis and Ridley are all of a height, and are the shortest defenders not currently in the team. I suspect one of the three may be in next week, and Ambrose (who has been preferred up til now) is injured. :eyes:

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
You make a good point. We seem to run with two lock-down type players, which is some combination of McNiece, Dea and Ambrose depending on match-ups and availability.

Does Fremantle have enough tall/medium forwards to switch back to a four medium-talls defence? Ambrose, Francis and Ridley are all of a height, and are the shortest defenders not currently in the team. I suspect one of the three may be in next week, and Ambrose (who has been preferred up til now) is injured. :eyes:
Probably not - imagine he’ll get the nod again as Matera and Walters are dangerous and they clearly like to free up Saad....which, to answer my own question, is why McNeice plays.

We miss Redman - can play on smalls and mediums and at a much higher level.

AcuteWhistle

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Untitled.png

Unfortunately he'll struggle to keep his spot after that performance but it's not as if our defence leaked goals all night so maybe he played his role & gets another game. Playing in his first win for the year might help get his confidence up.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
No one else to play that small lockdown role unfortunately
Well Saad could....

Keep in mind that using McNeice on smalls to free up Saad can have unintended consequences....last night he ended up on 189 cm, sticky fingered Holman who caused him trouble.

If they only play a couple of smalls then we potentially risk a bad match up in the name of freeing him to run. Good teams can punish this.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Well Saad could....

Keep in mind that using McNeice on smalls to free up Saad can have unintended consequences....last night he ended up on 189 cm, sticky fingered Holman who caused him trouble.

If they only play a couple of smalls then we potentially risk a bad match up in the name of freeing him to run. Good teams can punish this.

Yep. Really miss a running mid-sized defender - Gleeson/Redman. Allows everyone to be accountable then go when they can - rather that trying to release Saad.

Well Saad could....

Saad didn’t ‘end up on him’ they were tagging him.

One of those ones where I wouldn't be surprised to be off the list next year or be best 22 come round 1.
I'm prepared to give every single one of our players a chance; but I'd be highly surprised if the latter occurs.

Was good today, some of his kicking through the corridor and to advantage was glorious.

Yep praise for the whipping boy, come at me.

Back