Delisted #41: Ben McNiece

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, it does change completely come 2018 (and to a lesser degree 2017):

That said...three years in an academy, and <10 TAC Cup games. If they have the quality to be even considered as a pick up, will this end up actively keeping these kids out of TAC games? :/

Yeah exactly, I suspect those that get drafted through these zones were always going to get drafted anyway and clubs will just neglect you unless you're a rolled gold Rioli/Naitanui style prospect.

This video is 2 years old, but we could have had this little dude (#10), instead we go for McNeice, and it makes perfect sense business wise.

Still a move in the right direction, though I feel that clubs need to be incentivised to do more, because they won't put in otherwise.

Yeah exactly, I suspect those that get drafted through these zones were always going to get drafted anyway and clubs will just neglect you unless you're a rolled gold Rioli/Naitanui style prospect.

This video is 2 years old, but we could have had this little dude (#10), instead we go for McNeice, and it makes perfect sense business wise.

Still a move in the right direction, though I feel that clubs need to be incentivised to do more, because they won't put in otherwise.

Yep. Even keeping the three years of academy contact, but removing the < 10 TAC games requirement. Sure you'd get the odd northern-academy-esque steal, but that's something that you have to deal with if you genuinely want more players out of these regions - especially when other clubs do have the right to bid on them a la F/S and academy picks.

The AFL should have expected nothing less given it's a ham fisted, tokenistic effort to make it look like they're doing something, when in fact they're doing nothing at all, to the point where no one even knows how it works or what's going on. McNeice wasn't even nominated by us? fine. The deadline was 5pm 2 days ago? also fine.

I know it's only year one but I don't expect it to deliver any tagible change and outreach, rather a bunch of guys that have been on the fringes of elite systems for years and years and just happen to have a funny surname, because if they're eligible and any good they'll go up for bidding in the main draft and we'll have to pay market price for them anyway.

Much alternative, so pathway

Absolutely right - Will try to catch up with the McNeice's at Northcote Park when I am in Melbourne in 2017 - I knew the Mum was Indian but assumed she was born in Australia - The McNeice is the most dinki di Aussie family you could meet - And Mum fits into that stereotype - Anyway its a fantastic opportunity for Ben and I expect he'll play AFL footy.

To be fair, it does change completely come 2018 (and to a lesser degree 2017):

That said...three years in an academy, and <10 TAC Cup games. If they have the quality to be even considered as a pick up, will this end up actively keeping these kids out of TAC games? :/

Look at the Academy players chosen in the drafts - Not all of them play 10 TAC cup games or the equivalent - Clubs tend to hide them as much as possible.

Absolutely right - Will try to catch up with the McNeice's at Northcote Park when I am in Melbourne in 2017 - I knew the Mum was Indian but assumed she was born in Australia - The McNeice is the most dinki di Aussie family you could meet - And Mum fits into that stereotype - Anyway its a fantastic opportunity for Ben and I expect he'll play AFL footy.

So wait, is his mum ethnically Indian or Anglo Saxon born in India?

So wait, is his mum ethnically Indian or Anglo Saxon born in India?

Mum is Indian - I assumed Mum was born in Australia - Actually McNeice has similar looks to Morgan - That Aussie/Indian mix.

Let's get down to the important question: is it McNeice or McNiece?
Definitely McNiece.

Played a lot of juniors with Ben, always had neat foot skills and cracked in hard playing as a genuine mid. Obviously has improved out of sight in recent years in the VFL finding a niche as a small defender. Good bloke with a great attitude towards footy and leadership skills, never a bad idea to give these sorts of guys a try :thumbsu:.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

O1V6BFvj.jpg

You got it.
I am just cut because of the state that AFL Tasmania is in at the moment. No kids want to play in the AFL anymore.
The AFL need to step their game up here.

You don't like any of the 20 different versions that have been put in the thread so far?
Well noone has pointed to a quoted source. AFL website says nothing that lets us know how.

Is anyone able to point me to the exact rule that says we can have him as cat b?

3 ticks

Under the revised rules, clubs will be able to apply for 2016 draft-eligible players to qualify as talent concessions under the next generation academy rules.
If the AFL decides that the player meets the qualifications under the indigenous or multicultural eligibility, the club will be able to list the player as a category B rookie, but only if the player is not selected in the national or rookie drafts.

A player has to meet several forms of approval before being ticked off as being eligible to join a club under the next generation academy rules.

As well as residing in a certain club's region, to be eligible the player must be born or have one parent born in Asia or Africa; be of Indigenous background residing in a remote region; or have both parents born in a non-English speaking country (not Asia or Africa).

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-27/academy-rules-tweaked-to-give-overlooked-talent-another-chance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back