Delisted #41: Ben McNiece

The one thing that will always work in McNiece’s favour is that he kicks bullets.

Not my favourite player but you know he’ll compete and he’s generally been quite reliable when he’s been given a go

The one thing that will always work in McNiece’s favour is that he kicks bullets.

Not my favourite player but you know he’ll compete and he’s generally been quite reliable when he’s been given a go
That diving effort on ANZAC Day a few years ago still sticks in my mind. Just works really bloody hard.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Nothing against McNiece but Ridley is like the AFL version of McNiece. Plays the same role, just as quick but is about 10cm taller, has better endurance and can play on a range of players. Both are good kicks, I guess in theory McNiece is better but I don't reckon at AFL level we've seen that. Everytime I see McNiece at AFL level he simply looks too slow for the types of players he is against at AFL level. Its not easy to make it as an average paced small defender, unless you are an absolute gun like a Laird.

McNiece is top 3 in our VFL BnF right now IMO (alongside Hartley and Clarke) and it's not as if he's been disgraced at AFL level when he's gone up, he's beaten some handy forwards in his time. Including his likely match up this week in Brandon Matera, who's in some handy form right now (13 goals in 6 games)

Liberator

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
McNiece is top 3 in our VFL BnF right now IMO (alongside Hartley and Clarke) and it's not as if he's been disgraced at AFL level when he's gone up, he's beaten some handy forwards in his time. Including his likely match up this week in Brandon Matera, who's in some handy form right now (13 goals in 6 games)
Yep he's handy, at least. I reckon Draper would have won it, had he played mostly in the 2nds and stayed uninjured...

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Hooker went off at him late in the game when Ben kicked ito the pocket instead of playing tempo and kicking to Hooker out wide. Don’t like his chances of keeping his spot.
We were sitting right next to where Hooker was...everyone was screaming HOOOKKKEEERRR. and ben did not look sideways. Yeah Hooker went off lol, and he should have kicked it him.

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
He’s in a bit of no-man’s land on our list. Not really young enough for development purposes. Hasn’t played enough games to have a solid foundation. Doesn’t seem to have a very high ceiling. The role he plays is done better by others. At the same time, he seems to be a nice footballer who can slot in when required. Difficult to project what part he might play in our future.

Future premiership half-back? Can anyone see it?

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Have been an advocate for some time but it's time to say thanks for coming.

Genuinely looked out of his depth last night. For a guy who is 26/27, it was now or never to forge a role/career at AFL level. Most weeks have been below average. One thing that serves him well is the lack of small defensive options we have developing in the VFL. Perhaps Ridley comes in for Mceice but the pickings are slim.

Back