Delisted 41. Cameron Taheny (2020- 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate to say it but I hope it's not Kersten you're thinking of...

No cant say he gives me a Kersten vibe either .. there are probably a lot of players who have played like that..at times..... gees even GA sr kicked a lot of goals from mark and kick ... what we will have to wait for is more the info not shown in youtube minutes... so much more is asked of players now than just mark and goal. He has sticky hands , he has a good leg from a stop play .. after that ...we will see. How many marks can he find when its not feed to him , how often is he going to get pushed left if he is one sided..etc..

Last edited:

Nothing harder for a defender than negating a leading forward who has real pace....and who kicks straight from 45....

I'll be watching this lad's progress carefully...
Maybe once ..maybe if the team plays with some urgency ... maybe if a team can win the ball from the middle when the numbers are fair and square ..

time will tell I guess but I hope he has some ground ball stuff he can bring to the table ...

I would say Freddie is next to debut before Kennerly
Kennerly and Freddy are totally different types of players. Freddy can play back or forward. He is mobile enough to play 3rd tall and almost big enough to be a KPP.
I think that I will have to see who is in form, and where the possible vacancies are on the list where a debutant could slip in. But I am hopeful that a good number of players not only debut, but get a number of games under their belt in 2020.

Kennerly and Freddy are totally different types of players. Freddy can play back or forward. He is mobile enough to play 3rd tall and almost big enough to be a KPP.
I think that I will have to see who is in form, and where the possible vacancies are on the list where a debutant could slip in. But I am hopeful that a good number of players not only debut, but get a number of games under their belt in 2020.

My logic is much based on what has seen young players get picked whn one might not have predicted it based on the previous years performance ..as with Miers. If Kendoll is really breaking hearts with his running ..it will get noticed. But Freedie has been mentioned as someone who has come back looking good as well..

the question on debutants for this thread is ..can anyone from this year ..specifically Tarheny ; make his chance work in 2020? Seems like he needs some work in the gym ..

My logic is much based on what has seen young players get picked whn one might not have predicted it based on the previous years performance ..as with Miers. If Kendoll is really breaking hearts with his running ..it will get noticed. But Freedie has been mentioned as someone who has come back looking good as well..

the question on debutants for this thread is ..can anyone from this year ..specifically Tarheny ; make his chance work in 2020? Seems like he needs some work in the gym ..

Needing a couple of years in the gym didn't stop Clark, its all about the have the right attributes, if a guy can stay on the ground for 68% of game time he'll get selected.

Needing a couple of years in the gym didn't stop Clark, its all about the have the right attributes, if a guy can stay on the ground for 68% of game time he'll get selected.

The fact that he’s played senior footy already and acquitted himself really well should give confidence that he could at least debut next year. This kid has serious class. Bit of the Stevie J’s...

I will be very surprised to see him selected in the afl 2020 . very. Not only from the gym work needed but the quality of our side and him having to adapt to afl.
Clark .. surprised me ..so its possible..but Clark was an early pick... not a late pick

The fact that he’s played senior footy already and acquitted himself really well should give confidence that he could at least debut next year. This kid has serious class. Bit of the Stevie J’s...
How many games did SJ play the year after being drafted ? 12 . So I guess if he does stack up his quality he may push his way in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many games did SJ play the year after being drafted ? 12 . So I guess if he does stack up his quality he may push his way in.

We were a very different team back in 2002 when Steve J debuted. I think it will be a lot more difficult for Taheny to play a dozen games in this side. If he was able to debut in 2020 I think that would be a good effort.

We were a very different team back in 2002 when Steve J debuted. I think it will be a lot more difficult for Taheny to play a dozen games in this side. If he was able to debut in 2020 I think that would be a good effort.

In theory ... someone come into the club and do enough to obviously offer a subset that we lack ..ie Clark. The question is ..what do we lack in our forwardline ... what would the MC desire more of..? More goals or more pressure? Id hope more goals but suspect more pressure...at the very least goals at the cost of pressure would be a no no. So Does Tarh have the ability to cover ground and tackle while kicking goals. Id think someone like Close who is that bit older may be closer to playing (only a guess really till we the rubber meets the road).. Really if Tarh can find a way to get in front of Rohan and 3-5 other sub 186 players he will had done amazingly well.. and plenty will be commenting like they were with Kelly ..how did this player get to 50 etc.

The difference in my opinion to back in 02... Thompson had a mandate from the club to clean house , we would absorb 2-4 years of devolpment of the drafted players ..getting 50 plaus games into them while trying keep certain rusted on types. Kelly SJ etc all got games and perhaps got them earlier than they would have in this era. Probably says something about Clark. Of corse the counter to that is the Scott era alwasy had a default of 2min players under 20 games ( or some such game tally).. its this that is helped our list not be hanging one handed on the edge of a cliff...but has probably at the same time had a role in a few dry wells.

Leading for the ball is an art, time it right and know one can stop you. if he has that could be special

Looked real fast over the first 3 metres that's really about perceptive intuition imo, creates unstoppable separation.
Much harder at AFL level but seems to have that gift.

Last edited:
….the question on debutants for this thread is ..can anyone from this year ..specifically Tarheny ; make his chance work in 2020? Seems like he needs some work in the gym ..

Gary Buckenara seems to think that Taheny can play next season.

Cameron Taheny at pick 50 is a steal. I really like him and had him rated at 29 so it’s no wonder the Cats traded up the draft order (in a deal with Essendon for picks 63 and future third and fourth-round picks) to snap him up as a guy who can create something from nothing inside 50 – the type of player the Cats lack.

Sam De Koning will have a development year next year but Taheny and Cooper Stephens can play next year.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...H_ipr_AbO6655Y4OB9JWDkfo3l_IzIwc5PLMFBy2JyYzM

Well going by the addy both Freddie and Kennerley are a chance for rd1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back