Delisted #41: Cian McBride ☘️ - Not offered a contract for 2024 - 28/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Same as Phillips, haven't heard a thing about him, was "managed" in the intraclub game, didn't play pre-season games or VFL practice matches. Is he injured or home sick or what?

According to the training reports on Blitz this he's now upped his running to something approaching full pace.

Spent what seemed like a week or 2 in a moon boot. I suspect it was hotspot.

McBride did a few nice things against Pies VFL.

Like McKenna he has no issue with the physical side of the game. His ball handling under pressure is really quite good though his handballs needs a bit of work. We didn't get to see a lot of his defensive work and he was out of position a few times.

It was a lot like the pre-season game he played against WCE last year the combination of size, aggression and athleticism is eye catching.

Obviously there is more to work on than not but he looked fit. It was a good start. A stretch of 10 games from here should be really interesting/enticing viewing.

60-70% game time in his first game back, competed well
Cian McBride
Stats: 12 disposals, one mark

“It was his first game back for a while and it was really exciting to see him out there. He competed really strongly. A bit like ‘Brandy’ (Cody Brand), he had a couple of early hit-ups the Collingwood players got on him, but one-on-one and in the highball contests he was really competitive. I think he played 60-70 per cent of game time and he got through, so it was really exciting to see him back.”

Rucked in the VFL, did really well.
Cian McBride
Stats: Five disposals, one mark, one tackle

“I thought it was a great effort from Cian. He had to ruck. It was the first time he’d been a ruckman and he was really competitive against De Koning, who's a very good ruckman from Carlton. We were only minus two for clearances for the game, so I thought he battled really hard and followed up really well. He knew we were under the pump and he tried to stay out as long as he could to help the boys, so I was really happy with his care for the team.”

Here's a pretty picture;
Cian-McBride.jpg

Coming back from injury, bit quiet.
Cian McBride
Stats: five disposals, two marks, one tackle

“Cian was a bit quiet. He’s defensive positioning caught him out a couple of times. Coming back from an injury, he was a little bit off the pace, but he’s had a really good week on the track so far and he’ll bounce back for us.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played forward, as noted above.

His best game for the club. :D

Cian McBride
Stats: Nine disposals, three goals, four marks, one tackle

“Cian, like Hirdy, played a new role. We moved him up forward this week as one of our key forwards. He kicked his three goals and took four contested marks - four really good contested marks. It was great to see him feel a bit more comfortable. He looked really good up forward and competed super well for us in the air. If he wasn't marking it, he was providing a contest for us. It was probably Cian’s best game for the club which was a great result."

Weird how he plays with no physical presence in defence, but move him forward and he’s clunking in packs.

Was almost to the point where I was thinking oversized back flanker

Have seen very little but looks like a big lump of a lad....if Hooker continues to struggle is he a sneaky change to get a gig crashing packs and creating crumbs in the seniors?

Or just far too raw?

Have seen very little but looks like a big lump of a lad....if Hooker continues to struggle is he a sneaky change to get a gig crashing packs and creating crumbs in the seniors?

Or just far too raw?
Too raw for now. Give him the year and most of next year in the VFL before that IMO

Played forward again but last week was his best game for the club and this week he was a "little lost".
Cian McBride
Stats: Three disposals, two marks, two tackles, eight hitouts

“Cian played his second game as a forward. He got a little bit lost at times with the positional stuff which is to be expected because he’s just learning the positions. When it's in his area, he does compete, which is what we like about him."

I just don't see him lasting at the club, we get one more year right?
Unless he's a guaranteed dud you might as well give him another year. Who are they going to replace him with? It's not like anyone's been able to travel to Ireland to suss out some more Cat Bs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back