Past #41: Corey Wagner - #43 '15 National Draft - 8 NM games - one Snapchat scandal - thanks Wags

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe Turner will play round 1 and given every opportunity to cement himself in the seniors. People have fallen off the bandwagon, but he was very good until last year. His aggression, speed and his tackling pressure and pressure in the forward line is great. If he keeps the ball in our forward half for longer and has 10-15 touches with a goal or two a game....Job done for this year.

Well, after the departure of long boy nahas, i've decided to get around wags this year.

I'm sure a decent year with the pill will see him land a cameo with Lisa Anne come November.

Yes, she did see the pics and was impressed.

#wags #champion #woofwoof

Wags is in his second year and has already shown something. I like his positioning, speed through the contest and i reckon hes got footy smarts. I think he will surprise this year. I like his moxy.

Well, after the departure of long boy the human tripod nahas, i've decided to get around wags this year.

I'm sure a decent year with the pill will see him land a cameo with Lisa Anne come November.

Yes, she did see the pics and was impressed.

#wags #champion #woofwoof

Pep Fraudiola said:
I'm a wagnerist, truly, I don't see anything of note.
This is how it's gonna be this year, huh? Corey, like Sam Wright before you, it's time to show up this semi-fraudulent imposter as the bad footy judge he is. :p

But seriously, I'm not convinced about Corey either. I do see the upside, however, and think he's someone who needs exposure to adjust to the pace and pressure of AFL. As I've said elsewhere, he seems 0.5-1 seconds or 2 metres off where he needs to be. He's not in the sprockets properly. He also needs surer hands. I'm keeping my powder dry for now.

p.s. You posted this in the Rd1 game day/preview thread, but I thought it needed to be recorded here for posterity. ;)

This is how it's gonna be this year, huh? Corey, like Sam Wright before you, it's time to show up this semi-fraudulent imposter as the bad footy judge he is. :p

But seriously, I'm not convinced about Corey either. I do see the upside, however, and think he's someone who needs exposure to adjust to the pace and pressure of AFL. As I've said elsewhere, he seems 0.5-1 seconds or 2 metres off where he needs to be. He's not in the sprockets properly. He also needs surer hands. I'm keeping my powder dry for now.

p.s. You posted this in the Rd1 game day/preview thread, but I thought it needed to be recorded here for posterity. ;)

Still very early days but i agree with you based on what he has shown so far.

Cant help but compare him with the little we have seen from Simpkin and Clarke and the difference in poise is stark. Simpkin and Clarke seem to know what they want to do well before they get the ball so when they do get a hold of it they are .5 - 1 second ahead and are quite composed. Wags is in the Anderson vein of last year where they are moving at breakneck speed and then seem to freak out a bit when they get it or as you mention they are just behind where they need to be and spend it early resulting in sloppy hands or fumbles.

Surely the composure for these type just comes with more time in the team. He just has to show enough to get that time or it could become a struggle

As above, the knock on him from some posters at draft time was his ball handling and that does stand out in match footage of him at North.

He has some nice attributes and might have enough 7/10s across the board to make a handy player but hard to call yet.
Smaller players just have to be that much better to make it in the midfield which is where I see him playing most of his footy. This year will tell us a lot more about his ceiling than last year though.
Doesn't seem to find the ball enough at this point but I've said several times before his finishing around goal for Werribee last year was very impressive, he has skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anyone see the game live?? Was he in the midfield?
See below

Quick report from 1st half only.

Fordham was everywhere. I always seem to see him at his best. Runs hard and strong, and takes the ball in risky, but attacking situations.

Wags ditto. Throws himself in as well, and is seeming to find good options with inside handball. Inside/outside..and lead up small potential. Surely his stats will show he had a stack of it.

Maj. Seems a bit off still with timing and intensity, but tough conditions with the wind for Maj. He was, however, pretty involved generally, and wouldn't surprise me to see him rack up some possessions. Had a couple of marks slip through the hands, and a couple of one handed attempts in simple 1-1 overhead contest. Couple of decent marks as well.

Only saw Williams do one thing....and that was an impressive gather in traffic at pace, and popped out free with the ball at the other end of the pack. Probably wouldn't have noticed him get the ball when he did though. Don't know his profile well enough to see from a distance.

Neilson Ok. Dudin OK. EVW pretty good, got a fair bit of ball. Beaten in the air once or twice.

happy to answer specific player questions if I can.

I prefer to see a rotation with Thomas tbh....Thomas has to step up and get more minutes in the centre square now that Harvey , Dal and Wells are gone.........leave Simpkin crumbing around the goals to ease him in for this season.

Did anyone see the game live?? Was he in the midfield?
http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2017-03-29/wagners-midfield-move

Second-year Roo Corey Wagner is enjoying a change to his role after spending more time in the midfield.

After a first season predominantly as a small forward, the 20-year-old collected 26 disposals for Werribee on the weekend splitting his time between the wing and the forward 50.

“I was more wing in the first half and then forward in the second half,” Wagner explained to NMFC.com.au.

“It gives the coaches a bit more of a look at what I can do and mixing the game up.”

Development coach David Loader was a keen onlooker of Wagner’s game for Werribee on the weekend, taking plenty of positives out of it.

“He looked like he was up and about and played with real enthusiasm and intent,” Loader said.

“He set up well at stoppages and was clean when he had the ball in his hands.”

A challenge of a new role is learning the subtle intricacies. For Wagner, that’s no different but the coaches are enthused by his progress.

“It’s (about learning) positioning around stoppages when he’s playing a wing role, and then his role changes when he goes forward in playing that mid-forward role,” Loader explained.

“He’s doing a lot of the donkey work if you like, getting up the ground and back again. It’s a combination of roles for him but he does them both relatively well so it’s good.”

Being able to mix the ‘donkey work’ with his skills on the outside of the pack will make Wagner a well-rounded player, and a pre-season filled with hard work has helped him so far.

“Putting on a few more kilos helps against the bigger bodies,” Wagner said.

“With my leaner body, I can do the inside stuff and then get outside of them, running harder there.

“That’s where my strengths are, the outside running, handball receives and inside 50 kicks.

“This week I tried to use a bit of that, but also keeping the pressure and hard work.

“I was hunting the ball more, and it worked out really well.

“I was a lot more cleaner with my handball receives and inside 50 kicks were a strength.

“I was able to set up a couple and kick a couple because of that.”

Looking forward to the future, Wagner can see a time where being able to play both midfield and forward helps his prospects of an AFL recall.

“Hopefully I’m going to keep doing both and keep my options open.

“Then if something does open up in the ones either forward or on a wing, it adds another string to the bow.”

“Hopefully I showed last week that I can do what I need to do while doing the grunt work and hopefully I can get a look in in the weeks to come.”

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2017-03-29/wagners-midfield-move

Second-year Roo Corey Wagner is enjoying a change to his role after spending more time in the midfield.

After a first season predominantly as a small forward, the 20-year-old collected 26 disposals for Werribee on the weekend splitting his time between the wing and the forward 50.

“I was more wing in the first half and then forward in the second half,” Wagner explained to NMFC.com.au.

“It gives the coaches a bit more of a look at what I can do and mixing the game up.”

Development coach David Loader was a keen onlooker of Wagner’s game for Werribee on the weekend, taking plenty of positives out of it.

“He looked like he was up and about and played with real enthusiasm and intent,” Loader said.

“He set up well at stoppages and was clean when he had the ball in his hands.”

A challenge of a new role is learning the subtle intricacies. For Wagner, that’s no different but the coaches are enthused by his progress.

“It’s (about learning) positioning around stoppages when he’s playing a wing role, and then his role changes when he goes forward in playing that mid-forward role,” Loader explained.

“He’s doing a lot of the donkey work if you like, getting up the ground and back again. It’s a combination of roles for him but he does them both relatively well so it’s good.”

Being able to mix the ‘donkey work’ with his skills on the outside of the pack will make Wagner a well-rounded player, and a pre-season filled with hard work has helped him so far.

“Putting on a few more kilos helps against the bigger bodies,” Wagner said.

“With my leaner body, I can do the inside stuff and then get outside of them, running harder there.

“That’s where my strengths are, the outside running, handball receives and inside 50 kicks.

“This week I tried to use a bit of that, but also keeping the pressure and hard work.

“I was hunting the ball more, and it worked out really well.

“I was a lot more cleaner with my handball receives and inside 50 kicks were a strength.

“I was able to set up a couple and kick a couple because of that.”

Looking forward to the future, Wagner can see a time where being able to play both midfield and forward helps his prospects of an AFL recall.

“Hopefully I’m going to keep doing both and keep my options open.

“Then if something does open up in the ones either forward or on a wing, it adds another string to the bow.”

“Hopefully I showed last week that I can do what I need to do while doing the grunt work and hopefully I can get a look in in the weeks to come.”
Cheers for that, Im very receptive to the idea of having him as a mid,
  • You know he will put his head over the ball
  • tough in the clinches
  • and as the article says has some outside ability
This free up Zeibell I think if we're to improve as a football club is to get Zeibell away from the midfield ....hmm maybe I should say allow him to have way less minutes in the midfield.
chasing Kelly and developing a player like Wagner goes a long way in achieving this.

Usually the club foreshadows inclusions into the seniors with articles like this. Those are good numbers, even if it is VFL. We saw what he can do on occasions last year. He looks more mature and stronger this year - could be very handy and with his pace he could be very useful on a wing. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets a game this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back