41 days on, and do you know what sh!#$ me?!*

Remove this Banner Ad

The only thing I remember, was missus (pies supporter and me (tigers supporter) getting very drunk
We rode the whole wave, nail biting stuff, last Q comes around both nervous
Kicked the 1st 2 and we looked at each other thought could be safe
Biting nails all through the last few plays, counting down the minutes, more drinking
2 minutes to go sitting forward in our seats, McGovern marks
Missus says here we go, nervous, drinking, watching the play
Goes to contest with Sheed, he marks, we both at same time call bullsh1t
He slots through, we are both gutted (me more for her, love her to bits)
Siren sounds, she says o'well we turn telly off and keep drinking
Go to bed that night, make love and haven't talked about it since
Proud of her, the way she took it all, moved on instantly, wish I could be more like her (re my tigers)
Some people in this world have the right attitude, their head screwed on properly, glad my missus is one of them

Share a lot of your sentiment. That Age article in the days after gave me some comfort.

As for going again, I can’t help myself. I genuinely never expected to win it in 2018. The GF seemed to fall out of the sky for me.

Now I fluctuate between thinking we will smash all comers on our way to glorious no. 16 in 2019...or we’ll fall away. But we have a great bunch of lads, so maybe, just maybe, it will be the former.

Buckley’s appalling run of poor luck has to end some time too. It’s verging on tragic.
Not just Bucks bad luck - I remember having the scum on toast halfway through the '70 GF only to have Macca taken out by friendly fire.

Buckley getting suspended for a bullshit excuse of back chatting an umpire so that the AFL could assure the Bears of a flag.

Rocca's goal . . . .

Etc., etc., etc.

Buckley getting suspended for a bullshit excuse of back chatting an umpire so that the AFL could assure the Bears of a flag.
I'm confused.
Norm Smith 2002.
Brownlow 2003 i.e, no suspension.

The big shame about last game 2018 was it “the” chance “the” missed opportunity?

Close but no cigar.

Close, only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.

I get what he means. They dominated the majority of the game, just not on the scoreboard. We had one brilliant quarter and then a burst in the 4th. I can't watch it though, so I could have missed some things.
That’s pretty much it.

We just gutsed it out.

We played Eagles 3 times in 2018 and lost each game, that’s a simple indicator they were better than us 2018.

Onwards and upwards.

As a professional sporting club you can't not rewatch the entire thing to analyse what worked/what didn't.
Independent of the final result, the Pies did in fact play a great game of football that should be picked apart to see how that can be used this season. Likewise, the way such a great style of footy was picked apart in critical moments should be religiously worked upon to plug up the holes.

That second quarter is what cost us in the end IMO.

We dominated possession in our forward half for large periods and had numerous half chances that we failed to turn into goals because we just couldn't win any clear possession at ground level. It didn't help that Cox was a complete non factor in the air till this point also.

Begrudgingly you have to give credit to the West Coast defenders who stood up under immense pressure during this period (as did our own).

In 41 years this lost premiership opportunity will still s**t me.

Is that we played some outstanding footy in that GF... there were huge highlights for us, amazing pieces of play and moments pf which we should be proud, and be able to look back on, and to get fired up about next season...

... and yet I will never, ever watch that game again. Such a waste.

Stevo’s first goal.
Varcs’ first goal.
De Goey’s don’t argue and goal.
Cox’s second half (USA! USA!)
WHE’s sprint and dive for the mark.
De Goey’s bomb from outside 50m.
Mihocek’s goal in the last.

*This is aside, of course from the fact we missed the chance to go to 16 flags and the undisputed most successful VFL/AFL club ever...
You'll be watching it in about 9 and a half months time because this game will be erased and looked back upon with good fondness instead of heartache. Like De Goey's goals, Varcoe's opener and Mihocek's snap.

*This is aside, of course from the fact we missed the chance to go to 16 flags and the undisputed most successful VFL/AFL club ever ''

Not the right opponent for that to happen mate. The football God's didn't want West Coast as the team to be the 16th notch. They want it to be against Arch Rival, one that will be a, dare I say it........sweet 16. Melbourne:cool:

Your boys are going all the way in 2019.

That second quarter is what cost us in the end IMO.

We dominated possession in our forward half for large periods and had numerous half chances that we failed to turn into goals because we just couldn't win any clear possession at ground level. It didn't help that Cox was a complete non factor in the air till this point also.

Begrudgingly you have to give credit to the West Coast defenders who stood up under immense pressure during this period (as did our own).

In 41 years this lost premiership opportunity will still s**t me.
Re Cox - they were tunnelling and blocking him shamelessly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They couldn’t pay me enough to do this.
I feel for every player having to be subject to the review.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-14/we-cant-just-wipe-it-pies-pendlebury-learn-from-gf-review

I will never watch that game again, and have only watched the "highlights" once, which I stopped 3/4 of the way through.

But the team would be negligent if they didn't watch it. There are some very clear reasons why we lost that game (and some things we did very well), and the players and coaching staff have to learn from that if we want to come improving in 2019. The players will also need to learn from the heartache, and I'm sure can approach it in a much more mature way than us fans.

That’s pretty much it.

We just gutsed it out.

We played Eagles 3 times in 2018 and lost each game, that’s a simple indicator they were better than us 2018.

Onwards and upwards.

For a team that had zero finals experience and majority of players without any finals games at all, was a pretty good first finals campaign!
On the back of that alone, onwards and upwards indeed.

Last edited:
I'm confused.
Norm Smith 2002.
Brownlow 2003 i.e, no suspension.
THats alright, confusion happens when you get old,
Saying that l don’t remember it either, well it did not happen anyway

Exactly; Pods had already gone off. For some reason in GFs, other teams losing players actually hurts us. The same thing happened in 2010 when Gardiner went down for the Saints. Koschitzke went into the ruck and the Saints nearly snatched it.

It was almost standard operating procedure under MM, that when the opposition lost a tall we would struggle. First game against St Kilda in 2010 when Riewoldt went down with that hammy we were outplayed completely.

I can't watch any of the GFs that we've lost back, don't have the stomach for it. I can cop this one, they were the better team on the day imo. But the 2011 premiership was the one that burns me the most. To this day I remember when Pods went off, I turned to my old man and said "I think we're in trouble". So many mistakes leading into that game and during the match itself. It's such a shame that one of the most statistically dominant sides in history was not rewarded with a flag.

Think I may have mentioned that all my medicos and dentist all barrack for the Pies but I had forgotten that my Financial Adviser does too.

Just received an update from him and he had this PS at the bottom...

PS: Magpies in 2019. I don’t like saying it,(for fear of jinxing), but if they can play that menacing, hard tackling, frantic style footy this year and avoid season-ending injuries, I’m staying glass-half-full on that. I think we’ll need the big Yank to fire again, and the return of the Prodigal Son from Brisbane – help or hinder? Let’s see. I couldn’t bring myself to watch that GF again, not even the good bits.

Sadly I too have not watched and don't think I ever will yet still can't bring myself to delete it.

I recommend the delete button for any recording of the GF. Why keep something that causes so much pain? You could always track down a copy of the vile thing, if you’re hell bent on revisiting the agony.

Different for the club - it’s their job to analyse the game and take ‘learnings’ from it, blah blah blah. But not me.

I much prefer the Prelim:) Watched it several times now. It’s like a tonic. Joyful. A game for the ages. Can’t take my eyes off it.

I recommend the delete button for any recording of the GF. Why keep something that causes so much pain? You could always track down a copy of the vile thing, if you’re hell bent on revisiting the agony.

Different for the club - it’s their job to analyse the game and take ‘learnings’ from it, blah blah blah. But not me.

I much prefer the Prelim:) Watched it several times now. It’s like a tonic. Joyful. A game for the ages. Can’t take my eyes off it.
Let’s hope that your theory doesn’t apply to Grand Final 2019.

Let’s hope it’s a tonic and feast for our eyes.

(otherwise delete)

Just watched the highlights of the Richmond prelim. Bloody good first half in particular. Made me warm and fuzzy to hear the crowd going berserk, but then it’s always met by that feeling of sadness that we couldn’t quite get there the week after, and now we start at the bottom of the mountain again in 2019.

GFs are so bloody hard to make. Surely our injury rate regresses to the mean this year?

I need the season to start yesterday, this AFLX nonsense is just another way to get injured for what amounts to little more than a drinking game.

Azure kingfisher
staring at the water, blinks -
the old river, gone.
Coach Nathan Buckley,
Develops new strategies,
Grand Final flag won.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back