41 days on, and do you know what sh!#$ me?!*

Remove this Banner Ad

Just reading this thread, after months away, makes me want it SOOOO bad. I am a stone, but I could cry right now.

I dreamed we were beating the Crows in Adelaide the other night. More premonitions. I want results.

Please just go one better you blokes. To vanquish the anguish and trauma from THAT day.

Floreat Pica.

Watched the prelim for the first time on video the other day. We absolutely brutalised them in the first half with physical and scoreboard pressure. They were always going to come back, hence I was too nervous to enjoy the PF properly live, but on replay we controlled the match in the second half. Picked up a few different things on video too for example it was the best I’ve seen Pendlebury tackle and the Prance arm waves after getting beaten weren’t as obvious at the ground. A shame the prelim will end up being somewhat forgotten in light of the GF.

What was also obvious after rewatching the prelim is just how much the eagles were able stifle our structure/style and play the GF on their terms after quarter time. One example that comes to mind is how well we were able to clear the footy and restrict opposition forward 50 entries in the prelim, which was a stark contrast to the latter stages of the grand final. In a lot of ways our determination to get that close and hang on for so long in the face of that adversary created by a good opponent was really strong. Looking back I think the performance of both sides on grand final day has been undersold.

It almost has me contemplating watching a replay of the GF. Almost...

Last edited:
5 goals to nil to start the first.

First 2 goals of the final quarter.

Only Collingwood could lose from those 2 scenarios combined.

Fair to say I'm experiencing one of my random moments of anger about that day right now.
Lol THAT is quite evident swoop - relax man - we really should never have made it that far.

5 goals to nil to start the first.

First 2 goals of the final quarter.

Only Collingwood could lose from those 2 scenarios combined.

Fair to say I'm experiencing one of my random moments of anger about that day right now.
Nah. This Collingwood side were great, overachieved, yet still are a champion side. Rebounded after a hard fought, potentially soul crushing loss in Perth to withstand a finals hardened and ready GWS outfit. Beat the reigning premiers the week after in one of the biggest upsets our game has seen. Barely lost the Grand Final. Don't forget WCE missed a lot of opportunities in the last quarter.

Collingwood were immense. But WCE deserved it a shade more. You shouldn't feel aggrieved.

Watched the prelim for the first time on video the other day. We absolutely brutalised them in the first half with physical and scoreboard pressure. They were always going to come back, hence I was too nervous to enjoy the PF properly live, but on replay we controlled the match in the second half. Picked up a few different things on video too for example it was the best I’ve seen Pendlebury tackle and the Prance arm waves after getting beaten weren’t as obvious at the ground. A shame the prelim will end up being somewhat forgotten in light of the GF.

What was also obvious after rewatching the prelim is just how much the eagles were able stifle our structure/style and play the GF on their terms after quarter time. One example that comes to mind is how well we were able to clear the footy and restrict opposition forward 50 entries in the prelim, which was a stark contrast to the latter stages of the grand final. In a lot of ways our determination to get that close and hang on for so long in the face of that adversary created by a good opponent was really strong. Looking back I think the performance of both sides on grand final day has been undersold.

It almost has me contemplating watching a replay of the GF. Almost...
Good post.

Both you and them had massive fight and resolve that day. Heavyweight, titanic tussle. The river dam walls would have broke a lot earlier if anyone else was in their shoes.

Champion Sides.

You know what's been pissing me off? Being forced to watch constant replays/highlights of Dom Sheed's kick. It's in every bit of coverage this time of year, and will resurface for every G.F for the foreseeable future, even if neither Collingwood or West Coast are playing. The new "Leo Barry, you star!" moment. Argh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno how you did it. You are a braver man than me.
I've always found it cathartic - this is the longest I've gone without watching a loss.
I'm glad I did it - gee we were good.

You know what's been pissing me off? Being forced to watch constant replays/highlights of Dom Sheed's kick. It's in every bit of coverage this time of year, and will resurface for every G.F for the foreseeable future, even if neither Collingwood or West Coast are playing. The new "Leo Barry, you star!" moment. Argh.
It's bloody horrible. Literally turn off the TV every time.
My theory is that if we're to win a Flag with this group, that moment won't mean a thing to us - just like "Leo Barry, you star!" doesn't mean much to WC once they won the year after.

Will beat Richmond on Thursday. Ferocious crowd, Pies tackling will be Kamikaze.

This one still hurts the most out of all the flags we lost I still can't watch this one.

To me the things that hurt are the way we lost, and who we lost to (as a west aussie, and with a brother, an eagles member, who was able to get tickets and go) - it is painful and I won't ever watch it again.
BUT - I never expected us to make that GF, and I never really thought we could beat the Eagles. We had been average against top 8 sides all year (really except for the prelim) and they had already beat us twice, including 3 weeks earlier by exposing the same weaknesses that came undone in the last 3Q's.
I put this alongside '02 and '03. We were punching well above our weight to even make it to those grannies.

In the long run though, this will never compare to 2011. We had one of the most dominant 18 months of football that you will ever see, and although Geelong were a historically great team over a long period, and had our measure that season, we were outplayed and outcoached on the day, and not only did we go in with an injured KPD (something we famously made the decision to avoid the year earlier), which may have been tolerable given lack of alternative, we did not respond when they lost Pods for the day, or when Hawkins started to dominate. Ego lost us that game. That team deserved more than 1 flag - that one still really hurts.

This one still hurts the most out of all the flags we lost I
To me the things that hurt are the way we lost, and who we lost to (as a west aussie, and with a brother, an eagles member, who was able to get tickets and go) - it is painful and I won't ever watch it again.
BUT - I never expected us to make that GF, and I never really thought we could beat the Eagles. We had been average against top 8 sides all year (really except for the prelim) and they had already beat us twice, including 3 weeks earlier by exposing the same weaknesses that came undone in the last 3Q's.
I put this alongside '02 and '03. We were punching well above our weight to even make it to those grannies.

In the long run though, this will never compare to 2011. We had one of the most dominant 18 months of football that you will ever see, and although Geelong were a historically great team over a long period, and had our measure that season, we were outplayed and outcoached on the day, and not only did we go in with an injured KPD (something we famously made the decision to avoid the year earlier), which may have been tolerable given lack of alternative, we did not respond when they lost Pods for the day, or when Hawkins started to dominate. Ego lost us that game. That team deserved more than 1 flag - that one still really hurts.

That's what hurts the most you had two teams in previous years pinch a flag it was our turn.

It's Zaharikis all over again. Pretty sure that guy hasn't done anything in his career since that one goal.

Will beat Richmond on Thursday. Ferocious crowd, Pies tackling will be Kamikaze.
Told you. I know your team better than you do. You guys played well last week and would and should have beaten us if not for poor skill execution. Should smash the Eagles next week. I'm not 100 percent on that, as of course you can lose. Sheed will pop up again and gather a lot of disposals. If you do win and I expect you will, it will be another blood bath.

Regardless of the outcome next week, you'll win the Premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back