Past #41: Gordon Narrier - won't be offered a new contract - thanks for your efforts Flash

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The below are averages of the high impact, high speed types in the AFL:

Charlie Camero: 13d 4.3t 1.2g (Traded for pick #12 2017)
Eddie Betts: 13d 3.3t 2.3g (All-Australian 2017)
Daniel Rioli: 11d 3.4t 1.0g
Anthony McDonald-T: 13d 3.6t 1.5g
Cyril: 13d 6t 2.2g (All-Australian 2016 stats)

Whats pretty evident is, if he can just maintain that 13-15 possession average, but develop his defensive side and average around a goal a game, if you have elite speed, it can make you an elite impact player in the league.

The numbers above certainly aren't unachievable, just need the 3+ tackles a game. I think he will find it easier getting the ball at AFL level than at VFL/WAFL level. His game is absolutely made for that over the back rebounding play.

What I really like is that he's played a lot of footy up the ground off the wing, usually you have to try and convert a forward pocket and push them up the ground, ala Betts.

I'd love to see him used consistently off the back of the square in the VFL at center bounces, how Adelaide used Cameron in 2017. We don't have anyone capable of that at AFL level and it's a real weapon.

He actually reminds me of Andrew Lovett, but he's even taller, 6"2 makes him really unique.

Betts, Rioli x 2 and Tippa are all in the 170's. He's almost 4" taller than most of them.

I was racking my brain with whose running/kicking style he reminded me of and thats exactly who I was thinking of. He has a real upright running style like Lovett. His height is well and truly a point of difference. Going to be interesting to see if he can find the footy a bit more after a full pre-season.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's a better choice than some endurance machine that has little impact.

I applaud the clubs recent shift in drafting.
DPxJYA5U8AEPVVo.jpg

czero

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's a better choice than some endurance machine that has little impact.

I applaud the clubs recent shift in drafting.
I agree, I'd much rather see our young guys show some real skills and build into the body. Just so long as they have pace though - you can improve the engine drastically just with hard work, its much much harder to reduce your sprint and spring times.

He's a rookie and all, but a lot of that package reminded me of wells - not expecting him to be wells, but still. His kicking on the run, his running motion, really nice to look at.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Sorry if its been said already as I haven't read all the thread but surely he's already called "Flash"......flash Gordon, ....aaahhhhaaaaa saviour of the universe!

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You guys have got a beauty here from my WAFL club Perth. I've been saying to people all year remember the name Gordon Narrier. This kid has balance and poise, silky one touch skill set and if you are a forward you will be licking your lips when he's got the ball in his hands streaming forward. And at 187cm he's got a real nice height about him. He can do some damage and I'm going to be watching his career and cheering him on.

Do you think he should have been picked up in the national draft as opposed to the rookie draft?

Back