Player Watch #2 Hayden McLean - re-signed end 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

bKHqmfVe.jpg

Hayden McLean

Player Profile

Pre-season supplementary list rules allowed the Sydney Swans to sign Hayden McLean in March 2019, and while injury ruled out the key-position player for seven of the first 10 NEAFL games of the season, he’d respond in commanding fashion. The former Sandringham Dragons skipper made his AFL debut as Sydney met Fremantle in Round 18, 2019, which saw him battle imposing ruck trio Aaron Sandilands, Sean Darcy and Rory Lobb, as well as a parochial Optus Stadium crowd. Coach John Longmire praised McLean’s debut performance and he finished the season with four AFL games beside his name. The 197-centimetre, 93-kilogram giant is chasing consistent AFL selection in 2020. Draft history: 2019 pre-season supplementary rookie selection

Hayden McLean

DOB:20 January 1999
DRAFT:2018
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/St Bede's Coll (Vic)/ Sand U18/Sand (VFL)

Last edited:

He's been described as a developing key position player. So maybe he may be pushed down back or as a utility? Pure speculation of course

He's been described as a developing key position player. So maybe he may be pushed down back or as a utility? Pure speculation of course

There's no way McLean could come in and develop as a key defender in his first season. Maibaum is out for this year. We wouldn't have made this move unless we wanted someone who could replace him pretty quickly. To me that is Pink, who showed some promising signs in the JLT game we saw of him, and who at least has two seasons worth of knowledge under his belt to help him develop as a defender a little quicker, as opposed to McLean who may be a raw prospect if tried in a new role.

So what is McLean? All I know is his age, height, and that he is a key position/ruck-ish sort of player, which given his height pretty much goes without saying. Anyone know his strengths and weaknesses?

If I were to define him on his junior years (used to watch him every few weeks but haven't seen him in the last year and a half), I would actually say not unlike Mumford, but without being a thug and not what I'd call an artful tap ruck either. More the way he goes about it. Not afraid to throw his body around and do the one percenters you don't usually see from big boys, but he'll never be pretty to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I were to define him on his junior years (used to watch him every few weeks but haven't seen him in the last year and a half), I would actually say not unlike Mumford, but without being a thug and not what I'd call an artful tap ruck either. More the way he goes about it. Not afraid to throw his body around and do the one percenters you don't usually see from big boys, but he'll never be pretty to watch.

I am fine with drafting a dump truck over a Ferrari. The dump truck has its place.

Good pick up. Watched him plenty at Sandy and was hoping we'd get him. Will take awhile to develop but has the tools and love his aggression for a young fella.

caeser compared him to Mumford, I've only watched highlights but was thinking Nankervis

At around the 1.50minute mark of the video the kid performs that rarest of feats in footy nowadays - the blind turn! Good on him.

He is a hulking unit and from the video has a strong physical presence. I can see why people were likening him to Mumford and Nankervis.

There's no way McLean could come in and develop as a key defender in his first season. Maibaum is out for this year. We wouldn't have made this move unless we wanted someone who could replace him pretty quickly. To me that is Pink, who showed some promising signs in the JLT game we saw of him, and who at least has two seasons worth of knowledge under his belt to help him develop as a defender a little quicker, as opposed to McLean who may be a raw prospect if tried in a new role.
I agree. I was just trying to think how they would use McLean in the future as he developed.

Should be a smart pickup. Tap work looks solid and seems to have some grunt which you can always use around the contest. Strong overhead mark around the ground would be a valuable asset for us too.

Although we lost Maibaum, defense is probably the area where we are quite strong in depth so makes sense to add a tall forward/ruck where our stocks are shorter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back