Player Watch #2 Hayden McLean - re-signed end 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

bKHqmfVe.jpg

Hayden McLean

Player Profile

Pre-season supplementary list rules allowed the Sydney Swans to sign Hayden McLean in March 2019, and while injury ruled out the key-position player for seven of the first 10 NEAFL games of the season, he’d respond in commanding fashion. The former Sandringham Dragons skipper made his AFL debut as Sydney met Fremantle in Round 18, 2019, which saw him battle imposing ruck trio Aaron Sandilands, Sean Darcy and Rory Lobb, as well as a parochial Optus Stadium crowd. Coach John Longmire praised McLean’s debut performance and he finished the season with four AFL games beside his name. The 197-centimetre, 93-kilogram giant is chasing consistent AFL selection in 2020. Draft history: 2019 pre-season supplementary rookie selection

Hayden McLean

DOB:20 January 1999
DRAFT:2018
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/St Bede's Coll (Vic)/ Sand U18/Sand (VFL)

Last edited:

caeser compared him to Mumford, I've only watched highlights but was thinking Nankervis

On his draft video looks to get around like Kruez - but I'll settle for a combination of all three. :p
I've thought we needed a big'un down back and he'll go nicely into the NEAFL team this year and lets see how he goes.

Highlight videos are just that - highlights. Deficits are not shown. Still it seems he has footy smarts and for a big bloke handles the ball well, including below his knees.

I want to see the AFL bring out a 3 minute lowlights package of every single major player in the AFL every year. Make the best players in the AFL look like they have no idea what they are doing.

Highlight videos are just that - highlights. Deficits are not shown. Still it seems he has footy smarts and for a big bloke handles the ball well, including below his knees.

Isn't that all watching footy is though? Highlights? You could find an extensive package of lowlights on pretty much every bloke whose ever played AFL. You watch JPK or Pendles or Fyfe or Martin for the things they do well. No one is out there with a notepad and a tape recorder searching and waiting for their stuff-ups.

I've never understood the 'highlights are just highlights' argument. If you want someone on your list, it's because of what they will do well, not what they will do poorly, so highlights are actually very relevant and very telling IMO.

I want to see the AFL bring out a 3 minute lowlights package of every single major player in the AFL every year. Make the best players in the AFL look like they have no idea what they are doing.

I expect a Cripps lowlight real would show he is really 168cms

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love that. Something like Steph "worst player in the NBA" Curry

Isn't that all watching footy is though? Highlights? You could find an extensive package of lowlights on pretty much every bloke whose ever played AFL. You watch JPK or Pendles or Fyfe or Martin for the things they do well. No one is out there with a notepad and a tape recorder searching and waiting for their stuff-ups.

I've never understood the 'highlights are just highlights' argument. If you want someone on your list, it's because of what they will do well, not what they will do poorly, so highlights are actually very relevant and very telling IMO.

Moreso that highlights are what they could do, but not necessarily what they do do. There's can be a bit of dishonesty regarding who they actually are as player in highlight videos by filtering out the noise in between.

Gary Rohan would have a great highlights video for example. We have all seen what he could do, but he often didn't.

Moreso that highlights are what they could do, but not necessarily what they do do. There's can be a bit of dishonesty regarding who they actually are as player in highlight videos by filtering out the noise in between.

Gary Rohan would have a great highlights video for example. We have all seen what he could do, but he often didn't.

Well that's the thing then, highlights demonstrate capacity, but not consistency. They come to the club with capacity, and it's up to the club to bring out the consistency in them. In some cases, the club is successful. In most cases, they are not. But as far as highlights go, I believe they show the player we have to work with. After that, it's just a waiting game to see what the club can do.

(In some cases the player is just beyond the club's help. Exhibit A: James Rose.)

Well that's the thing then, highlights demonstrate capacity, but not consistency. They come to the club with capacity, and it's up to the club to bring out the consistency in them. In some cases, the club is successful. In most cases, they are not. But as far as highlights go, I believe they show the player we have to work with. After that, it's just a waiting game to see what the club can do.

(In some cases the player is just beyond the club's help. Exhibit A: James Rose.)

I hold the faintest flicker of hope for Rose. Last year in the NEAFL he showed terrific defensive intent. He possesses good skills. Who knows, he could surprise us all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back