Player Watch #2 Hayden McLean - re-signed end 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

bKHqmfVe.jpg

Hayden McLean

Player Profile

Pre-season supplementary list rules allowed the Sydney Swans to sign Hayden McLean in March 2019, and while injury ruled out the key-position player for seven of the first 10 NEAFL games of the season, he’d respond in commanding fashion. The former Sandringham Dragons skipper made his AFL debut as Sydney met Fremantle in Round 18, 2019, which saw him battle imposing ruck trio Aaron Sandilands, Sean Darcy and Rory Lobb, as well as a parochial Optus Stadium crowd. Coach John Longmire praised McLean’s debut performance and he finished the season with four AFL games beside his name. The 197-centimetre, 93-kilogram giant is chasing consistent AFL selection in 2020. Draft history: 2019 pre-season supplementary rookie selection

Hayden McLean

DOB:20 January 1999
DRAFT:2018
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/St Bede's Coll (Vic)/ Sand U18/Sand (VFL)

Last edited:
I swear pre-Max Gawn there was never such an obsession with hitouts to advantage. It was almost the norm for teams to just accept an average tap and just hope for one who tried his guts out. But now we have seen what’s out there...

Oh I think it’s always been important, but in the modern era they have just increased the statistical analysis with champion data and now have more labels for more things to compare players statistically.

That’s probably why it has been spoken about more, the statistic itself probably wasn’t recorded in the past.

What about him?
Okay... fair enough, perhaps I'm wrong. I seem to remember him as being an effective tap ruck who gave us first use regularly...

But this could be one of those embarrassing moments when you find your memory has adjusted reality to suit wishes... :oops:

Oh I think it’s always been important, but in the modern era they have just increased the statistical analysis with champion data and now have more labels for more things to compare players statistically.

That’s probably why it has been spoken about more, the statistic itself probably wasn’t recorded in the past.
I was referring more to our supporters specifically. You’d swear this is the first time in our history we’ve had an average tap ruck! I actually can’t remember a time we didn’t have an average tap ruck... maybe Jolly? I know the 6-6-6 rule has placed greater emphasis on winning it out of the centre but crikey only three clubs in the comp have a really dominant tap ruck so it’s not like we’re being left behind or anything. Don’t quite get the panic.

Side note - can I ask that you please don’t mention the CD mob. I just had breakfast and I don’t fancy it coming back up.

Okay... fair enough, perhaps I'm wrong. I seem to remember him as being an effective tap ruck who gave us first use regularly...

But this could be one of those embarrassing moments when you find your memory has adjusted reality to suit wishes... :oops:

I thought he went OK from memory, then again I was young when he was our ruck and my only experiences seeing him in person was when he came up against the GOAT at Subiaco. So, my recollection of Ball may be compromised too!

Thanks. So he is basically a ruckman.

Basically an under sized ruckman yep.

Hayden McLean
Height:
196cm
Weight: 93kg
DOB: 20/1/1999
Club: Sandringham

McLean was training with St Kilda in the lead up to the Draft. At 196cm, McLean plays predominantly as a tall forward but he can go into the ruck and pinch-hit when needed. Still only 19, McLean uses his body effectively in marking contests and he has a strong set of hands. Melbourne is another club that is reportedly interested in him after they delisted Mitch King and Lachlan Filipovic.

My friend who was at the praccy match today texted me and said “Gawn to Oliver is so 2018, make way for McLean to Rowbottom”

All jokes aside McLean has a crack here at becoming third in line for a ruck opening with Cameron’s injury woes recently. Do I think he’ll be seeing much senior footy this year if at all, no. But footy has a weird way of working in that you can find an opportunity in your lap that 7 days ago wasn’t even a possibility. I wonder if Cameron’s injury is worse than the club is letting on and McLean is actually Darcy’s replacement, not Maibaum’s?

My friend who was at the praccy match today texted me and said “Gawn to Oliver is so 2018, make way for McLean to Rowbottom”

All jokes aside McLean has a crack here at becoming third in line for a ruck opening with Cameron’s injury woes recently. Do I think he’ll be seeing much senior footy this year if at all, no. But footy has a weird way of working in that you can find an opportunity in your lap that 7 days ago wasn’t even a possibility. I wonder if Cameron’s injury is worse than the club is letting on and McLean is actually Darcy’s replacement, not Maibaum’s?
Great post and good to hear your mate gone down to the game.

But re Cameron - why bother with smoke and mirrors with a bloke who has barely played and nobody outside of the most hard-core swans fans has ever even heard of. Seems like an unnecessary ruse.

But re Cameron - why bother with smoke and mirrors with a bloke who has barely played and nobody outside of the most hard-core swans fans has ever even heard of. Seems like an unnecessary ruse.

He lives right near Henson so I'd have given it to him if he didn't go!

I don't necessarily think it's a ruse with Cameron. I think they just haven't bothered updating us precisely because he's a fairly anonymous Swan. But it wouldn't surprise me if we find out down the track that Cameron is out for a substantial chunk of time. And if you think about it that would make McLean's recruitment that much more logical. Ideally we want the order to be Naismith > Sinclair > Cameron. If one of the first two went down, I doubt we'd wanna be making Aliir the permanent replacement for one of them. McLean is basically just a shorter version of Cameron in every way really, but IMO has more of a crack.

Two words: Toby Pink

I was at the practice game too. McLean had been in Sydney 3 days, hadn't met most of his teammates, had no idea about our game plan BUT had a real crack for FOUR quarters. Reckon the coaches would have been thrilled. Looks to have decent skills and a hard body.
Cameron looks to be the better ruck at NEAFL level but too slow/indecisive at AFL.
Not sure McLean will get a run in seniors but IMO looks a decent pickup as a forward/ruck.
Good luck to him.

I was at the practice game too. McLean had been in Sydney 3 days, hadn't met most of his teammates, had no idea about our game plan BUT had a real crack for FOUR quarters. Reckon the coaches would have been thrilled. Looks to have decent skills and a hard body.
Cameron looks to be the better ruck at NEAFL level but too slow/indecisive at AFL.
Not sure McLean will get a run in seniors but IMO looks a decent pickup as a forward/ruck.
Good luck to him.

Yeah I heard his effort on the weekend was impressive but that didn't surprise me. I must have seen him play about 20 games of footy over his junior years and there was a constant buzz from the sidelines about how he gave his all every time. It's the one thing that always stood out and made me remember him when he came up as a potential draftee. A pretty good type to have on your list for a bargain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hayden looked good in the NEAFL last weekend in Darwin.

A knee injury has limited the 20-year-old to just seven of a possible 13 games, but he was superb in Saturday’s 47-point win over the Southport Sharks at Blacktown International Sportspark.
McLean, who left the SANFL for the Swans as a pre-season recruit in March, snared a match-high three goals and collected eight marks as Sydney cruised to back-to-back wins.
“I think it’s my best game at the Swans so far. I had a bit of time out with a knee injury so it’s good to be back and finding some form,” McLean told SwansTV.

Enjoy yourself Hayden for your debut.
All the best :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back