Player Watch #2 Hayden McLean - re-signed end 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

bKHqmfVe.jpg

Hayden McLean

Player Profile

Pre-season supplementary list rules allowed the Sydney Swans to sign Hayden McLean in March 2019, and while injury ruled out the key-position player for seven of the first 10 NEAFL games of the season, he’d respond in commanding fashion. The former Sandringham Dragons skipper made his AFL debut as Sydney met Fremantle in Round 18, 2019, which saw him battle imposing ruck trio Aaron Sandilands, Sean Darcy and Rory Lobb, as well as a parochial Optus Stadium crowd. Coach John Longmire praised McLean’s debut performance and he finished the season with four AFL games beside his name. The 197-centimetre, 93-kilogram giant is chasing consistent AFL selection in 2020. Draft history: 2019 pre-season supplementary rookie selection

Hayden McLean

DOB:20 January 1999
DRAFT:2018
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/St Bede's Coll (Vic)/ Sand U18/Sand (VFL)

Last edited:
Do you think they are grooming him for the same role?
I don't see him ever being capable of being a dominant key forward target (although a handy 2nd / 3rd target). I'd actually really like him to be able to fill multiple roles around the ground, there is always a spot for a 197cm player who can take strong marks and contest well. If he could improve his off-the-ball positioning and intercept marking I think he could be a real contributor for us

Keen to see this young fella in action this year.

Keen to see this young fella in action this year.

You get two things from this bloke-
1. He will leave nothing on the table in his efforts to improve
2. He is just fundamentally team oriented and has everyone's back.

You get two things from this bloke-
1. He will leave nothing on the table in his efforts to improve
2. He is just fundamentally team oriented and has everyone's back.

Completely agree Horace. I would go so far as to say he's the most selfless player on our list, almost to a fault. He seems to be a particularly big fan of the quick handball over the top to the free player in the goal square. Very admirable and I'm sure the coaches take notice and love those kinds of things. But great players don't become great players by giving their opportunities to teammates. Buddy Franklin often tries to bring teammates into the game, but if he's got the ball within 25-30 metres of goal on a reasonable angle, he ain't giving that opportunity up.

McLean doesn't even have to be a great player, and to be honest, is unlikely to be. He just needs to become a regular in the team and secure his spot, and as harsh as it can be, sometimes having a few goals and one assist rather than one goal and a few assists can be the difference between getting a spot each week and being the "depth forward".

And he smiles a lot:)

I know Brereton is a pain but he is an unabashed fan. Coached him in junior years, says he was not the most talented but had high footy IQ and he was a lovely young man.

I know Brereton is a pain but he is an unabashed fan. Coached him in junior years, says he was not the most talented but had high footy IQ and he was a lovely young man.
Yeah. Brereton waxes lyrically about him but it does seem justified.
Not a negative vibe about him.
He has class as a person even as a workman like forward. I like him.

Big Dos needs a bump.

Still can't understand why no one touched him in 2017.

Big lump of a bugger who kicks goals.

He doesn't play a jizzable style of footy.
Well not one that the media wet themselves over.

Big Dos needs a bump.

Still can't understand why no one touched him in 2017.

Big lump of a bugger who kicks goals.

He doesn't play a jizzable style of footy.
Well not one that the media wet themselves over.
Beat me to the punch.

Growing very nicely into the forward & backup ruck role. Works hard all over the ground.

Clearly taking over Reid's role in the team. Usually an excellent shot for goal and I just feel he's going to turn into a really reliable player for us.

Beat me to the punch.

Growing very nicely into the forward & backup ruck role. Works hard all over the ground.

Clearly taking over Reid's role in the team. Usually an excellent shot for goal and I just feel he's going to turn into a really reliable player for us.

He's definitely taken over Reid.

It's McLean's position now and Reid has to work hard to regain it.

He played well last week and did likewise Friday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's definitely taken over Reid.

It's McLean's position now and Reid has to work hard to regain it.

He played well last week and did likewise Friday night.
And you're right. He's not going to be flashy enough to grab the media's eye, but we know what he does and he's playing the role perfectly.

Just love that McLean is in this team on his own merits now. He's always been the kind of loveable "fill-in" guy. Always does an admirable job when he's needed in lieu of a superior option. Now he's in the team not because of injuries, or because he's been called on so Buddy can have a week's rest, but because he genuinely suits the way we play and makes our forward line better.

Totally earned his spot. Very happy for him and hope he keeps it up.

Wouldn't be surprised if McLean asks for a trade now that Buddy has resigned for 2023. He seems like a loyal guy with a real strength of character so might stay on to fight for his place in the 22 next year but with Amartey the seemingly preferred replacement for Reid/McDonald it would probably be a wise career move to look for more opportunities elsewhere.

Wouldn't be surprised if McLean asks for a trade now that Buddy has resigned for 2023. He seems like a loyal guy with a real strength of character so might stay on to fight for his place in the 22 next year but with Amartey the seemingly preferred replacement for Reid/McDonald it would probably be a wise career move to look for more opportunities elsewhere.
McLean was the emergancy over Amatrey for the past few weeks

Amarty and McLean both developing nicely.
Reid and buddy will be managed or have injuries next year. Mcdonald might be out of form.
They're both contracted till the end of next year and we should keep both and see what develops

Amarty and McLean both developing nicely.
Reid and buddy will be managed or have injuries next year. Mcdonald might be out of form.
They're both contracted till the end of next year and we should keep both and see what develops
Yep. Both Reid and Buddy will retire next year. There’s 2 vacant spots.

Congrats on Hayden's first GF!
Still a young bloke and constantly improving. Kicked a couple of bags late in the VFl season and has noticeably improved his defensive work.
Not the only player to be having his first GF day by any means, but i doubt he;d be expecting to be i the team a week back
Maybe the force be with you on GF day

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back