Delisted #41 Lachlan Rankin

Remove this Banner Ad

Data up to end of 2017, season. I believe.

1d85ee3db91aa95156f10628f0ca3f9a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Thankfully greatness can't really be measured by stats.

You don't judge players like Ablett, Buddy, Martin, Rankin, Goodes, Lockett, Carey etc. on stats.

I mean, you sort of do?

If Ablett averaged 8 disposals and 0.1 a game would he still be considered one of the best because of the "the vibe"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Data up to end of 2017, season. I believe.

1d85ee3db91aa95156f10628f0ca3f9a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I'm not sure where you got this from, but thanks!

I wonder if it's possible to get that stat broken down into clubs and decades? I'd be interested to see how that pans out...

Thankfully greatness can't really be measured by stats.

You don't judge players like Ablett, Buddy, Martin, Rankin, Goodes, Lockett, Carey etc. on stats.
This is true... but there are very few of them, and loads and loads of others!

It's interesting... would mind seeing it for individual clubs, and/or seeing it decade by decade to see if and how it fluctuates...

Saw a bit of footage of Buddy and Rankin at training, great to see. What a surreal feeling it must be to be sharing a track with the champion. Buddy must've been so star-struck.

Imagine how he feels sending me text messages to renew my membership.

Might only be me but IMO I think this kid will be a very good hbf

I reckon he will surprise a few and play a few next year amd have a similar track to jmac

I have been a jmac fan since the start so not saying he will be as good

Reckon he is a ripper

Play more games for the club than Stephens but the end I’m calling

Might only be me but IMO I think this kid will be a very good hbf

I reckon he will surprise a few and play a few next year amd have a similar track to jmac

I have been a jmac fan since the start so not saying he will be as good

Reckon he is a ripper

Play more games for the club than Stephens but the end I’m calling
well he picked past 30, so of course, he'll become the best player from the draft lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So nobody has posted about Lachie here since April. How do we see him? Who's bullish about him? Who isn't?

I'm in the wait and see camp. I thought he had a slow start to the season but improved. Looking forward to seeing what he can do in 2023.

Is he the only draftee from last year that has been extended already? Matty and Corey definitely extended two years each.

So nobody has posted about Lachie here since April. How do we see him? Who's bullish about him? Who isn't?

I'm in the wait and see camp. I thought he had a slow start to the season but improved. Looking forward to seeing what he can do in 2023.

Is he the only draftee from last year that has been extended already? Matty and Corey definitely extended two years each.
Seriously, seriously you want us to answer that question?

As if we want a visit from caesar88

e6fb29503f455c8f722006db57fc6211.jpg

Some quotes from me about Rankin this season;

Rankin needs to learn how to get more of the ball and make himself more dangerous

I was impressed with Rankin's 'intangibles'. For a relatively light guy (listed at 71 kgs) he has a nice aggression and confidence about him and there was a moment (I think 3Q) when Gulden (the elder) got involved in a push and shove with a couple of Richmond players (after the Tigers had kicked a goal) and Rankin intervened to ensure he didn't give away a free kick in our D50 and led Gulden away and talked to him.

Rankin OK, but needs to get more of the ball and for a guy who was talked about for his kicking he does kick a few floaters.

According to the contract list thread he's signed on to the end of 2023.
I wouldn't be extending him anytime soon.
At this stage for me the jury is still out, but it's not looking great for the defendant.

Thanks very much for that. I haven't been following this forum very closely until recently, with the draft, and so I'm not aware what's been said about him (except I've seen passing references that I couldn't interpret in other threads) so I came here to look and found nothing.

I'm feeling lucky so I'll brace myself for some comments from caesar88. Is he the one who seems to like Lachie? Or the opposite?

FWIW, I chatted with Lachie a couple of times early last season and IIRC he said to me that the contested part of the game is not his favourite but it's a non-negotiable with the Swans so he was getting on board.

It was good to see him do well in the 2k this week - pushed Corey all the way.

Thanks very much for that. I haven't been following this forum very closely until recently, with the draft, and so I'm not aware what's been said about him (except I've seen passing references that I couldn't interpret in other threads) so I came here to look and found nothing.

I'm feeling lucky so I'll brace myself for some comments from caesar88. Is he the one who seems to like Lachie? Or the opposite?

FWIW, I chatted with Lachie a couple of times early last season and IIRC he said to me that the contested part of the game is not his favourite but it's a non-negotiable with the Swans so he was getting on board.

I reckon I'm probably no.2 in the fan club (came up with the byline for this thread). I wanted Chesser or Wilmot in that draft, but when we didn't get them, I was disappointed until we did an extra pick than was expected, for Rankin.

I see him, and it fits with how he's been used, as a hybrid small/med defender and half back, maybe longer term on the wing, but we've got most need to develop some small/med actual defenders (though maybe he's got some competition after this draft). So the fact some think he doesn't get enough of the ball doesn't worry me too much, he was a late pick and it was his first year, give him some time. I've found his disposal to be fairly good, some great passing, but he's a kid, he's going to make mistakes. Given we had injuries to COR, Cunningham and when we've had any small/med defenders actually fit they've been often in the senior team, Rankin's been a lone listed hand down there, aside from the KPDs, for some games, though we did send Sheather to help at one point, then he got injured. I've thought he looked like he had some fire, so the contested comment surprises me, but don't think it's something to worry about.

I suspect Vickery may have been brought in to perform the role envisaged for Rankin. Fairly similar. Both "neat" players.
I saw one game this season and I was surprised how solid Rankin is IRL. Seemed very competent but who knows how he performs against the coaches markers.

I suspect Vickery may have been brought in to perform the role envisaged for Rankin. Fairly similar. Both "neat" players.
I saw one game this season and I was surprised how solid Rankin is IRL. Seemed very competent but who knows how he performs against the coaches markers.
I doubt it's a matter of replacing Rankin, but just getting in a few players and hoping at least one or two make it. Particularly the defensive side, where we've had COR leave, Cunningham lose form, and both he and Fox getting on.

I reckon I'm probably no.2 in the fan club (came up with the byline for this thread). I wanted Chesser or Wilmot in that draft, but when we didn't get them, I was disappointed until we did an extra pick than was expected, for Rankin.

No. 2 - after caesar88?

Our taste in last year's draft was very different. I was interested in Wilmot at one stage but not by the time draft night came around. Chesser held no appeal. Conversely I was keen to get both Sheldrick and Roberts - only I imagined them being chosen in reverse order. Couldn't believe Roberts slid to our second pick. For our third pick I was hopeful we would take Arlo Draper (Roberts' good mate) or else Zac Taylor but, even though both were available, we plumped for Corey Warner. So far Corey has outperformed my expectations. I was happy to get Rankin but he certainly wasn't the one I was happiest about - that was (and remains) Sheldrick.

No. 2 - after caesar88?

Our taste in last year's draft was very different. I was interested in Wilmot at one stage but not by the time draft night came around. Chesser held no appeal. Conversely I was keen to get both Sheldrick and Roberts - only I imagined them being chosen in reverse order. Couldn't believe Roberts slid to our second pick. For our third pick I was hopeful we would take Arlo Draper (Roberts' good mate) or else Zac Taylor but, even though both were available, we plumped for Corey Warner. So far Corey has outperformed my expectations. I was happy to get Rankin but he certainly wasn't the one I was happiest about - that was (and remains) Sheldrick.
Corey, like Chad, seems to thrive in the Swans environment. A big and visible improver over the year. Still a twig, but hard.

One of our weaknesses is in covering good small forwards

Lloyd has been central to the game plan but I think he is not a Shutdown. Ollie has been moved down back while Blakey and Fox have each covered smalls. Harry is not up to it nowadays and JMac is more winger.

Rankin has a lot of potential that needs another year of development and that’s ok. If there is not discernible improvement he is at risk of delisting next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back