Delisted 41. Levi Casboult

Blueballs38

Premiership Player
Feb 27, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
He has always been a very popular at the club. Now that his head is fixed and his mental problems with confidence seem to be a thing of the past, his hard work and god given talent are coming to the fore.

I think every blue inked Carlton supporter has a soft spot for Levi .... that is not to say in the dark years we didn’t bemoan his set shots .... we did .... but I don’t think any of us ever questioned his effort or desire.

Honestly, after everything this man has been through, how the hell has he managed to stay on the list this long?
Not only that but for all the ducks to finally line up in a row over the last 18 months?

Me I think it’s serendipity..... he will kick the winning goal in #17 .... or at the very least be a huge part of why we win it.

Go Levi you beautiful blue.

thank you for your grit and determination to prove all those that whipped you wrong.

not to say you didn’t deserve it but more to say thank you for showing us that hard work eventually does pay off. You utterly deserve all things that come to you playing the way you are.

Don’t make me go back through the archives to dig up comments about the big man, been riding this bandwagon for years now.

Happy he has come good as predicted and is now reaping the rewards of his hard work.
Not in your sig block though?

I think Casboult is done. He's a player who has been filling a hole for years until someone comes along and they have. McKay has leapt ahead of him and DeKoning can hold his own. Kerr would be the next backup for the forwardline. All these guys will be AFL ready and ahead of Casboult next season.

He may have a position as backup ruck as we seem to be a little thin there with Phillips being injury prone. Kreuzer and Lobbe are ahead of him in this area though and see durable and I can't say I'm fond of him in that main ruck position.

If I was Casboult I would be looking for another club to take on that contract and perhaps add a year to it because I think his career at Carlton is finished. As I said earlier, this is one of the first signs of improvement where older players are being naturally pushed out.

From a club perspective I don't think we'll offload him for nothing, we would want something we can use, unless we're desperate to make space. I just feel it's going to take multiple injuries to get him a game next season and that is possible but I feel a lot of his football if not all of it will be in the VFL.
Thank goodness you were wrong this time, gb.

Mind you, many were. Credit to Levi, turned it around the best way possible.

What I'm surprised about, is that after last year, a team like Collingwod didn't offer Casboult two years.

No one wanted Levi last year, the year before and the year before that. Their loss and Levi is now ours until he retires. Good on him.
Seems he defied everyone's expectations then. Quite a few (or most?) teams would find him really handy right now.

Seems he defied everyone's expectations then. Quite a few (or most?) teams would find him really handy right now.

He floated himself to the market a couple of years ago, albeit with a hefty price tag/tenure.
No one wanted him and he was forced to accept Carltons 1 year deal.

Even back then, I didn't understand why a team (I was thinking Collingwood) didn't have a look at him. Just didn't make sense.

Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
What I'm surprised about, is that after last year, a team like Collingwod didn't offer Casboult two years.

No one wanted Levi last year, the year before and the year before that. Their loss and Levi is now ours until he retires. Good on him.
Sos and others always praised him as a great clubman. I assume part of it is because he wanted to remain at the blues even if that meant on lower salary or contract length. We know his kicking has let him down in the past but he has improved significantly. Was it all technique ? Or confidence related? Or both?
I’ve always wondered how he would have performed in one of the better functioning teams.

Anyway he is ours till he retires and as our team improves he may keep marking/scoring as he has been this year.

Sos and others always praised him as a great clubman. I assume part of it is because he wanted to remain at the blues even if that meant on lower salary or contract length. We know his kicking has let him down in the past but he has improved significantly. Was it all technique ? Or confidence related? Or both?
I’ve always wondered how he would have performed in one of the better functioning teams.

Anyway he is ours till he retires and as our team improves he may keep marking/scoring as he has been this year.

This is not to knock Casboult, but every week I sort of expect a game that reminds me - 'He isn't the answer'.

Just about every week he proves this wrong.....and this makes me happy. :) Glad he's ours.

Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
This is not to knock Casboult, but every week I sort of expect a game that reminds me - 'He isn't the answer'.

Just about every week he proves this wrong.....and this makes me happy. :) Glad he's ours.
Yeah I think so much to do with confidence. I saw a bit of this against * when he kicked out on the full. He started looking like the ‘bad’ cas for a little while before coming good again.

Have always loved Levi and backed him because the 'context' of his peformances in the past. Always knew that when supported by some decent forward presences other than his own - he would flourish. Like all our players he has also benefitted from a genuine benchmark level of fitness. The fact that he can ply more than effectively in defense and as a second ruck - makes him pretty rare as far as genuine KPP sized players go.

Very happy to see him enjoying the game and playing to high standards - every team needs a couple of contested beasts - who can kick.

Oct 15, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, OKC Thunder
Be very interesting if Charlie was fit atm how we’d fit the 4 big boys in because there’s no way this guy could be dropped. CC to a wing??

My mate quietly walked up and whispered "he’s actually the one Carlton player I’d want kicking this" before he nailed that clutch goal, it’s truly an outrageous transformation the big lug has made...

Oct 15, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, OKC Thunder
Supported him from day one.
Even when he was our whipping boy, not mine, ever.
Blind Freddie could see his potential.
Well done Big Fella, enjoy all the plaudits coming your way, they are richly deserved.
His talent, mainly his hands, were absolutely obvious, I just thought his kicking was a fatal flaw in his game

Never my whipping boy but I certainly didn’t think he’d make it, another instance where I’m loving being wrong - and there are many...

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Thank goodness you were wrong this time, gb.

Mind you, many were. Credit to Levi, turned it around the best way possible.

At the time it was pretty spot on but a credit to himself he has got a lot fitter. Was a few years there where he could not run or move at all. I think Andrew Russell has probably saved his career well and truly here. Playing great footy at the moment and is a very fit man.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

That's the thing I don't get at all. Any team whose KPF are injury prone or are not at an appropriate level could have used him; hell, any team that needs someone to mark long down the line, he was always your man.

I genuinely do not understand why another club didn't offer him more years and slightly better money to get him over. The teams that didn't need him over the last 4 seasons are: West Coast, Richmond, Adelaide and Port. Everyone else doesn't have set KPF's, or could have used him elsewhere; Richmond without Rance could probably use him down back, so you could even knock them off the list.

As you say, their loss is our gain.

Back