Player Watch #41: Mabior Chol - FA to GC

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't be paying him close to $400k.

Honestly if he's been offered 250-300 that's good money for his current output.

If he can't get some mongrel and go to another level then he's just a depth/list-clogging player.
I wouldnt either but as a free agent and wanting him to move that may be the price needed to achieve the move
$50-$100k x 2 / 3 years would be nothing to a club with ample cap space wanting to bring in depth whilst in the window which bombers may think the are

If Chol leaves, the best we could hope for would be a third rounder. The AFL flogs with their secret herbs and spices recipe (gut feel) will look at our draft hand and go nah, we ain't giving the Tigers another second rounder. It won't matter what his deal is imo.

Can't believe North aren't into this bloke. They need another tall to go with Larkey and Zurhaar and realistically, with his mobility, marking and sweet kicking Chol, as a permanent tall forward could kick 30+ goals a year. Perhaps more.

You'd think Collingwood would be into him for the same reason. Essendon and the Suns clearly are. The best thing for us would be a bidding war.

But then, like I said, the AFL.

Last edited:
If Chol leaves, the best we could hope for would be a third rounder. The AFL flogs with their secret herbs and spices recipe (gut feel) will look at our draft hand and go nah, we ain't giving the Tigers another second rounder. It won't matter what his deal is imo.

Can't believe North aren't into this bloke. They need another tall to go with Larkey and Zurhaar and realistically, with his mobility, marking and sweet kicking Chol, as a permanent tall forward could kick 30+ goals a year. Perhaps more.

You'd think Collingwood would be into him for the same reason. Essendon and the Suns clearly are. The best thing for us would be a bidding war.

But then, like I said, the AFL.
Any number of clubs could be into Chol, but why wouldn't you wait to see if he is going to be delisted. Get him for nought. I'm sue his manager has had a few calls. Might be an interesting trade chip as well, i.e might add Chol to get a good player in. The silly season is a fair way off.

Any number of clubs could be into Chol, but why wouldn't you wait to see if he is going to be delisted. Get him for nought. I'm sue his manager has had a few calls. Might be an interesting trade chip as well, i.e might add Chol to get a good player in. The silly season is a fair way off.
He's unrestricted FA mate. Clubs can get him for free already and we can't trade him.

loved this play from Chol... too bad Castagna didn't finish it off

Man....id be worried letting Chol go. I know right now it is too inconsistent but if it clicks for him....far out. Ruckmen simply don't do this. Its BS.
Having Chol in your side right now is like holding 4 cards in a Royal Flush....you know the odds of landing that 5th card are not great but if it falls your way its game over.
You always lose sleep over letting a guy go that then rips you to pieces when he plays you. He is that kind of dude.

Man....id be worried letting Chol go. I know right now it is too inconsistent but if it clicks for him....far out. Ruckmen simply don't do this. Its BS.
Having Chol in your side right now is like holding 4 cards in a Royal Flush....you know the odds of landing that 5th card are not great but if it falls your way its game over.
You always lose sleep over letting a guy go that then rips you to pieces when he plays you. He is that kind of dude.
He’s a spud. Looks flash but rarely provides any real value. Let another clubs supporters debate his value for the next 3 years. Soldo is better/more honest an id rather him, plus develope Samson Ryan. I cannot wait to hear he is off our list.

We can trade him, but the only reason anyone would do that would be if they were losing their own player to free agency and didn't want to lose the compo pick
So its really circumstantial, Sadly if he wants out there really isn't much we can do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will we even get any Compo - I'm not sure he is in well enough paid cohort to even qualify us for anything if my old brain remembers anything fro the so-called secret herbs and spices recipe at AFLshithouse.

4 years. Good on him I say. That's a crazy deal for a bloke that's played 30 games in 6 years. All the best Mabs

Apparently we’ll lose CCJ as well

Good he is gone one of the most frustrating players to watch showed glimpses of taking over a game and mostly other times shirked the contest or just showed no urgency he will be lucky to get a game at fold Coast with witts back next season in the ruck

loved this play from Chol... too bad Castagna didn't finish it off
Plays like this are why Chol is/was the biggest tease on the list. He looks like Adam Goodes with a play like this and the next minute he will be nudged out of a contest by Caleb Daniel.

Good luck to him, there’s no way we could give him a 4 year deal so I don’t begrudge him for securing a future.

I personally think he’s a tease where he has games where he can be very damaging (vs Brisbane this year and Port in 20) but he can’t consistently put it all together.

Just my opinion but he has some big deficiencies. He’s not a natural forward, when he is he gets caught behind a lot and sometimes struggles with judging flight of the ball.
He’s a good centre bounce ruckman but gets completely out bodied at boundary throw ins where opposition really dominate clearances due to the above.

In simple terms, with Nank as our undisputed #1 there’s a struggle to find a clear spot for Chol when we have Jack and Lynch up forward. Maybe he could be the first choice ruck at GC where he will shine a little more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back