Player Watch #41: Mabior Chol - FA to GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Even if he just had those 2 sublime kicks to Jack he would have had more impact on the game than Clayton 46 backwards passes and turnovers Oliver lmao
What an absolute spud Oliver has turned out to be. He has genuinely been Melbourne-ised. He’s like Matt Crouch from Adelaide or Rockliff when he was at Brisbane. Him, Viney and Brayshaw all peaked in their second seasons. Hilarious.

Apart from the odd thing here or there i thought he was ordinary. Just does not get involved enough. as Jack would say hes where the ball aint.
He was far from ordinary. He mightn't do enough, 8 disposals says that, but 11 pressure acts (Rioli who is in the side for pressure acts has normally about 17), 3 tackles, 2 clearances and 4 score involvements says that when the ball is in his area at least he influences the contest. His foot passing and ability in traffic is way above average for a 200cm player.
But yes is still a tease, because with his skill set you want him to do more.

He was far from ordinary. He mightn't do enough, 8 disposals says that, but 11 pressure acts (Rioli who is in the side for pressure acts has normally about 17), 3 tackles, 2 clearances and 4 score involvements says that when the ball is in his area at least he influences the contest. His foot passing and ability in traffic is way above average for a 200cm player.
Only played 66% game time as well

Very ordinary mate very.

200cm bloke who has no impact in the air and is slaughtered in the ruck when asked to play there.
200cm and he rarely takes a mark or kicks a goal.

He should be there to give Lynch and Riewoldt a chop out but it rarely happens. Hes there to give Nankervis or Soldo a break but gets belted when in the ruck.
we might as well play a Grigg type.

As for Rioli i thought he was very poor again i just dont get all the love for this bloke.

Very ordinary mate very.

200cm bloke who has no impact in the air and is slaughtered in the ruck when asked to play there.

He should be there to give Lynch and Riewoldt a chop out but it rarely happens. Hes there to give Nankervis or Soldo a break but gets belted when in the ruck.

As for Rioli i thought he was very poor again i just dont get all the love for this bloke.
I get that he is not the type to lock horns with Max Gawn, but I thought he hit the packs hard in marking contests and was close to taking a couple of good grabs. He did give arial contests however and brought the ball to ground. Took your standard ruckman's mark on the last line which was good to see. Set up goals with nice passes to Riewoldt and Lynch who goaled.

When the ball hit the ground he was in the contest really hard and he uses the ball very well. Average no doubt in one aspect of the game, rucking against a monster like Gawn, the best tap ruck in the game, but the rest of his game wasn't.

Rioli is was out of sorts. Looks overweight and seems to have lost his pace and heart.

I think we looked better having him in the side. He's an aerial threat which we don't usually have, especially through the centre, where it's become fashionable of late for teams to try and pick us apart. His positioning lets him down sometimes, often placing himself between kicks but he'll learn given enough experience. I'd keep him in for the year.

I think we looked better having him in the side. He's an aerial threat which we don't usually have, especially through the centre, where it's become fashionable of late for teams to try and pick us apart. His positioning lets him down sometimes, often placing himself between kicks but he'll learn given enough experience. I'd keep him in for the year.
How is he an aerial threat? Because he is tall? Doesn't take near enough marks.

Got to a lot of contests and hit them hard enough. Could have taken a few but he was some height around the ground to at least make a contest. We have been going down the line and it is either Jack or Lynch. The extra tall without losing much in the other aspects of the game like pressure and tackling and good ball use helped us at the contest and didn't let the Howe's etc go third man up unopposed.

He crashes packs and has a good leap on him. Will start holding his marks like he does in the 2's once he settles. Makes oppo players think twice about going long down the line and sometimes that hesitation is all we need to shut them down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very ordinary mate very.

LMAO. The guy did well. Yes, he got towelled up by Gawn but so are 90% of the rucks in the AFL. Hardly a fair criticism. He attacked players bodies and he tackles with intent. His entries into the 50m zone which I rate as the second most important kick in football (behind accurate goal kicking) were probably the best in the side. With jack and Tom down forward he's been told not to crowd the area and thus is not getting into areas to kick goals. He gets a solid pass and stays in.

LMAO. The guy did well. Yes, he got towelled up by Gawn but so are 90% of the rucks in the AFL. Hardly a fair criticism. He attacked players bodies and he tackles with intent. His entries into the 50m zone which I rate as the second most important kick in football (behind accurate goal kicking) were probably the best in the side. With jack and Tom down forward he's been told not to crowd the area and thus is not getting into areas to kick goals. He gets a solid pass and stays in.

Spot on. Perfectly put, but it would be amiss not to highlight the following:

Mopsy’s point about the Chol Dog rarely kicks goals is some of his(Mopsy’s) finest work yet. To make that statement Mopsy had to go to incredible effort to ignore Mabior’s run of his first 7 games last season where he kicked at least one goal in each. And 9 in the 7 match stretch, his first proper run in AFL footy. So, you know, apart from the goal a game Chol gets, Mopsy is right, he rarely kicks a goal.

Of course Mabior’s 7 hitouts, 3 tackles, 1 clearance, 8 disposals, .4 of a goal assist per game is not so bad for a second ruck sometimes resting forward on rookie wages and who still looks on an upwards curve. Mopsy has noticed he is not quite as good as Polly Farmer though so that is quite insightful. 😂

Yes he can jump high no doubt. Crashes packs he does not.
Okay he might not crash packs as such but he did give a target and ran hard to make some of those targets. Due to his speed he is able to get to contests that other ruckman can't. Of course he doesn't read the play as well as the better rucks yet, but that will come, he really has only started playing ruck last year when Nank was injured and Soldo went up. Before that he was 90% a forward who pinch hit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back