Player Watch #41: Mabior Chol - FA to GC

Remove this Banner Ad

I was happy with Nank's game. He was never going to outreach the big O but was valuable around the ground. Apart from this week we've got teams that have 2 tall rucks. Who spend a lot of time on the ground. I think its the best use of our resources to switch Broad in for Balta & bite the bullet and play Balta fwd ruck. With Lynch & JR. Broad can take tall or small fwds.

We lost by bugger all against a very good side.

Lynch Comes in this week which means Chol goes to 3rd tall fwd/ 2nd ruck. He gets better match ups forward in that role and his actual game time is likely reduced.

He isn’t in great form right now but he is our best bet against most remaining sides and their ruck stocks.

God help us if Nank were to get injured during a game and Chol wasn’t in the side.
If Nank gets injured we don't win the flag. Marbs back up rucking may get us through one game no more. So may as well bite the bullet and get a forward line that can kick a winning score. Hence my wish is for Caddy IN too. I'm more confident about our ability to use the ball better in our fwd 50.

Watched him in the practice game, whilst he is a great kick for goal, probably our best , I don’t think he has the intensity or drive to make it , it’s a shame as he could be anything but wont.

thoughts

Watched him in the practice game, whilst he is a great kick for goal, probably our best , I don’t think he has the intensity or drive to make it , it’s a shame as he could be anything but wont.

thoughts
He's only 24 , his best years are the next four years.
He needs to seriously bulk up so he can contest properly in the forward packs.

thoughts
Footy nous , lacks it , doesn’t get to right spots often enough , call it what you will but it’s footy iq you got or you haven’t, I feel key defender may suit better where he’s taken to the ball rather than making the play

Weak footballer. Avoids the contest at all costs. Will be nothing but a list clogger at Richmond. tries to get cheap kicks out the back instead of smashing the pack. Will be Delisted / moved on at the end of this year. People who think he'll make a defender are kidding themselves. A good defender reads the play and intercepts the ball, is not led to the ball.
He'd be even worse in a defensive position. Imagine what a gun forward would do to that spud.

Last edited:
Chol is the worst kind of tease. He'll be invisible for an entire game and then do something breathtaking for a tall. And then it's like ' did you see that! we just have to persist with him, all he needs is one breakout game and boy what a player. And besides he's a tall, and we all know talls take longer, right?' Throw in Jack potentially being on his last legs and Soldo out for the year and the temptation to hold onto him until the very last moment is overwhelming. Hard to see him other than Todd Elton revisted.

as someone suggested already... put him on a wing/mid in the 2s for 10 weeks to sharpen up his nous and build his tank, if he dosent make a fist of it hes probably gonsky

(Log in to remove this ad.)

will be a premiership player this year
and i mean in the seniors...
im not giving up on him yet
CCJ rucked well and was competitive when he went fwd. Took a nice diving mark. I think he gets Chol's games as 3rd tall/back up ruck

Footy nous , lacks it , doesn’t get to right spots often enough , call it what you will but it’s footy iq you got or you haven’t, I feel key defender may suit better where he’s taken to the ball rather than making the play

I think he was trialed as KPD when he arrived for the first 2-3 years. Clearly wasnt up to it.

I wish he had it above the shoulders as he has all the attributes to be a special player. Not many if any players his size can move how he does.

If you lack the intensity or ability to read the ball or the play as a key forward or ruck you are definately not making it as a key defender.

I don't like to bag our own players, but I don't see why the coaching group rate him flash in the pan player and doesn't take the next step or improve year after year.Rather get a new kid and develop.

I don't like to bag our own players, but I don't see why the coaching group rate him flash in the pan player and doesn't take the next step or improve year after year.Rather get a new kid and develop.
Maybe he's doing what the coaches ask of him and they are still seeing enough improvement

If you lack the intensity or ability to read the ball or the play as a key forward or ruck you are definately not making it as a key defender.
That’s not entirely true at all, as a forward you make the play , as a defender you beat your opponent , not all defenders are interceptors that need to read it like a forward. Have you not ever heard most defenders are failed forwards, this is why

Remove this Banner Ad

Back