Player Watch #41: Mabior Chol - FA to GC

Remove this Banner Ad

It is great he has built some trade value through a standout game that got a lot of hype. Maybe increases his value from a late 3rd/4th rounder to late 2nd-mid to late 3rd.

Not an option at Richmond going forward.
Isnt he an unrestricted free agent?

You're right. I blanked, my bad.

But point remains. The contract $$ he gets from an opposing team will dictate the compensation. So more interest will mean a better pick.
Good old AFL secret herbs and spices im betting we will somehow have to cough up compensation despite losing Chol

If he leaves as a free agent it will most likely be circa $400k - $450k x 3 year deal
which we get 3rd rounder = nothing pick in the 50's

We're far better off working out a competitive deal for Marbs than just get a nothing compensation pick in a draft light on talls who won't require a lot of patience and development.

We've invested a lot into both he and CCJ, we must find a way to keep both, they go a long way to keeping our window open. Far more preferable scenario than starting all over again with young talls who have no chance of running out full seasons for years.

With little clarity over Soldo's availability next year, we'll be way more screwed if Nank goes down than we were this year playing Marbs solo or together with CCJ. Samson/Colina as a fill-in first ruck next year, anyone?

Another way of looking at this is to take a sustained glance at the market for backup options who we could conceivably get to replace Marbs and CCJ. The possibilities are very thin, are going to cost us *something* out of our cap (for anyone mature enough to contribute properly at senior level) and have so much less potential than Marbs and CCJ do.

We're far better off working out a competitive deal for Marbs than just get a nothing compensation pick in a draft light on talls who won't require a lot of patience and development.

We've invested a lot into both he and CCJ, we must find a way to keep both, they go a long way to keeping our window open. Far more preferable scenario than starting all over again with young talls who have no chance of running out full seasons for years.

With little clarity over Soldo's availability next year, we'll be way more screwed if Nank goes down than we were this year playing Marbs solo or together with CCJ. Samson/Colina as a fill-in first ruck next year, anyone?

Another way of looking at this is to take a sustained glance at the market for backup options who we could conceivably get to replace Marbs and CCJ. The possibilities are very thin, are going to cost us *something* out of our cap (for anyone mature enough to contribute properly at senior level) and have so much less potential than Marbs and CCJ do.
at last a thinking man, good post.

Our main problem will be keeping Mab's & Cj satisfied to stay with limited game time as well as reduced $$$

Both Cj & Mab's will be looking at around $450k a year and with games time attached and possibly 8+ year career at another club
I believe Jack will play 2 more years and Lynch another 4/5 maybe and its just unfortunate timing for the 2 boys as they are behind both and behind Soldo & Nank in the ruck and with 2 of them then 1 will most likely leave.

I would rather keep CJ as he is younger and has more upside and is a better foward threat than Chol but Chol has the better agility and athleticism

Our main problem will be keeping Mab's & Cj satisfied to stay with limited game time as well as reduced $$$

Both Cj & Mab's will be looking at around $450k a year and with games time attached and possibly 8+ year career at another club
I believe Jack will play 2 more years and Lynch another 4/5 maybe and its just unfortunate timing for the 2 boys as they are behind both and behind Soldo & Nank in the ruck and with 2 of them then 1 will most likely leave.

I would rather keep CJ as he is younger and has more upside and is a better foward threat than Chol but Chol has the better agility and athleticism

Good assessment, which I'm on record as mostly agreeing with. :thumbsu:

A few hundred grand shouldn't be an insurmountable issue when spread across the list and presented to the playing group as shoring up our future ability to contend. The bigger elephant on the room is game time, but that's also not insurmountable, IMO.

I'd be comfortable with really going easy on Soldo next year. Limited VFL game time, give him a season to fully get his body right going into 2023, he's there to fill a hole if needed in the meantime.

The rest may well be able to be fitted into the same side until Jack retires if we get creative, it's worth trying as a starting plan A for 2022 anyway. If we have a rotation of playing one tall permanently high up the ground as a marking 'get-out kick' wingman (which we often need to resort to anyway when our rebound gets bogged down), one in the ruck, two up forward and one on the bench.

If we felt that was taking away too much run to be viable and one of CCJ or Marbs had to go (on their decision), I'd keep Marbs.

The game really hasn't ever had a player with his skill set. He's currently beating most opposition midfielders for pace and agility when they try to shut him down, his marking and positioning is improving at a rate of knots, he's clearly shown that he can hold down the 2nd ruck/fwd role well (at this stage I think it's fair to say he's shown at least as much up forward as CCJ and more as a ruckman), and he's quite possibly the best kick of the ball for his size the game has ever seen.

In terms of which one could hurt us more if they reach their full potential, Marbs is clearly ahead for mine, but I'd do anything to keep both.

As much as ive loved Cholly and been a supporter, i feel we cant keep him for next year. Will never be the main ruck and his forward craft is too sporadic. He just cant string good games back to back. And also he spends a lot of time on the bench whereas Nank is playing a lot more of the game. Been with us since 2015 and not proven himself to be a consistent performer. I see him accepting an offer with a rival club as we cant match it as an unrestricted free agent.

As much as ive loved Cholly and been a supporter, i feel we cant keep him for next year. Will never be the main ruck and his forward craft is too sporadic. He just cant string good games back to back. And also he spends a lot of time on the bench whereas Nank is playing a lot more of the game. Been with us since 2015 and not proven himself to be a consistent performer. I see him accepting an offer with a rival club as we cant match it as an unrestricted free agent.
Would be great if he got offered a $450k x 3 year deal that netted us a 2nd round pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously all this talk about Chol CCJ is doing my head. The only way to find out if they're any good we need to play them when the team is firing. The way we are playing you cant really judge anyone.
Both should be played the rest of the year
with 1 rotating between Ruck-Fwd-Bench at all times

I want to see a foward line with all 3 of the talls played

I think he stays

How - he's free to anyone who he decides 'that sounds good'. He'll have some loyalty to a point but that washes out pretty early when enough promises are made. The thing I think he wants is forward play, I'm not conviced he even likes being in the Ruck - that's a judgement - nothing based on anything said to me. That makes me think the Bombers offer is not going to be that substantive - not sure it will yield us a great pick. Be amazed if some other Clubs doesn't grab him though with inducements including more Forward time.

How - he's free to anyone who he decides 'that sounds good'. He'll have some loyalty to a point but that washes out pretty early when enough promises are made. The thing I think he wants is forward play, I'm not conviced he even likes being in the Ruck - that's a judgement - nothing based on anything said to me. That makes me think the Bombers offer is not going to be that substantive - not sure it will yield us a great pick. Be amazed if some other Clubs doesn't grab him though with inducements including more Forward time.
My understanding is that Richmond has an offer tabled to Chol and it has been in consideration but Chol wants to explore his options
The offer would not be significant and t a guess in the 250k-300k range. Chol wants to stay t Richmond but is open to moving if a good offer is available at another club (understandably). Im thinking $350k-$400k x2 range would be the offer he would consider

My understanding is that Richmond has an offer tabled to Chol and it has been in consideration but Chol wants to explore his options
The offer would not be significant and t a guess in the 250k-300k range. Chol wants to stay t Richmond but is open to moving if a good offer is available at another club (understandably). Im thinking $350k-$400k x2 range would be the offer he would consider

I think he'll consider any offer, including Richmond's. If I'm right, he wants more forward time - but I may be over guessing that - we will see. Marbs is a really good bloke and he will be wrestling with this in his head - so we are in the frame still for sure. If he goes, I doubt it will be just for a ruck role and similar or slightly better money - that is my hope for him at least.

I wouldn't be paying him close to $400k.

Honestly if he's been offered 250-300 that's good money for his current output.

If he can't get some mongrel and go to another level then he's just a depth/list-clogging player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back