Player Watch #41: Mabior Chol - FA to GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Chol defensive marks...alot to like, he can read the ball, can jump, is agile...reckon he'd be our Cox Blocker.

m7O2g23.gif

1000% I was spitting chips when he wasn't picked vs Collingwood, plant this man in front of that clown he wont get near it.

1000% I was spitting chips when he wasn't picked vs Collingwood, plant this man in front of that clown he wont get near it.
To be fair not many of us knew how good these kids would be under the heat of AFL pressure...now we do...and we are now better for it!

Great game from Chol on the weekend!! :thumbsu:

That game indicated to me he has a good chance of developing further and really becoming a consistent good player at the highest level!!

Apart from the contribution, I liked his involving in the marking contests, his leap, his kicking was good to apart from possibly biting off too much in the third quarter in defence when the longer kick might have been the percentage play.

This is a real base Chol can develop further from!!!

He really has shown he has a lot of tools to compete at the highest level!! The fact he can compete in the ruck, especially with his leap, has a good kick and can kick goals, moves well and can impact defensively in aerial contests as well as present up forward and on the lead is enticing!!! :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks a genuine CHF / ruck which we have been crying out for. The highlight was in the last quarter with Dusty hitting him up twice and then Chol's passes to Stack and Lynch resulting in goals.

Other clubs will probably will be circling so might have offer him a main list spot.
I can't help but rant about selectors: Chol, Soldo and Garth were all capable of a block of games at AFL level last year. Maybe Soldo would've shown what he does now. Good in the centre but struggles around the ground. Maybe Chol produces what he has in the last couple of games. Maybe Garth would've been a bit protected/educated by having Rance around. And maybe recruited differently.

I can't help but rant about selectors: Chol, Soldo and Garth were all capable of a block of games at AFL level last year. Maybe Soldo would've shown what he does now. Good in the centre but struggles around the ground. Maybe Chol produces what he has in the last couple of games. Maybe Garth would've been a bit protected/educated by having Rance around. And maybe recruited differently.

Garth and soldo are barely capable now why do you think would have been then? Even though it didnt end well we were going for a flag last year not blooding youngsters

Chol is way ahead of soldo atm, much more mobile and suits our play better, I’d sacrifice small difference in tap outs to big difference in play.

As a 2nd ruck yes. But funnily enough playing as the main soldo offers more imo
But when Nank is back I would keep Chol in the side over soldo

As a 2nd ruck yes. But funnily enough playing as the main soldo offers more imo
But when Nank is back I would keep Chol in the side over soldo
I’d play chol as a first ruck ahead of soldo, I know it’s crazy but l don’t rate tap work on its own that important.
I’d say there’s probably 20% difference between the two in ruck tap outs. ( I could be wrong as I have no data to back this up, nor have l calculated this).
But l believe what chol does around the ground more than makes up for it twice over.

I’d play chol as a first ruck ahead of soldo, I know it’s crazy but l don’t rate tap work on its own that important.
I’d say there’s probably 20% difference between the two in ruck tap outs. ( I could be wrong as I have no data to back this up, nor have l calculated this).
But l believe what chol does around the ground more than makes up for it twice over.

For me it’s more about the more time soldo is in the middle it allows Chol to be utilised around the ground

If he’s stuck taking most of the hit outs at centre bounces he’s getting knocked around a lot more and can’t use his best weapon witch is his aerial work if that makes sense

Although Chol offers more in the middle atm than soldo as well we have midfielders who can compensate for that the extra hit outs to advantage are just a bonus

I took my dad, my sister, my brother-in-law and my teenage niece and teenage nephew to the game over the weekend.

My nephew is a huge Dusty fanboy, as are most Richmond supporting 13 year old boys I imagine, however Chol certainly made an impression, my nephew was so excited and wide-eyed whenever Chol took a good grab or kicked a goal, if Chol keeps it up he could overtake Dusty in my nephew’s affections. :D

He was so good over the weekend. Good to see him prove that he belongs at AFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back