Player Watch #41: Mabior Chol - FA to GC

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't help but rant about selectors: Chol, Soldo and Garth were all capable of a block of games at AFL level last year. Maybe Soldo would've shown what he does now. Good in the centre but struggles around the ground. Maybe Chol produces what he has in the last couple of games. Maybe Garth would've been a bit protected/educated by having Rance around. And maybe recruited differently.
Chol was about to be selected mid season last year But he broke his leg,, can't blame the selection panel for that one
Garth and solo you might be l right with those 2

gun.

do you guys think he will play all of the remaining games?
I ask for my supercoach team!
Consistency is his biggest issue. I have him ahead of Balta and in the best 22 for now, but it’s always hard to know with these inexperienced guys. They don’t have the runs on the board so one or two bad performances in a row and they’re out.

Nahhh don't see it...he's not big enough to Ruck and then play forward! Tall yes, but physically a weed!
Paddy Ryder was also a weed at his age. He has what Ryder has, hang time, he can jump early and get above the big guys. His last Q against the tiring Saints ruck was an example, jumped right over him. Will work really well with Nank down the track. Or CCJ.

He moves in slow motion, languid grace as a poster said a few months ago. And he has the most beautiful kicking style. Yes, you can say that these days.
He is the Mark Waugh of the AFL.
Good call- Mark Waugh like grace
It almost looks as though everyone else is frozen and Chol is doing some sort of freaky MJ moonwalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paddy Ryder was also a weed at his age. He has what Ryder has, hang time, he can jump early and get above the big guys. His last Q against the tiring Saints ruck was an example, jumped right over him. Will work really well with Nank down the track. Or CCJ.
Ok that was one game...cannot see him carrying the Ruck for a whole season plus...

Good call- Mark Waugh like grace
It almost looks as though everyone else is frozen and Chol is doing some sort of freaky MJ moonwalk
Mark Waugh is the cricket analogy but I am old enough to remember Maurice Rioli and he was the player I had in mind with that description. There was a game against Collingwood where Rioli glided through chaos in what seemed like slow motion yet no opposition player could put a hand on him. Mabior Chol shines with potential and hopefully, with effective guidance from our coaching team, will become one of the long term greats of our game. I see him as being the second X factor player, together with Stack, who will deliver us a flag this year.

Got a nice accurate raking left foot kick like Mark Bayes. I obviously haven't watched enough VFL because wasn't totally aware of that.

He moves in slow motion, languid grace as a poster said a few months ago. And he has the most beautiful kicking style. Yes, you can say that these days.
He is the Mark Waugh of the AFL.

Yeah, there's something there, isn't there?

I'm only wildly guessing here but I reckon it may be due to not having a natural affinity with the game so the body language does not quite fit - Opposition player assumes he'll do X and he does Y instead. In time this may be found out and we'll see if he can adapt once the opposition catches on.

I first saw him play in a praccy match against Hawthorn at Beaconsfield a few years back and although he gave it all I just could not see any future for the bloke. There was no ingrained 'nouse' for how the game is played. But then again this is a young bloke who has survived circumstances few of us could imagine. AFL does not come naturally. Think about it - as a nipper most of us were taught to kick / handle a footy at a young age by our dads or, if he was not around / unavailable / not interested then by a close family relative or friend. Chol had none of these things so was a couple of tables behind the eight ball. That he has persevered and become adept to the point of being among the best on ground in a win is just friggin outstanding.

What I've loved about the supporters of this club over the last three decades is although we have been s**t for the majority of the time we, as supporters, have always embraced the newcomers. I've seen it from the Cheer Squad to the Grog Squad to the outer. The shy, geeky kid kid with glasses, he is taken into the fold as he is one of us and made to feel at home. His joy and pain is just as tangible as the rest of ours'. On the field of course, is different, we demand quality but hell, many of my Tiger faves have been skill-deficient triers who gave their all in losing efforts.

Chol is not naturally gifted, but he gives his all and is trying his guts out. Sure, next week he may be found out or maybe the week after. But until then I'm gonna give 100% Tiger support to this outsider who has worn the jumper with pride and, as of last week, with distinction. If he makes it to the level of being a first picked member of the 22 then he will be on the way to being a Tiger legend. Until then, if he continues to put in the work and do his darndest then I'm prepared to remember him as a cult / trivia night player. But either way, I'm happy we brought him into the Tiger fold and embraced him and gave him a chance.

Mate MC is a beautiful kick of the footy, make a great CHF...
Lefty's have always been the best kicks timing, distance and accuracy wise in my experience.
No longer thinking Mabs is an athlete learning the game. The kick looks like something he was born with.
CHF yeah. Get the combo right with Lynch, Jack and who knows.

Lefty's have always been the best kicks timing, distance and accuracy wise in my experience.
No longer thinking Mabs is an athlete learning the game. The kick looks like something he was born with.
CHF yeah. Get the combo right with Lynch, Jack and who knows.
And the other skill i like about him is his ability to take a grab! even in a contested pack situation!
Imo he looks comfortable with his basic footy skills...my only concerns are both his bulk and his consistency!
Definitely like him at CHF, relief Ruck!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back