Player Watch #41: Mabior Chol - FA to GC

Here is one for the statistic haters!

Had to have a chuckle at this - Chol led the table for DT Breakeven this week. Effectively he had to give away 10 free kicks AND not get a touch to NOT reach his break even, and yet was still only 98% chance to exceed his break even. Someone must have seen him a a huge free kick risk :D

PlayerTeamPriceGAvgBreakevenLikelihood %
M. Chol FOR​
$245,000​
2​
81​
-29​
98%​

Willo_23

Senior List
Apr 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Talk about getting something out of nothing! Admittedly I probably didn't know enough about him or his progress in the VFL over the past few seasons, but at the start of this year I probably had him pencilled in as someone who probably wasn't going to be on the list next year.

So what happens next year? Will he be someone who ends up being traded just due to there not being a definite spot for him when we're all healthy? Or can he legitimately be a part of our best 22 even while Nank, Lynch, Riewoldt etc. are all playing?

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Talk about getting something out of nothing! Admittedly I probably didn't know enough about him or his progress in the VFL over the past few seasons, but at the start of this year I probably had him pencilled in as someone who probably wasn't going to be on the list next year.

So what happens next year? Will he be someone who ends up being traded just due to there not being a definite spot for him when we're all healthy? Or can he legitimately be a part of our best 22 even while Nank, Lynch, Riewoldt etc. are all playing?

Must keep him...

He loves Tigerland, too

Listclogger

March Champion
Feb 11, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond

Yes I think so - his mobility is an asset and Nank needs a chop out that’s better than a Grigg/Caddy type.

My only question is can we play those 3 + Chol + Balta?

Yes I think so - his mobility is an asset and Nank needs a chop out that’s better than a Grigg/Caddy type.

I think that Chol/Balta currently play the same "role" within the side as the Tall Utility. For most of the game we can only really afford to have two key forwards (Lynch & Riewoldt) and the Ruck (Nank), but Chol/Balta can play a range of roles in the side for parts of games (resting ruckman, tall wingman, midfielder for a really short stint, forward while lynch/Riewoldt is on the bench, etc.)

I think despite as well as Chol has played the past two weeks, the position still belongs to Noah Balta in the medium-term.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
I thought Chol had another reasonable game on the weekend, especially in the ruck.

What was interesting was when he took the mark and kicked the goal that he started initially away from Lynch contest and used his mobility and reach to win the ball.

JR made an interesting comment about giving Lynch space and trying to work together in the forward line not getting in each others way.

I think at times Chol was positioned a little too deep and too close to goal. I think once Prestia kicked it to Chol with a couple of Gold Coast players near the point side of the goals that was not really a effective option.

When JR comes in he can complement Lynch because of his ground ball ability and agility. I would like Chol to position himself out a little bit on the fat side of attack as an off centre option and alternatively a little further up the ground as a link option on the fat side flank where he can utilise his speed, mobility and reach more effectively in space!!

If McIntosh drifts away from the wing as a glove following Whitfield Chol can position himself on the flank side as a marking option for the midfield in transition and drift into the forward line when warranted or backline for that matter

Last edited:
I thought Chol had another reasonable game on the weekend, especially in the ruck.

What was interesting was when he took the mark and kicked the goal that he started initially away from Lynch contest and used his mobility and reach to win the ball.

JR made an interesting comment about giving Lynch space and trying to work together in the forward line not getting in each others way.

I think at times Chol was positioned a little too deep and too close to goal. I think once Prestia kicked it to Chop with a couple of Gold Coast players near the point side of the goals that was not really a effective option.

When JR comes in he can complement Lynch because of his ground ball ability and agility. I would like Chol to position himself out a little bit on the fat side of attack as an off centre option and alternatively a little furze up the ground as a link option on the flanks where he can utilise his speed, mobility and reach more effectively in space!!

Like you I thought Chol was more than handy on the weekend, and actually think he will be hard to leave out again while he plays like that. He has really surprised me. I always knew he was a lovely kick, but always saw his footy smarts as holding him back positioning wise. That old Dyerism, he's always where the ball ain't. That has happened much less so in the past two weeks, and he's looked very handy. Playing in the ruck he has looked quite good at times, beaten soundly at times as well, but second game up you have to expect that.

living_in_syd

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2009
sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Like you I thought Chol was more than handy on the weekend, and actually think he will be hard to leave out again while he plays like that. He has really surprised me. I always knew he was a lovely kick, but always saw his footy smarts as holding him back positioning wise. That old Dyerism, he's always where the ball ain't. That has happened much less so in the past two weeks, and he's looked very handy. Playing in the ruck he has looked quite good at times, beaten soundly at times as well, but second game up you have to expect that.

I thought he a lot better soldo. He follows up whereas soldo just stands there...

Mr Unbelievable

Premium Platinum
Nov 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal

Yes, in my opinion.... we must. It will give us soo much flexibility and the opposition might need to start planning for it as well.
Even if Balta is in defense .... just do it because I want to see how it works

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
pinpoint pass from the big Mabs

lZOl1Tf.gif

Back