Player Watch #41: Mabior Chol - FA to GC

Remove this Banner Ad

OK, so dropped this week and it may be a battle for him to get back in the side with Nank potentially returning for the finals too, but he's lit it up this year. If we do go all the way it will be in no small part to a number of lesser lights like Chol who have stood up when the injuries were mounting. Hopefully he/they get rewarded with at least a VFL flag.

He's had a good taste of it this year, can't wait to see what he can do next year. Hopefully he takes this and turns it into a massive pre-season.

Him, Balta and CCJ get me very excited for the next few years.

He's played pretty low game time as the second ruck at AFL level, hopefully its been pitched to him as a way to go back to the VFL, get a full game in as #1 ruck for a week or two and load back up to push for a spot in finals. Would like to think we have a new contract in front of him for a couple of years too.

Happy we have retained both Chol & Soldo

Richmond have invested a lot into both boys and i think the next 2 years will be when we see what they have to offer and great backup for Nank as well as 1 eye on the future with potentially big upside to both players.

Shai Bolton your turn

Great news. Have had high hopes for him for a long time now but this year he has finally started to cash in.

If he doesn't force his way back in this year, he'll be one of the guys keeping us high up the ladder next year along with Stack, Higgins pushing guys to keep standards high.

I still struggle sometimes to comprehend how competent a club we have become. :)

Chol from where he is coming from has done well and was always expected to be a 4-5 year project and is still very young for a rukman

I think the next 2 years will be where he really takes the next step and shows what he can do , He has every tool required to make it as a Fwd/Ruck and will be a handfull for defenders to matchup on when he takes the next step.

Very good signing and combined with Soldo/Nank/CCJ our ruck dept is sorted imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Richmond play another tall defender, or Broad gets dropped

Balta seems to be the favorite as the Rance replacement and Bigoa Nyuon is exicting by the sounds of things, however

I wonder if Chol is in with a shot. he doesnt really have a position yet in the senior team but made some good contributions this premiership season (both afl and vfl). I think he has all the tools to make it with some hard work and luck, good package; talent pace size high ceiling young etc.

If Richmond play another tall defender, or Broad gets dropped

Balta seems to be the favorite as the Rance replacement and Bigoa Nyuon is exicting by the sounds of things, however

I wonder if Chol is in with a shot. he doesnt really have a position yet in the senior team but made some good contributions this premiership season (both afl and vfl). I think he has all the tools to make it with some hard work and luck, good package; talent pace size high ceiling young etc.
I have always thought Chol would be a backman/ruck until 2019 where he looked more comfortable as a fwd
not sure if thats more to do with development as a fwd or natural.

Would like to see him given time in defence to see what he might be able to do , He has the speed / height / leap and now the strength but can he read the ball in the air to intercept and defend 1 on 1

I have always thought Chol would be a backman/ruck until 2019 where he looked more comfortable as a fwd
not sure if thats more to do with development as a fwd or natural.

Would like to see him given time in defence to see what he might be able to do , He has the speed / height / leap and now the strength but can he read the ball in the air to intercept and defend 1 on 1

23 soon, time for him to find a position, assuming he wants to play AFL football

hard to break into the forward line in the senior team and CCJ looks next ruck in line

23 soon, time for him to find a position, assuming he wants to play AFL football

hard to break into the forward line in the senior team and CCJ looks next ruck in line
Well we did give Hampson until 30 and remember Angus graham how long was he on the list

Chol turns 23 in january and im happy to have him as a rookie for 2 more years

Well we did give Hampson until 30 and remember Angus graham how long was he on the list

Chol turns 23 in january and im happy to have him as a rookie for 2 more years

Even if Chol doesnt find a spot he is an excellent depth player/option

199cm guys that are fast with good athleticism, can play back/fwd/ruck are not that easy to find

i too would like to see him hang around at least another year or two, all the big blokes become more important with rance gone; Chol, Balta, Miller,

Make or break season i reckon.doesnt do enough either as a ruckman or a fwd so far. As far as i can see this has also been the case in the vfl most of the time. really needs to go to another level in one of those roles.
His best chance would probably be as an undersized ruckman i just dont think he has the physicality for that role though.Needs to find a bit of mongrel and hunger.
Drafted back in 2015 and 23 at the start of the season and still a rookie,Yet its still about cameoes for him teasing what might be. i think its time to take the game to the next level stay in games longer and just find consistency they wont stay patient forever.

I guess when replacing Rance you are realistically looking for the next in line competent best 22 player, not a Rance clone because he is a one-of-a-kind but I think the closest replacement of what he offered would potentially be Chol.

Rance’s best attribute, to me, was the ability to while minding a man also bail out one or two teammates with great speed and athleticism and anticipation.

Purely from a physical point of view Chol would be my bet to recreate that, the anticipation maybe the impossible dream though

Make or break season i reckon.doesnt do enough either as a ruckman or a fwd so far. As far as i can see this has also been the case in the vfl most of the time. really needs to go to another level in one of those roles.
His best chance would probably be as an undersized ruckman i just dont think he has the physicality for that role though.Needs to find a bit of mongrel and hunger.
Drafted back in 2015 and 23 at the start of the season and still a rookie,Yet its still about cameoes for him teasing what might be. i think its time to take the game to the next level stay in games longer and just find consistency they wont stay patient forever.

Wrong !!

He is signed for 2 more years so 2021 will be that year

On the other hand, Chol is about a year younger than Soldo. Who himself seems to have a ton of improvement left in him

Both are project players types, Chol was in syria or whatever until he was 15 odd, and both player are natural ruckman which take the longest to come good

Chol played 9 games in the AFL premiership season this year which is a pretty good contribution

Remove this Banner Ad

Back