Past #41: Matt McGuinness - delisted end '22 - 0 NM games/goals - thanks Matty

Remove this Banner Ad

Ha. My kids have done that a couple of times.,

Well if he turns into a best 22 defender then that’s an unexpected bonus from my point of view.
lts an expected bonus for me. For some reason I think he might come good and have since we selected him.

Ha. My kids have done that a couple of times.,

lts an expected bonus for me. For some reason I think he might come good and have since we selected him.
We've given him 3 years now as a CAT B rookie.
2022 will be a big year for him.
Can he play seniors as a Cat B or has to get elevated etc?
I thought they changed the rule so he cant play but wasn't sure.

We've given him 3 years now as a CAT B rookie.
2022 will be a big year for him.
Can he play seniors as a Cat B or has to get elevated etc?
I thought they changed the rule so he cant play but wasn't sure.
You can have 4 years as cat b rookie now so he can still be cat b the year after (2023)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What an absolute win from a list management and development perspective. One injury and he will probably play some senior footy this year.
TBH I have not seen a lot of McGuinness play. But he does seem a lot more mobile than Walker.
I feel we went a little top heavy last year.
He could really help our structure.

Find it hard to imagine him as a KPD would certainly be a different style of defender to what we usually have.

The player type he reminds me of is Scrimshaw. KPP height but plays off a man more and relies on skills.
As long as he can intercept and compete one-on-one well enough, on top of his good leg-speed and skills, then McKay and Corr can lockdown a bit more and I'll be happy.

Find it hard to imagine him as a KPD would certainly be a different style of defender to what we usually have.

The player type he reminds me of is Scrimshaw. KPP height but plays off a man more and relies on skills.

The "type" we need desperately is a Ridley IMO. Great interceptor, Great kick & can play 1 on 1 if required (albeit not a pure lockdown).

I don't know enough about MM to know if he could be a version of that (surely not to the level of Ridley).

It's why I'm so big on Bazzo, from the few games I've seen of him think he fits that role well. Saw in a recent highlights package that he was taking kick ins, which speaks volumes for how a guy that is 197cm uses the footy.

The "type" we need desperately is a Ridley IMO. Great interceptor, Great kick & can play 1 on 1 if required (albeit not a pure lockdown).

I don't know enough about MM to know if he could be a version of that (surely not to the level of Ridley).

It's why I'm so big on Bazzo, from the few games I've seen of him think he fits that role well. Saw in a recent highlights package that he was taking kick ins, which speaks volumes for how a guy that is 197cm uses the footy.

Can't speak about Bazzo but it's a glaring need I agree.

I've only seen the same game footage of Matty McGuinness everyone else but can't really see a strong marking KPD in there. More than happy to be wrong.

Can't speak about Bazzo but it's a glaring need I agree.

I've only seen the same game footage of Matty McGuinness everyone else but can't really see a strong marking KPD in there. More than happy to be wrong.
From his draft write-up:

A talented utility, McGuinness could not have done much more for Tasmania Devils in the NAB League Boys competition this year. He was unlucky not to make the Allies side as an overager, but put together a really consistent year with his intercept marking, versatility and composure under pressure among his key strengths. Must build more size on his frame, but possesses an elite vertical leap, recording 89cm on the running vertical jump at the State Draft Combine. In doing so, McGuinness turned an area of improvement (he recorded just 72cm at the Rookie Me Combine 12 months ago) into a strength and added an extra string to his bow. The fact McGuinness can play at either end is a massive benefit, but it is his ability to win the ball and penetrate defensive zones coming off half-back with the bulk of his disposals coming from marks where he is perched back inside defensive 50 and provides a reliable head there. He still has some great athletic capabilities with a 3.03-second 20m sprint, but his endurance is a massive area of improvement, recording just 19.4 at the combine.

Having watched only 2-3 VFL games with him, the tank and frame remain the biggest issues. Not so worried about his intercept marking. I do like Bazzo too, but it wouldn't hurt having a bit of KPD depth.

A good trait for an interceptor defender is the capacity to read the ball in flight and I have seen him do that a bit in the few games I have seen of him.

Grabbed some stats of some players around the 195cm mark from https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2021
so these would be at the start of 2021. I've bolded some defenders who are known for intercepting/being quality users out of the back half, this is who we'd want Matty to become for us.

Elliot himmleberg 196cm 84kg
Dan mcstay 196cm 87kg
Eric hopwood 200cm 84kg
Oscar McDonald 196cm 82kg
Will Kelly 196cm 87kg
Nik cox 200cm 87kg
James Stewart 195cm 80kg
Harrison Jones 194cm 75kg
Brandon zerk-thatcher 195cm 77kg
Charlie Ballard 196cm 82kg
Jack lukosius 195cm 83kg
Ben King 202cm 87kg
Sam Taylor 196cm 87kg
Jeremy finlason 195cm 84kg
Denver Grainger-Barras 195cm 78kg
Jake lever 194cm 84kg

Harrison petty 195cm 82kg
Nick Larkey 197cm 82kg
Charlie comben 199cm 82kg
Todd Marshall 198cm 87kg
Logan McDonald 196cm 86kg
Nick blakey 195cm 82kg
Tom barrass 194cm 85kg

Aaron naughton 194cm 85kg

If Matty is 197cm and assuming he hasn't lost/put on any weight he's at 77kg. Realistically he need to put on another 7-10kg to be playing on that 3rd tall in many teams. Anybody have a handle on his speed/agility level? Could he go with a medium forward or will he have to play on talls? It seems these days beanpole fwds who have a good athletic profile are much more sought after than big power forwards. This means players like Matty who might have been too slight to play Def 10 years ago are in with a shot especially when they'll rarely be asked to go up against Gorillas.

Grabbed some stats of some players around the 195cm mark from https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2021
so these would be at the start of 2021. I've bolded some defenders who are known for intercepting/being quality users out of the back half, this is who we'd want Matty to become for us.

Elliot himmleberg 196cm 84kg
Dan mcstay 196cm 87kg
Eric hopwood 200cm 84kg
Oscar McDonald 196cm 82kg
Will Kelly 196cm 87kg
Nik cox 200cm 87kg
James Stewart 195cm 80kg
Harrison Jones 194cm 75kg
Brandon zerk-thatcher 195cm 77kg
Charlie Ballard 196cm 82kg
Jack lukosius 195cm 83kg
Ben King 202cm 87kg
Sam Taylor 196cm 87kg
Jeremy finlason 195cm 84kg
Denver Grainger-Barras 195cm 78kg
Jake lever 194cm 84kg

Harrison petty 195cm 82kg
Nick Larkey 197cm 82kg
Charlie comben 199cm 82kg
Todd Marshall 198cm 87kg
Logan McDonald 196cm 86kg
Nick blakey 195cm 82kg
Tom barrass 194cm 85kg

Aaron naughton 194cm 85kg

If Matty is 197cm and assuming he hasn't lost/put on any weight he's at 77kg. Realistically he need to put on another 7-10kg to be playing on that 3rd tall in many teams. Anybody have a handle on his speed/agility level? Could he go with a medium forward or will he have to play on talls? It seems these days beanpole fwds who have a good athletic profile are much more sought after than big power forwards. This means players like Matty who might have been too slight to play Def 10 years ago are in with a shot especially when they'll rarely be asked to go up against Gorillas.
His testing is above.

If Matty is 197cm and assuming he hasn't lost/put on any weight he's at 77kg. Realistically he need to put on another 7-10kg to be playing on that 3rd tall in many teams.

See that's the big ask here. He's not 16yo he's 21yo and had 3 years in the system albeit injury interrupted.

It's not impossible but for him to suitably bulk up in the region of 10kg on a frame that hasn't done it to date would be quite a challenge.

There was a kid on our supp list / rookie list in the 00s for those who remember - Stuart Cooper. Circa 194cm, agile as all **** and a dynamite tall forward at VFL level.

Trouble was that body was never going to get strong enough to even play an AFL flank and he left without a game.

Matty lasting 2 years extra in the system suggests his prospects are better but while he doesn't need to be Tarrant or Walker a defender does need to manage some body on body contesting at least to a Lachie Hansen level.

If that's in this guy's stars then he'll be a great prospect. I'm not writing off the idea but only saying from the sample out there at the moment I can't visualise him holding a key spot.

As an aside, the direction earlier in the year coming from the club was that Matt had moved forward and was being trialed there. Not sure if the view of him back in defence is from traits he's shown, list balance or necessity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back