Past #41: Matt McGuinness - delisted end '22 - 0 NM games/goals - thanks Matty

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting they see him as a forward. Personally thought he has shown much more as an intercepting half back.

Happy to see him sign on. The raw ingredients and Footy IQ is there, he just needs to gets his body to a point where he can compete with the big boys.
If he’s going to be a forward that evens up the depth charts a bit, even if he is a fair way back.

A rule tweak now allows MM or any Cat B rookies to play seniors without being upgraded:

'Maximum list sizes have dropped from 47 to 44 next season, inclusive of two Category B rookies who are now eligible to play as part of the revised Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Previously, Category B rookies needed to be upgraded in order to be selected to play AFL. '

Needs to put on some real size if he's to continue his career.
Still pretty small (twig) which I was surprised with when I went to watch training last week.
Maybe its just his body type but at AFL level he'll get pushed around pretty easily.
Great kicking ability and knowledge to put it in the right spot on the ground so I hope there's a consistent playing future for him at North but not sure where he fits in the current system.

Needs to put on some real size if he's to continue his career.
Still pretty small (twig) which I was surprised with when I went to watch training last week.
Maybe its just his body type but at AFL level he'll get pushed around pretty easily.
Great kicking ability and knowledge to put it in the right spot on the ground so I hope there's a consistent playing future for him at North but not sure where he fits in the current system.
Every single person said that about Kade Simpson.. also said that about Matty Lappin.. its rare but not out of reality

His future will really depend on how he goes at VFL level.

If he shows genuine ability there and improvement he will get another year.

If he gets 6-10 touches a game, it’s likely the end of the road.

His future will really depend on how he goes at VFL level.

If he shows genuine ability there and improvement he will get another year.

If he gets 6-10 touches a game, it’s likely the end of the road.
Would have to disagree.
Club seem to really like him and he's developing well for a guy with limited football exposure.
The fact that Cab B rookies stay outside the cap and can now play senior footy is a huge contributor to his longevity at the club.
From the footage I've seen he's got an amazing game sense and grown a few cms to almost be the same height as larkey now.
Budget darcy moore?

Would have to disagree.
Club seem to really like him and he's developing well for a guy with limited football exposure.
The fact that Cab B rookies stay outside the cap and can now play senior footy is a huge contributor to his longevity at the club.
From the footage I've seen he's got an amazing game sense and grown a few cms to almost be the same height as larkey now.
Budget darcy moore?
Your perception of his height is wrong, still at that tweener size.

He's very slight, and plays a very uncontested game, but he does move really well and has a really good boot on him. He'll be a slow burn but there is no guarantee that he will make it as an AFL level player. I can see him being groomed as an intercepting half back and expect the VFL will be his home for all of 2021.

He's very slight, and plays a very uncontested game, but he does move really well and has a really good boot on him. He'll be a slow burn but there is no guarantee that he will make it as an AFL level player. I can see him being groomed as an intercepting half back and expect the VFL will be his home for all of 2021.
His height is wrong?
I saw him at training..
He has also put on some size, not much but bigger than last year.

He'd be a long shot to make the grade I reckon. He's a Cat B rookie, so nothing to lose as he's got some talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 or 3 injuries to our KKP and we might need him in the seniors. That's a scary thought. I hpoe he puts on 5kegs before the seasons starts.:worried:
Has a great kick and game sense, he'll be ok.
DGB is about the same height and weighs less but is touted to play rd1 so its not such a big deal.

Said it in the draft thread that it is a ripper pick up.

He is a beautiful kick for a guy his size, and moves really well. Could see him playing that Nick Hayes interceptor style role in the future.
Good call. Judging by preseason reports, he is still a bit skinny, but his kicking is a real shining light. Could play across half-back and I am eager to hear reports about this progress during the intra-club matches.

Has a great kick and game sense, he'll be ok.
DGB is about the same height and weighs less but is touted to play rd1 so its not such a big deal.

Hawthorn doesn't have a choice.

Good call. Judging by preseason reports, he is still a bit skinny, but his kicking is a real shining light. Could play across half-back and I am eager to hear reports about this progress during the intra-club matches.

Still skinny but he has done a mountain of work this off season. Hasn’t put on much weight (only 1-2kg) but has significantly improved his core strength & balance.

Really hope the 2nd tier comp goes ahead and he can start to show what he is capable of.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back