Past #41: Matt McGuinness - delisted end '22 - 0 NM games/goals - thanks Matty

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He would still be able to complete a fair bit of work, especially fitness stuff, and if it’s 10 weeks that’s only the first couple of weeks of the season proper. He’ll be right.
Relegated to running.
Don't think he'll be doing much gym stuff while he waits for it to heal.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's lockdown all over again.

Don't know what you are talking about...

1611545517819.png

1611545533449.png

Another forward to impress throughout the course of the game was McGuinness, as the Tasmanian kicked two majors of his own and was crucial in swinging the momentum to the way of North Melbourne.

Initially drafted as a defender, Adams said McGuinness’ performance was indicative of the hard work he’s been putting in on the training track.

“He has the ability to float up the ground and get involved … his game is in pretty good order at the moment,” he said.

“He had a bit of an interrupted pre-season having had finger surgery, but now he’s finding some week-to-week continuity in training and is improving every week.

“He took some contested grabs as well today which I know he’s been working really hard on. It was a good performance.”

Matt McGuinness has slipped under the radar at times since being drafted in 2019, but a change of role at VFL level is seeing him stand up and be counted in 2021.
Primarily playing as a forward, McGuinness was instrumental in North Melbourne’s VFL pre-season win against Port Melbourne, kicking two crucial goals in wet and windy conditions.

The 20-year-old says his move into the forward line is like going back to his footballing roots.

“I was drafted as a defender, but I played local footy back in Tassie as a forward,” McGuinness told North Media.

“I can play both ends of the ground, but I feel like I’m building my game as a forward. I’d like to stay forward, keep building and get better and better each week.”

While the sun came out in the second half of the game against Port Melbourne, pelting rain and swirling winds restricted both sides early, as North entered the main break with just one goal and nine behinds.

Conditions like that often make it difficult for key forwards, but McGuinness was able to adjust his game on the fly.

“My mindset was just to stay strong in the contest, and when it dried out a bit just to provide a lead and keep coming up at the footy,” he said.

“I wanted to use my strengths like my work rate, being strong and not getting pushed off of the ball.

“I’ve been working on my contested stuff … so bringing other players into the game, it felt good.

“To finish the last practice game on a win and take that momentum is a good feeling and it’s really good for the boys.”

With the likes of teammates Will Phillips, Tom Powell and Charlie Lazzaro already making their AFL debuts this season, North is rewarding its youth.

McGuinness says seeing his young teammates earn spots in the AFL side only acts as motivation for the other young players at the club.

“'Nobes' (David Noble) said at the start of the year that if you’re having a crack, putting the work in and playing well, you’re every chance to be called up,” he said.

“I want to keep having a crack at the VFL and keep putting my hand up.

“I know I have to keep working hard and it isn’t going to come easily, I want to build up my weaknesses, improve my strengths and give it everything.”

marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
Probably the player I’ve least followed on our list.

Anyone here really keen on him?
Where do we see him playing if he were to push into the A’s?

Krakoueraddict

Team Captain
May 8, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's light but in a forward line with Larkey and one of Campbell/Xerri his size shouldn't be an issue. Anyone know what his tank is like? Could he play the high half forward/tall winger role?

Back