Past #41: Matt McGuinness - delisted end '22 - 0 NM games/goals - thanks Matty

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If we have a couple of decent cat B rookies on the radar I can see him going.
Never does the club any favours holding players who get consistently injured.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Literally costs us bugger all to have him on the list. Doesn’t take up a list spot and would cost bugger all cash.

Considering he is a key position player I’d happily give him another year

Nah, it’s not a salary thing anymore.

The soft cap is stretched to breaking point at clubs, you cant consume coaching resources on players just because you can.

Development coaches have enough on their plate without adding players unlikely to ever make it.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Did they change the cat B rules so he can have a 3rd year on the list?
I dont see him taking a senior spot if that becomes the only option.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Nah, it’s not a salary thing anymore.

The soft cap is stretched to breaking point at clubs, you cant consume coaching resources on players just because you can.

Development coaches have enough on their plate without adding players unlikely to ever make it.

People seem to always miss this. Every player at the club costs something.

It's not like they stick a Cat B player in a hyroponics room and let them develop. There's coaches, conditioning staff, dieticians, physios, admin staff etc etc handling the overhead and logistics for each player.

Not commenting on Matt specifically but the cost of having a Cat B player who's unlike to be in the club's plans exceeds the cost of having no Cat B player.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
People seem to always miss this. Every player at the club costs something.

It's not like they stick a Cat B player in a hyroponics room and let them develop. There's coaches, conditioning staff, dieticians, physios, admin staff etc etc handling the overhead and logistics for each player.

Not commenting on Matt specifically but the cost of having a Cat B player who's unlike to be in the club's plans exceeds the cost of having no Cat B player.
We arent a charity KC. If they like MM chances of developing further its a no brainer to keep him. But keeping him for keepings sake costs resources as you have suggested. Id like to think if MM is moved on we park a project ruckman on our Cat B list

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
We arent a charity KC. If they like MM chances of developing further its a no brainer to keep him. But keeping him for keepings sake costs resources as you have suggested. Id like to think if MM is moved on we park a project ruckman on our Cat B list

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Spot on mate. Keeping a player on because of low cost is like paying for stuff you'll never need to get a tax deduction.

Exactly as you say - if we see Matt as future North player, keep. If not, say goodbye. The same as any other player. He's not a speculative high risk-reward project, like some 208cm ex-volleyballer or something.

hellas_johnny

Premiership Player
May 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Melbourne Hellas
When the club put him in for surgery noble said there could have been a cube. Chance of him being back last game or so but that they were looking at the bigger picture. Somthing along those lines. That to me tells me they'll give him anther deal

When the club put him in for surgery noble said there could have been a cube. Chance of him being back last game or so but that they were looking at the bigger picture. Somthing along those lines. That to me tells me they'll give him anther deal
Think it was Rawlings not Noble.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

One of the few decent norms in football is that they usually treat listed players respectfully when considering surgery etc. I've tried to guess at player's futures using this criteria before in the past and been wrong most of the time.

They'll speak about McGuinness or whoever else as being part of their planning - until they're not.

Back